What are the weak links in the drivetrain?

sleeper

l0ch0w":2lvvf4rz said:
Hold on now? The torsen rear ends break, but what about the stock open diff? Is a cusco LSD the only way to go if you want over 500whp? Welding the diff would eat tires like crazy and im not a big fan of that...

Yupp, the rear diff brakes.
The open ones does not, the stock 165 rear diff is actually have stronger gear than a 185\205 diff since it does not have to have room for a thorsen unit.. ( thicker gear.) So welding that would give you the strongest "stock" diff you can have.

It will eat a little more tyre, but you can buy alot of tyres for 1600usd..

tubasteve

sleeper":2ilb8bfa said:
There is no clutches in the stock rear diff.. a thorsen unit is built in a completely different way.

I'm sorry your right...I was confused about the other posts I was reading.

klue

sleeper":dpf4btuu said:
tubasteve":dpf4btuu said:
Well, if you have welded your diff, it better be a track only car.

Why??

you will have no differential action, meaning no allowable difference in wheel speed, meaning if you take a low speed turn your inside wheel will not be allowed to go slower, so you drift :p

sleeper

klue":1it2v8iy said:
sleeper":1it2v8iy said:
tubasteve":1it2v8iy said:
Well, if you have welded your diff, it better be a track only car.

Why??

you will have no differential action, meaning no allowable difference in wheel speed, meaning if you take a low speed turn your inside wheel will not be allowed to go slower, so you drift :p

Well, i know this ( since i am running a st165 with a welded center and rear diff..

And from what i feel, the positives are far better than the negatives.. the only problems you will have is that the car will eat some tyres if doing tight parking.. and it will be almost impossible to push the car when turning..

Positives: Better controll under hard driving, the rear diff won`t explode from hard launches,

I guess it all depends on what you are using your car for, if it`S a near stock car you use as a daily ride, i guess it`s not a good idea.. but if you plan on doing some 1/4 mile racing or it`s a high hp car and you don`T want to use 1600++usd for a cusco unit... this is really not as bad as some people think!

l0ch0w

nobody mentioned my post about how uneven tire wear between the front and back will likely cause Viscous Coupling failures.. hell, not replacing all 4 tires at the same time can cause VC failures, wouldnt this also?

sleeper":2g3x136f said:
There is a guy here with a (tjdubble07) who tuned his high hp car in 2wd mode, and if i`m not remembering wrong, he found out that the gearbox would take about 500ft punds before it broke in fwd mode.

HAHA yea just DON'T drive on the road in FWD mode as it only takes a couple minutes for this to happen
IMG_0002-3.jpg

which is this part in the centre diff
Untitled2.png

alltracman78

loudstealthGT-Four":2ws3e482 said:
HAHA yea just DON'T drive on the road in FWD mode as it only takes a couple minutes for this to happen
IMG_0002-3.jpg

which is this part in the centre diff
Untitled2.png

That's actually not part of the center diff. :)
That's the sleeve that engages/disengages the shaft for the center diff.

The center diff is inside the transmission, not in the transfer case.