What do you think it should cost for head service

OutToWinPAHC

I am freshening up my 90 all-trac. The clutch was shot so while the motor is out i figured I would go over it and take care of things. Doing the complete timing set including the pumps, front and rear seals, and all gaskets. I did my reading and decided to use a stock thickness Cometic head gasket with ARP stud. Whenever I do head gaskets I always get the head checked out, cleaned, do the stem seals and will have it milled if required.

So once the head is off I am dropping it off at the machine shop. I had used the same shop for about 10 years but the last job they did was way to much (milled a greddy intake manifold for a RB25DET). So I started looking around for a new shop and have found another machine shop recommended by my tuner who is well known in my area.

So to take apart, clean check, and mill if needed and reassemble the head I was quoted $300.00 its been a while since I have done a 16 valve 4 cylinder head. Price seems fair, what do you guys think? Motor is staying stock cams.

OutToWinPAHC

Yeah sounded dencent to me. My last machine shop used to be fast, and decently priced especially for return customers. Last time I needed work done they milled my LS6 heads to 62cc and then had to machine the intake sides to match the intake manifold runner and that ran me $300.00. So I dropped off my greddy intake manifold because I had a leak issue near the coolant galley and told them I just wanted it milled straight. The thing was fully stripped and clean ready to go. 10 days later it was ready (WTF) and then the price..... 360 bucks. For one milling on a single plane surface. So after 3 stoker motor jobs, countless port and polish and small job it's time to try someone new.

Thanks for the reply.

88gt4DE

Good luck with the project. Philly huh ? keep up with the northeast posts for meets. I'll be up at the philly airport later. Not in my trac though ... torn down at the moment ...