Front Drivetrain Noise: Video !

bridge47

Tubasteve is right on about those Subie bearings. In the shop I worked at 12 yrs ago we were not allowed to replace just one wheel bearing on Subes. Too much of a chance of comeback. So we did both at frt or rear of car. And about 50K miles was the due date on these. And funny how resonance works. Could've sworn it was the frt bearing when it was the rear, etc.

Another tip... Can you creatively extend your stethoscope by taping it to the car where you suspect noise?

If it is really loud, a vacuum hose held to ear might be all you need.

Corey

Maybe a long length of vac line can be used to extend the stethoscope hoses?

I tried another test tonight on the highway. While driving along with the noise occurring, If the car is thrown into neutral, the noise instantly disappears. I then rev the engine to the 2500-3000 range while coasting - No noise.

It definitely needs torque of some kind to produce the noise. I think that also rules out input bearings right?

Would the fact that it doesn't occur while coasting also rule out wheel bearings? Or is this type of noise possible with wheel bearings?

Thx

Corey

I wish :(

I donated my old E150F to local trying to do an engine swap.

Will see what the drivetrain shop finds this friday.

My clutch is starting to go, can also hear the throwoutbearing now. So this summer I'll be dropping the motor again - I'll see about getting the tranny torn apart and refreshed.

I'll let ya know what the shop finds on friday.

Corey

Well,

Sadly the drivetrain shop owner couldn't find the problem. Didn't even know where to start because the noise can't normally be replicated on the lift.

Didn't get charged for anything.

ugh

Darkstar20999

still no luck on finding out whats makeing the noise ??? :shrug: my alltrac has been makeing a noise like that for 3 weeks now :doh: at first i was thiking it was just a bad tire because one was worn out and i was buying new tires and rims in another 2 weeks after new tires and rims still there :doh: seems like just driveing the car or just coasting out of gear its keeps up with the speed of the car just makeing a bump bump bump sounds i go fast it keeps up faster i slow down and it keeps up but slow seems to be comeing from the left front wheel or maybe from under the car :shrug: where i would sit i replaced the left wheel bearing and its still there im not sure what itis :bangshead:

l00k0v3rth3r3

still got the noise? my 4runner was doing this same thing a few months back...it ended up being the U-joints on the drive shaft... my problem was in the rear but i'd jack that baby up and check the play on them... felt like a massage chair while driving, it was awful

Corey

Hey guys,

Yea noise is still there. Ditching the poly motor mounts helped melow it out a bit, and it changed the rpm it occurs at slightly. So its a bit less annoying.

Will see if the new cf propshaft has any affect. If not, then it may very well be in the tranny.

But I have a new theory: its some kind of harmonic noise produced by the entire front end of the car.

When I was changing my mounts, (with the lateral xmember removed) I whacked the long. xmember with my hand and the whole nose of the car reverberated with a thud. And that was with the oem mounts installed.

The thud deminished once the lateral xmember was bolted up.

I've changed a lot on this car over the last year. Maybe some combo of parts (aluminum crash bar) etc is causing this rpm specific noise.

monkninja

I need new wheel bearings in the front, they have pretty bad play but they are also making squeaky sounds but they are only there at certain times just like your problem. It seems I can coast just fine but when the car is under load or breaking that is when it makes sound. I was going to suggest that it may be in the rear but I was beaten to it haha. Good luck though, I hope that you find it. It's such a bummer to see some annoying problem with such a beautiful car.

gtfourcs

So I believe I have the exact whoob whoob whoob noise. Mine only makes the noise when im giving it a fair amount of gas and if I baby it I wont hear it. I cant just rev the engine to get the noise and it doesnt make the noise everytime, starts about 2500 rpms and dies out by 3000. At first I thought it was something with turbo but idk. Just really weird.

Did you ever figure it out?
Ill try and get a video of mine once I put everything back together as it pretty audible at least to me.

Corey

Never found a solution. Pretty sure its in the gear box. Ive since added a 1 piece CF prop shaft which has added its own assortment of noises to the mix lol.

camry90

i have pretty much the same mods as you and my car has been resonating since the rebuild.... i guess that's the price to pay for driving a track ready car? :doh: