Ideas for 165 hood vents

Hmm, interesting to see a RX-7 scoop effort when the turbo models (88 RX7 turbo II) came with
a hood scoop stock. Interested to see what the MR2 one looks like. Seems to be too small to have in the middle of the hood and too large to have a pair of them on the side

ZeroDrift

BoostedBlueToyotas":2jkdkgj1 said:
Hmm, interesting to see a RX-7 scoop effort when the turbo models (88 RX7 turbo II) came with
a hood scoop stock. Interested to see what the MR2 one looks like. Seems to be too small to have in the middle of the hood and too large to have a pair of them on the side

Thanks! My old Rx7 was swapped with the turbo components as the Sport chassis was lightest one available; however I was able to retain the light non-turbo aluminum hood (w/o the hood scoop). The whole project began as I had several spare steel hoods on hand to experiment with.

DSC01765.jpg

Enginebay.jpg

1001.jpg

Currently I am awaiting upon verification if this vent and placement is ideal as I don't have a spare hood available to experiment with. A second opinion is most welcome from people who have more experience than I in this department. The MR2 vent is a little odd to have in the center, while being too large to both sides. I think an offset vent is what I'm planning, or to cut the vent to make it more short and then place two of them on the car. Honestly I am also still considering other vent options out there as well.

ZeroDrift

After much searching and reviewing of aero information I have settled on a vent. Its stainless and I will rivet it underneath the hood so only the vents are exposed. Should add approximately 80+ square inches of ventilation and will be placed behind the headlights.

Reasoning for the place is several fold and will be tested both before and after the installation. Firstly I don't want to have the heat from the engine bay enter the cabin through the vents at the base of the windshield. Secondly, air should spill off the side of the car better when there is a side draft and placed further back will allow air to better travel from the front to the rear. Concerns about the headlights being up are put to rest as they will be down for the hottest parts of the day and this is primarily when heat is at its peak, so its a bit of a compromise but a practical one for both placement and overall efficiency.

HoodVent.jpg

ZeroDrift

bmt":3boxdq7g said:
Those look awesome. I hope that they look as good on the car!! :D

As do I! They seem to be much nicer compared to much of the typical automotive 'vents' which are stick on decorations. These are designed to be functional first and foremost. I'm a little worried about under hood clearances and am thinking of using play-dough or something to get an idea of how much room I have to work with. Ideas are most welcome for alternatives to check clearances!

nw94rs

IMG_0171-1.jpg

I found a hood vent at the junk yard off of an 80s dodge. I put it right behind the radiator & directly above the turbo. I still need to paint it trim black but I think it looks the part, a few people that have seen it, thought it came that way.

ZeroDrift

Progress on the hood vent project. Decided to hold off on the data gathering for the moment and will have more later on.

DSC_0679.jpg

DSC_0680.jpg

DSC_0683.jpg

DSC_0693.jpg

DSC_0694.jpg

DSC_0695.jpg

DSC_0696.jpg

DSC_0697.jpg

DSC_0698.jpg

DSC_0699.jpg

ZeroDrift

Thanks! They look a little large, but they are not permanently installed just yet and I may try to mount these below the hood instead of above. They most certainly allow heat to escape and once I get a chance this weekend I will have more data and some videos regarding aerodynamics.

ZeroDrift

UtahSleeper":2kd1hxkd said:
I will have to hit you up on purchase info when I get closer to trying it.

In the mean time, a few more options I saw.

Various metal vents. With thier sharper angles I think these could work for some people:
http://www.hoodlouvers.com/products.html

I was going to resort to those, but decided against em as I think the looks are just 'ok' and that they would be a pain to clean! Plus I thought they were very expensive for what they are!

warmachine

ive been thinking of the same thing, i really need some vents in my hood. been thinking also of an evo style front vent and reversed naca ducts towards the rear outside corners, like an old school version of the cs/wrc hood. i need to find a good square vent for the front tho, most are all curvy and modern.

UtahSleeper

One of the links I posted in the 1st or 2nd page may be kind of like that.

And yea, the ones on the site are a little more then I would pay probably.

bmt

I would definitely mount your vents underneath the hood. I just think it looks smoother/ cooler. It would be nice to bond them to the hood skin rather than use pop rivets but I dont have a clue as which "glue" you should use. Maybe 3M vhb tape? Anyone got any ideas? It's got to handle the heat.

ZeroDrift

Ordered some stainless countersunk rivets to use, so intrusion above the hood surface will be minimal. Now I just need to clean up all of the edges on the hood and add a bit of paint to prevent corrosion.