How much can the 3SGTE Block handle?

loft

Im tuning up my 3sgte (carlos sainz 1992) to 400-450bhp. But someone told me that the 3sgte block cant handle that.. Is this true? I find a lot of clips of other celicas driving as hell with 400++bhp and not blowing up.
Any ideas?

WarTowels

There is a serious lack of information here in order to answer.

Anything can be made to do anything with enough time and money. It's 100% possible.

Whether you can do it, who knows.

-Towels

monkey8oi

if built correctly, the 3s block has no problem handling 400-450hp.. just saw an mr2 on the boards that was just tuned at 457hp.. there are also a couple mr2's in my area around the 400hp range..

RoAdbOy

400-450hp is easily to get :) no problem if choose right parts and tuned correctly.
it has got exampels with much more hp's...

underscore

Yeah there are 3SGTE's running significantly more power than that. It all comes down to money though.

UtahSleeper

loft":2y1j7p2a said:
Im tuning up my 3sgte (carlos sainz 1992) to 400-450bhp. But someone told me that the 3sgte block cant handle that.. Is this true? I find a lot of clips of other celicas driving as hell with 400++bhp and not blowing up.
Any ideas?

What have you done to the motor/fuel/turbo that supports you trying to reach those numbers?

loft

Forged pistons (87mm) and rods, cometic headgasket, new fuelpump and injectors (not decided witch once yet) bigger turbo, intercooler, got a biig exaust already..new computer (apexi ex.) new clutch, weld the diff. Any good tips/ideas

tubasteve

loft":3efyz6am said:
Forged pistons (87mm) and rods, cometic headgasket, new fuelpump and injectors (not decided witch once yet) bigger turbo, intercooler, got a biig exaust already..new computer (apexi ex.) new clutch, weld the diff. Any good tips/ideas

People talk about over boring the block anything past 86.5 causes block cracking near 400whp and above. Just a thought.

celigts

What would I need to do to have the a stroker sound? Stroker kit lol. Stock internals... I'd have to get a different crank to change the way the pistons fire right to make up for the longer strokes? Or would new cams do that?

Personally only want around 3-350awhp

tubasteve

stroker sound? am i missing something?

mr2oc has some good posts about stroker and strength of what users have had.

toayoztan

Aside from tuning, proper modding, etc., one important issue to know up front is do not bore 40 over, only go out to 20 over. 40 over will lead to the walls between 2 and 3 too thin, and crack.

Bryan

celigts

I can Definitly see that happening since taking my head off. Didn't know how close 2 and 3 are compared the 1 and 4.

RoAdbOy

loft":3tes33h6 said:
So basicly I have fucked my self in the ass with 1mm bor/drill...
don't worry about the bore buddy...
it depends all how you upgrade your car...
i know so much 3sgte with the same bore as yours, tune it right, go save with a metal headgasket, alu rad, radiator fans, low temp. thermostat, fmic, high quality oil, high octane fuel or meth. etc to absorb the stress...

4rsnduction

RoAdbOy":tkqsayxc said:
high quality oil

Waste of money and potentially damaging if you have forged pistons.
Forged pistons have a much larger expansion ratio over stock as they go from dead cold to operating temp.
During this expansion time, to protect the piston and the cylinder walls a thicker oil is required, one without synthetic friction modifiers.
Castrol 15w40 is perfect or even 20w50 if you live in a hotter climate.
The frequency of the oil changes are key to the long-term life of the piston and cylinder.
People experience the phenomenon of "piston slap" which is exactly what i have just covered :D
FYI : I am using 87mm pistons, no worries at all

loft

Thanks guys! You made my day.. Really thought I had to get a new block here..
Jeah, we are going to use about 1year..Road and a circut training next year. So we want to do it properly. Have a couple of firms thats really good on tuning around here, so one of them are going to program it for us, "japanauto" ex. We are using 1 year because we want to do it right the first time..
Any good ideas about witch turbo I should buy? (maybe there is another thread about it here?)
The biggest question I have is is witch injectors and fuelpump I should buy. Do they fit in the org. fuel rail, should i drill it up (however you do that), buy a new fuelrail? etc? good ideas people?:)

REALLY appreciate all the answers :) Have a nice weekend!