Project CMS

sMARTINside

I'm also a crazy Caster fanatic. I talked so much about it to my entourage that they got tired hearing me talking about it! That is what I did: Gave maximum possible caster, and then a little camber. On my Tercel, it really made difference keeping the grip in front, wearing the tires evenly and keeping traction on the inside wheel, in a turn. But at 4 degrees, I'm at the maximum that I can go, using the stock mounting points for the strut tower and lower control arm. :cry:

CMS-GT4

So I am likely going to start taking things apart soon. The sooner my big things are done, the sooner I can sell the Z. My major to do is fix the AC and the BBK hub conversion.
This is the PDX event that happens here. Even though driving sucks here, there is lots to do car wise. I do not know if I will make it to this event, but I will try.
http://www.stlpdx.com/

On a note on brakes. I think my stock brakes actually did well for autox. I was able to lock up the tires and they were responsive. I doubt they would do very great at the track event though. I took them as they are to the dragon, and they did ok. Fade was not horrible, but they were still not perfect. They were better than when they were stock. I am running port pads as well as some high temp fluid. That combo helped out a lot.

CMS-GT4

Well its official, the Z is for sale. Its possible I already have a buyer but he is looking at his money situation now. I hate selling the car, but I do not need a 2-seater any longer. The alltrac is solid enough to be my only car, especially after may 1st when I won't have to really drive much anymore. My only big projects left is the A/C and the brake conversion. Both of which I can not do right away anyhow, so I am going to work on smaller things like my lip project. I got some fiber glassing materials and I am going to start making stuff soon. I am starting with my brackets for the lip, then once I get a hang of it, maybe some nicer items.

Boo_Guy

Whats needs fixing with the AC? Have you converted to the R134a?

I just bought 14oz. of R12 for mine to go in after the leak is repaired. :D

CMS-GT4

My system has been converted to the newer chemicals.
I just need the wiring fix to make switch on the compressor with the 205 ecu. Someone is working on it, but its just a matter of their shop finishing it and sending it to me. Having a working AC especially here, is a must for me. And since I want this car to be able to take around my new baby, AC is a must.

CMS-GT4

So I had been working on cleaning my calipers. I have used dish soap, wire brushes, brake cleaner, etc... and I am still cleaning grime off of them. I am getting close though. I used a dremel and ground out the scratches on the front. I would almost strip the whole thing down to bare metal, but I want to just get it good enough to paint. I am not sure on color yet. I was sort of between red or gold for the calipers. I decided I am going to rebuild them before using them. I do not know the milage, and I would rather not take any risks when it comes to braking.
I am going to order ST205 front caliper overhaul kit, 04479-20260
So hopefully that will have me prepared for anything the car might need. I also have a new master cylinder I won for like a buck on ebay from an ex member here. They did not pack it well, and the rubber inside was exposed. Hopefully there is nothing to worry about. I am used to toyota stuff wrapped in plastic bags, but this had been opened.

I also started redrawing the alltrac shirt I started on so long ago. I am hoping to have this done soon so I can print myself on. I might make more if people are interested.
427ce072876011e1a87612313804ec91_7.jpg

toayoztan

Any chance for the CS edition?

I'd get a shirt.

Oh, and not sure how technical we are getting, but on the rear brakes, they are mounted on the rear side of the rotor, not the front side.

Bryan

CMS-GT4

There will be a CS version as well. I will fix the rear brakes. lol. There is also a 165 version based on the shirt I am making for Legacy of Dan.

CMS-GT4

So here are some quick mock ups for picking colors for the caliper. I am still sort of leaning towards black since these are so hard to clean, and then I can leave the inside alone and it will all still blend in.

img1379ku.jpg

toayoztan

Black or the Gold.

I prefer a dark color too. I'll be doing my calipers in Bronze Florida Metallic, which is just black/dark grey with bronze metallic pearl as a topcoat.

Bryan

CMS-GT4

I am between the black and gold. I'll keep cleaning before I decide. I might wait to paint the fronts until I rebuild them. I need to read up on that first.

athousandleaves

I'd say go for gold, that's what I wanted to do with mine when I get them on.

I hope you're not still considering mounting the brakes on the stock location and using an SVX or milled rotor; I've almost finished my bracket for the 205 calipers and have found that using the stock mounting ears is a dangerous way of mounting them!

Just have to do a few more CAD drawings and then I'll be making a post about the bracket & setup.

CMS-GT4

I am curious to see what you came up with and why you think stock mounting location is unsafe? I have not decided what I am doing yet, but I am trying to have my calipers and everything ready so I can do it all at once when I do know. I was hoping someone came up with a solution.

Candy_GTFOUR

CMS-GT4":128uakh3 said:
I am curious to see what you came up with and why you think stock mounting location is unsafe? I have not decided what I am doing yet, but I am trying to have my calipers and everything ready so I can do it all at once when I do know. I was hoping someone came up with a solution.
I second that, why are the stock mounting locations unsafe? everything I've seen as after market rotors and calipers is: impreza 2005 rotors (5by100 bolt pattern) with either wilwood calipers, brembo calipers, porsche (which are brembo) and a few other after market brands. They all had brackets to the stock mounting location..

athousandleaves

I have nothing against properly designed brackets mounted to the stock location, that's what my kit is employing.

Milling/modifying a rotor, caliper, ball joint or your hubs to mount the calipers is very unsafe.

I should be able to post a new thread by tonight discussing some of my findings and specs for my 205 kit which requires no milling, drilling or modding - just bolts on, rotor included!

Candy_GTFOUR

athousandleaves":1s37dbo0 said:
I have nothing against properly designed brackets mounted to the stock location, that's what my kit is employing.

Milling/modifying a rotor, caliper, ball joint or your hubs to mount the calipers is very unsafe.

I should be able to post a new thread by tonight discussing some of my findings and specs for my 205 kit which requires no milling, drilling or modding - just bolts on, rotor included!
AH! that being said,I think we misunderstood you then. Those things are made to spec for a reason so its normal that grinding down things that aren't supposed to causes a weakness. I'm going to see my buddy's boss who's an engineer machinist to make me some high quality brackets for the front and back.

athousandleaves

Candy_GTFOUR":3nk1ka9q said:
AH! that being said,I think we misunderstood you then. Those things are made to spec for a reason so its normal that grinding down things that aren't supposed to causes a weakness. I'm going to see my buddy's boss who's an engineer machinist to make me some high quality brackets for the front and back.

...or you could save yourself the trouble and just wait for my kit to be made available ;D
also the rears don't need any brackets made, just a 1 mm hub centering ring.

CMS-GT4

So based on the dimensions from this page the supra pads and the st205 pads are the same thickness. I was a bit concerned they might have thickness difference. This will make it easier when planning for rotors.
http://www.brakepartssuperstore.org.uk/ ... 11443.html

I have my calipers pretty much cleaned up and primered. I think I am just going to go with black. Its all going to match easier, and not look as dirty once they get more use in.

photogxu.jpg