3SGTE CAMRY UPDATES

Camry All Trac, Previa All Trac

Re: 3SGTE CAMRY UPDATES

Postby Trumanpriest » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:30 pm

Very nice man. Thanks for posting up all the pictures, you have a great project there.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Trumanpriest - 1990 ST185 | 2010 Tacoma 2.7 SR5 | 2009 Yaris
Trumanpriest
Club Member

Postby CAMRYGT4 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:22 am

Yea, so dyno day didn't work out as well as I had planed John wanted to work on it for three or four hours but the car before me took four times as long as it was supposed to so I only got three or four runs in and none of them were that good. One of the runs we got 272ftlbs torque but there are some nasty dips in the fuel map. So right now John is using the Camry as his daily driver while he learns the software a little better and hopefully gets stuff ironed out before the next dyno day. The good news is because I didn't get any time in I didn't have to pay!
CAMRYGT4
Club Member

1988 Toyota Camry

Postby CAMRYGT4 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:18 pm

Surprise! My car went on the dyno today and I didn't find out until now I had no idea it was going to get dynoed again so soon. This time it went better I hear, 240awhp 265 torque lost 12 hp but gained 20lb feet of torque. apparently the power curve is really smooth, better than it was on the stock computer. John said he should be able to get more out of it with time but for now he said it drives great and feels faster at all boost levels. Ill have to drive it and see.
CAMRYGT4
Club Member

1988 Toyota Camry

Postby CSAlltrac » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:58 pm

Awesome build, planning to go to Toyotafest '12
ALLTRAC AT FIRST SIGHT
CSAlltrac
Established Member

Postby CAMRYGT4 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:05 am

I would like to but its to early to tell
CAMRYGT4
Club Member

1988 Toyota Camry

Postby CamryAWD » Sat May 26, 2012 2:10 am

Anymore info on this car? I just picked up a 90 camry all-trac and plan to do something some what similar motor wise.
CamryAWD
Club Member

Postby CAMRYGT4 » Sat May 26, 2012 6:20 am

CamryAWD wrote:Anymore info on this car? I just picked up a 90 camry all-trac and plan to do something some what similar motor wise.

Since my last post we've put a lot more time into the tune and the car runs great. its pretty maxed out on the current turbo and fuel setup, I'm running about 22 psi on a ct20b. We stopped tuning it after the driveability issues were fixed and we discovered the car runs neck and neck with stage2 STIs, confirmed with a dyno 302 AWHP stage2 STIs, so Iv been happy with that. It's mostly just maintenance now, did speed source motor mounts a little wile back and all new wheel barrings and bushings, kind of boring. My attention has recently turned to my new daily driver witch is almost done so I'm about to come up with some new Ideas for the Alltrac.

Hears a pick of the DD I know its not an Alltrac so ill keep it short.
1995 Camry SE Coupe V6
Window tint 35%
Clear headlight lenses
Hids
Stereo
New windshield
KYB struts
H&R springs
Repair tear in drivers seat
Detail and buff out paint
poly sway bar bushings
Rims Tires
Strut tower brace
Upgrade speakers
New floor mats
Fog lights
Front lip
color match mirrors
mesh grill

CAMRYGT4
Club Member

1988 Toyota Camry

Postby CamryAWD » Sat May 26, 2012 5:44 pm

Since you've been there and done that, would you do anything different motor wise?
CamryAWD
Club Member

Postby CAMRYGT4 » Sat May 26, 2012 10:37 pm

CamryAWD wrote:Since you've been there and done that, would you do anything different motor wise?

Yes, well maybe, ST205 motor insted? Iv been really happy with my ST185 swap but the st205 has more power stock better intercooler better turbo and better engine management, its a better motor in stock form. parts are harder to get though. allso I would get a front clip or half car, not a " compleat swap" because those are always missing parts. I would have done the head gasket on my motor befor I put it in too. It really depends on what you are tring to do with the car, for instance im still using the stock camry alltrac 5speed trany but now Im at a power level were if I ever want to seriously track the car I would want the st205 or 185 trany, just because the camry has open diffs. so there is alot of stuf like that, wich i would be glad to discuss in greater detail.
CAMRYGT4
Club Member

1988 Toyota Camry

Postby spitfiremk16 » Sat May 26, 2012 10:58 pm

Both those cars are gorgeous, nice to see someone giving older camrys some love.
spitfiremk16
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby CamryAWD » Sun May 27, 2012 1:23 am

Is it even possible to get an ST205 clip at a decent price? I would rather do it right the first time than wish I had gone a different route when it's too late. Any helpful tips you can give me would be great! I've been poking around various forums, ebay, and craigslist just trying to get a feel for what prices are going for. Being that you know what you're looking for, do you have a general idea on an average st205 price range? I was hoping to get the swap done (what ever the swap might be, still researching) at $5k or less if possible. Parts and shipping. I'll do most of the work myself.

EDIT: Something like this? Though i'm not sure if RHD would swap the price seems fair.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-94-Celica-G ... 48&vxp=mtr
CamryAWD
Club Member

Postby CAMRYGT4 » Sun May 27, 2012 4:03 pm

CamryAWD wrote:Is it even possible to get an ST205 clip at a decent price? I would rather do it right the first time than wish I had gone a different route when it's too late. Any helpful tips you can give me would be great! I've been poking around various forums, ebay, and craigslist just trying to get a feel for what prices are going for. Being that you know what you're looking for, do you have a general idea on an average st205 price range? I was hoping to get the swap done (what ever the swap might be, still researching) at $5k or less if possible. Parts and shipping. I'll do most of the work myself.

EDIT: Something like this? Though i'm not sure if RHD would swap the price seems fair.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-94-Celica-G ... 48&vxp=mtr

thats a pretty good price for all that stuff RHD stuff is ok because you are going to use your stock throttle cable and what not, the only other thing that I know you will need is st186 front stub axles and v6 Camry front axles
CAMRYGT4
Club Member

1988 Toyota Camry

Postby CamryAWD » Mon May 28, 2012 12:16 am

Excellent! Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it. I'm out of town for a while longer so I haven't even seen my All-trac in person yet. Found it on Craigs for 900 with a blown motor and sent my wife over to check it out. Made the guy an offer of 700 and he took it. If you don't mind, I'll probably be needing to come online here and message you with some questions once I get started. Again, thanks for everything so far.
CamryAWD
Club Member

Postby phattyduck » Tue May 29, 2012 8:36 pm

Expect $1000-$2000 in extra parts, etc. when you do the swap aside from what you will get in the clip. Also, there will be some custom work (welding, etc.), especially with the ST205 setup (mounting extra parts, oil filter gets in the way, etc.).

If you get a clip for that cheap (I would think closer to $4k would be normal), then a $6k budget is about right, unless you go crazy. That is assuming you don't have to pay for any labor...

-Charlie
'89 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GTE - SV25/ST205 hybrid
'99 4Runner SR5 4WD 5VZ-FE
Previous: '88 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GE BEAMS, '90 Camry 3S-GTE, '90 Camry DX
phattyduck
Established Member

Postby CAMRYGT4 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:48 pm

Well it looks like the cylinder head is the first thing on my list that is going to get addressed. Camry started to run lean after a few high speed runs, at first I thought there was something wrong with the tune. After re flashing the computer and checking all the sensors I decided to do a compression check just for the hell of it, sure enough cyl #3 was 50 psi low. After a leak down test we came to the conclusion that the exhaust valve on that cylinder had warped.

Today I sent my spare head to Auburn Auto Machine for testing. Assuming the head is good it will get prepped for an MLS head gasket, set up for radius cut valve job for 1mm over sized valves, than it will get sent back to Outback were John will port ,polish and blend everything together. After that is done its back to Auburn Auto Machine for final decking and shimless buckets.

The new hardware will consist of GSC 274 cams, Supertech springs and valves, the intake side will be stainless and the exhaust side will be Inconel to prevent the same thing happening to this head. I will of coarse do the shimless bucket convention which is mandatory for the cams I will be using. When it is all said and done this head should be good to over 700 hp and that's far more than I will ever need. As the head work proceeds I will post pictures. After the new head is built I will need to 650cc injectors and a bigger turbo, we now have TIG welder at the shop and John wants to do a custom intake manifold and exhaust manifold, move the turbo and re do the intercooler plumbing, this should put me on the road to 450 to 500awhp. So big changes are in store of the blue car. Pictures soon to come!
CAMRYGT4
Club Member

1988 Toyota Camry

PreviousNext

Return to Other All Tracs