Ac removal help

celigts

So I want the ac gone. How do I remove decompress the system without paying for it?

I can remove everything going to the compressor right?

I'm so new to doing my own work and laid off so I have the down time with the car so I'm taking this time to save some labour costs.

Thanks guys.

celigts

bmt":2yioamv4 said:
AFTER you get the refrigerant removed. Go here,

http://www.gtfours.co.uk/

Look on the left menu, go to the How to, pull down menu. 8th on the list, Remove air con.

Cheers :D

This is just what I needed :D gonna try this out this week and I'll just be leaving the ac pump in cuz I can't change the belt or pulley yet. I should be fine doing this right?

bmt

celigts":18r5wbts said:
bmt":18r5wbts said:

Look on the left menu, go to the How to, pull down menu. 8th on the list, Remove air con.

This is just what I needed :D gonna try this out this week and I'll just be leaving the ac pump in cuz I can't change the belt or pulley yet. I should be fine doing this right?

Yup, but do get rid of it asap it's redundant and weighs alot and still puts drag on your motor which saps POWER!! :shoots:

bmt":3tf3ay2l said:
celigts":3tf3ay2l said:
bmt":3tf3ay2l said:

Yup, but do get rid of it asap it's redundant and weighs alot and still puts drag on your motor which saps POWER!! :shoots:

The A/C pump only pulls power from the engine when the A/C is turned (On) inside the car. It just free spins when its turned (Off) and has no effect on the engine.

tommy8768

Why get rid of the AC? Are you building a full on race car? If not its stupid not to have it. Obviously you are not building a race car if you are new to wrenching on your ride...Leave it I say. Just add yourself another 50 horsepower to make up for it :)

Corey

I didn't notice anything when it came to freeing up power. (When off ofcourse, which it was 90% of the year)

What I did notice was improvement in handling during initial turn in.

RC bumper helped alot, AC removal helped alot (the whole system is heavy), and ABS delete helped, and Smaller battery helped.

All that ads up to way way less understeer.

When I first purchased my car I went for a drive with a friend and his FD on some twisty roads. At one point while trying to keep pace with the FD, the Four damn near understeered off of the road.

Ive now removed over 170lbs from the front of the car. He has added 300 Hp to his RX7.

On twisty roads last weekend the Four did much much better at keeping pace in the corners. (Mind you the car was rolling about like a ship in high seas, but it didnt understeer once).

In the straights it was hopeless haha.

Just some food for thought - weight is the enemy in these cars.

Edit: Plus, removing weight is free (usually) :)

celigts

Definitely good to hear there will be control gains from removing this. I'm in the process of removing it now and was nice having the gtfour forum to follow as a guide line.

Gonna get the room I need for the front mount :)

Question tho. What do I do with the oil cooler?

celigts

Got it all out. Some pics

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336326683.895112.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336326683.895112.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 3,180
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336326712.727330.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336326712.727330.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 3,180
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336326801.559251.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336326801.559251.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 3,180

celigts

tommy8768":2146pwes said:
Why get rid of the AC? Are you building a full on race car? If not its stupid not to have it. Obviously you are not building a race car if you are new to wrenching on your ride...Leave it I say. Just add yourself another 50 horsepower to make up for it :)

Lol! Na I wanna swap it out to make room for my fmic. I haven't really had the "luxury" of having working ac in the last 3 cars I've had so don't see why I'd wanna keep it :)

I did or do have trouble getting rid of 1/4 of the hose so it's just sitting in the bay cut lol but not coming out haha. Looks silly but no other options as i don't know how to get them out.

lumbercis

image033.jpg

http://www.nerocam.com/SCC_TAP.asp

:shrug:

Killtodie

Bumping an old thread here.

Is there an alternative for the super expensive grooved pulley?
Its $150 new. I've been trying to figure out what model vehicle its from so I can find it at the junk yard, so far it lists Celicas.

So is it just a idler pulley from a non-ac Celica?

88st165

Ive been running the stock smooth one. Not ideal but it hasnt been a problem. It could get you by for a while until you get a grooved one if you're really worried about it.

Killtodie

athousandleaves":1jzzzl8t said:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=201193121978&alt=web

Pretty sure this should fit...

Also any non-AC 3SGE would likely have one of these. Maybe the ST162? Rav4?

I pulled my AC last week, can anyone confirm that that pulley will work? Currently running on the stock one.