intercooler help please.

mr2_dori

Hi my name is Troy. I just bought a RC WTA IC. I no I need water lines, pump and heat exchanger to make this thing work. Any suggestions on oem or aftermarket parts would be easier to get it working? As of right now i currently have ARC top mount ATA. the car is currently running 10-12psi depending on the heat outside. With the RC ic how much can i boost safety before it gets heatsoak? Thanks for all the help in advance and any and all info is welcome.

4rsnduction

G'day champ,
I also have an ARC top mount installed and have an RC ST185 intercooler system sitting in my shed, so i hope i can help a bit.
I would suggest getting after market parts or custom made parts, like a double row heat exchanger....nothing could help you keep temps down more than double row radiator.......while the stock system can dissipate the heat at stock boost levels, once you start turning up the boost and driving like that for long periods of time you will notice the temps dont drop fast enough (assuming your smart enough to wire in a water temp gauge)

With a system that has an increased internal volume a larger intercooler water pump is a must. Its all about pressure and flow......just keeping stock pressure/flow rates is fine for stock parts/boost but with a double row core your pump will need extra balls to keep the flow rate acceptable.

If you spend a little more money than you think is necessary at the beginning the system will cope with anything you throw at it in the future.....including stop/start city driving with lots of boost in between.....Here in australia its hot all the time, in summer a 40degree day (104f) is normal and the intercooler water temps will skyrocket if the pump isn't running all the time and the core is too small.

Before i got a double row core made i had problems keeping the water temps under 60degrees while sitting at a set of traffic lights...and that's with the pump running constantly..... with a double row core the hottest it runs it 8degrees above ambient...but that is also with 2 small thermo fans helping to move air

The intercooler itself is a robust unit with short internal travel paths, it can hold more boost than most people use for street applications.........pretty much if you treat that baby right, she'll see you through a shit storm

mr2_dori

wow, thanks and i have to say i love Australia. I have been there three times and all have been the best times ever. so what kind of pump would you recommend and you also said two row heat exchanger i think fluidyn makes one right? was for lines for water does it matter what kind they are?

4rsnduction

It dosnt matter what the hoses are made from but i would recommend a sidewall thickness of at least 5mm.
Its a good idea to use 90degree fittings instead of making the hose try and bend around a corner, this way there are no kinks....
I once used soft silicone hose with a 3mm wall thickness and it worked....barely.....but my clamps ended up chewing on the thin silicone and there were kinks here and there from the pressure of the pump.....had to get a braided pressure hose from a local distributor to fix the problems.
Try THIS LINK to give you an idea of what size water pump you should use...i think this is the 2nd largest or largest pump bosch makes....pretty much the larger the pump the better you will do.......