Cracked Block :-(

gt4play

So, keeping a long story short, I determined this past weekend that I have a crack in my 93 block. I've been wrestling with a steady coolant leak for longer than I can remember. I always thought "eh, it's the 'other' hose from hell just below the water pump...I'll get to it". Well, I finally got around to replacing it - only to see I still had a leak from the same general vicinity. Awesome.

Ultimately, I was really hoping for a popped freeze plug, but turns out there's a fracture in the outer portion of the block, just above the freeze plug that sits right behind the water pump. It's a vertical crack that runs right into the freeze plug cavity. WTF!

I've never run this car hard, always had coolant in it, etc. Granted, there was a period where it sat for a long period of time..but can't imagine 'sitting' would result in something like this.

I'm told these things can be repaired (only after everything is pulled and the block is stripped bare). But I'm wondering if I should just go with a replacement.

I do NOT want to sink a ton of money into this. An investment in time is okay - I have the space in the garage to casually work on it. Just kinda bummed - I was looking forward to having her out this summer. :-/

-C

block_crack_1.jpg

block_crack_2.jpg

celi_wabbit

I maybe parting out my RC motor. I just pulled it out bc I had a bad valve tap and replaced it with the ST215 4th gen. So, I am looking to part out my RC motor (pick up only) in Pennsylvania.

gt4play

saved_1992":1fjoipst said:
have you tried any stop leak stuff? BG stop leak iv had really good luck with (usually a dealer item)

I've never gotten a warm n fuzzy about this stuff. It's an additive, right? I'm concerned what it might do to a radiator...

gt4play

Mafix":z4me2bk7 said:
i'd just find a stock replacement block. can't be that hard to do?

Well, true. But there's two things that concern me. (1) I have to know it's coming from somebody reputable that I can trust. I don't want to get a block from somebody only to find out after inspection that it's out of spec for a stock setup. (2) I kinda wanted to keep the numbers matching on this car.

Insanity-74

gt4play":3fa3z1ka said:
saved_1992":3fa3z1ka said:
have you tried any stop leak stuff? BG stop leak iv had really good luck with (usually a dealer item)

I've never gotten a warm n fuzzy about this stuff. It's an additive, right? I'm concerned what it might do to a radiator...

Last time I used that stuff it blocked the radiator and the turbo water feed killing both (Not on a Celica though)....its horrible stuff that should be avoided at all costs.

gt4play

celi_wabbit":34bwuhoo said:
I maybe parting out my RC motor. I just pulled it out bc I had a bad valve tap and replaced it with the ST215 4th gen. So, I am looking to part out my RC motor (pick up only) in Pennsylvania.
I appreciate the consideration. And although enticing, this will start getting into something I'm trying to avoid - high cost. I'm not sure what you're looking to get for the setup, but I'm quite positive it's well out of the range I was looking to spend (particularly when I'm content with keeping this car, for the most part, stock).

WarTowels

I could have sworn that one of the suppliers like KO or ATS had a new stock 3S block listed for sale in the ball park of $600 but now I can't find it anywhere...

-Towels

gt4play

WarTowels":avdh2cv2 said:
I could have sworn that one of the suppliers like KO or ATS had a new stock 3S block listed for sale in the ball park of $600 but now I can't find it anywhere...

-Towels

Now that's what I like to hear (well, if it exists). PLEASE let me know if you find it. :)

Mafix

gt4play":qy5r1rl4 said:
Mafix":qy5r1rl4 said:
i'd just find a stock replacement block. can't be that hard to do?
(2) I kinda wanted to keep the numbers matching on this car.
well about this part....you are screwed. you need a block. plain and simple. unless the plate is rivited on then it won't match. not that anyone will really care if you ever decide to sell. i know what you are getting at but at this point it isn't feasable.

saved_1992

why all the hate for the mechanic in the can :wink: , the BG product does not clogg it will actually flush out if one does a coolant flush. ive even went to the BG training school that was really exciting :shock:

i do have this in my celica, use it every time i change out the coolant. i also use BG other products too.

Part No. CT4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BG Universal Cooling System Sealer
BG Universal Cooling System Sealer is composed of refined organic fibers, rust and corrosion inhibitors, a buffering agent and anti-foaming ingredients. It stops head gasket seepage and seals small leaks in the radiator and heater cores. The rust and scale inhibitors help provide better heat transfer properties. It is compatible with all types of coolants and harmless to all metal or rubber parts.
Part No. 511
Part No. 5118 12 oz. (355 mL) bottle
8 oz. (237 mL) bottle

GO BG :lol:

WarTowels

I looked for about 40 minutes! Couldn't find it... KO's site says they lost some content recently, I don't know if this could have been part of that... I suppose it's worth an email/call.

-Towels

UtahSleeper

That sucks.

I know this sounds ghetto, but just thinking. Maybe drain the cooling, clean and rough up the crack and JB weld it? Just thinking if it's not a high pressure area it might hold it for awhile.

gt4play

alternate.eago":19qlfyq3 said:
I thought you had a spare 3s in your garage from when you did the yellow deuce...

Well, technically yes - but I'm attempting to keep that one intact to keep with the MR2. I also don't know if any additional damage beyond the spun bearing(s) occurred in that one. Guess I should look further into it.