Driver kick panel.. mystery wires! + pictures of OEM alarm

Synchrite

Can anyone help me identify these wires? The red light on the driver's door isn't working, nor is the ignition light.. but I didn't see much indicating where this even plugged into, if anywhere. At least one of the wires just dead ended not far away!

Does this look familiar to anyone? :doh: I'm hoping it's the remnants of something that isn't even supposed to be in there, and not something chopped to shit and unplugged!

Edit: Here are some shots from when I installed the factory alarm the other day. May as well make the thread useful for something.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81361170@N ... 310466264/

Attachments

• 205345_10100432794363693_1483171667_n.jpg
    205345_10100432794363693_1483171667_n.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 2,748

AFCor

I have the same problem on my car with the interior lights not working when the door is opened. On mine it was the Door Curtousy Switch. It's the black, rubber-covered button when you open the door. It wasn't grounding right. I'm at work right now but when I get home I'll check if it's the same color as those wires.

Synchrite

I've replaced those switches recently, so it isn't that (plus the dome light and key chimes work). More than trying to fix the door light, I'm wondering if this actually does go somewhere so I can fix things that way :) I spent a while under there looking today and didn't see anyplace it could plug in.. guess I need to go through the wiring diagrams and try to match colors :twisted: ..

88gt4DE

That is for something aftermarket , alarm etc and the module was taken out. It's not OEM for sure. The wire colors and the ones that are cut short is what some people do when they dont use certain options of the alarm. Now one of those wires if it was an alarm is tied into the courtesy cicuit. trace that one back and see if its messing with the lights. You said you replaced the switches ... new or used switches ?

Synchrite

Excellent, thanks. I was noticing later that the plastic connector didn't look OEM, and the wires do look a bit different.. so that's good to hear. New switches! It's just the light on the door that doesn't come on, so maybe somebody cut it inside the door or something.

Appreciate the help!

phattyduck

The wiring to/from the door can fray/break on its own. If you can't find anything wrong under the dash, you'll want to dig into the harness where it goes into the door. (take off door panel, fish it out, inspect/repair as needed)

-Charlie

Synchrite

Wires in the door look okay, bulb is not burnt out. Courtesy switches (rubber buttons in the door jamb) are new and work. Everything else that should come on when you open the door does except the light in this picture.

Since this thread is getting more attention than it deserves now (got my answer! :) ), I might as well turn it into something more interesting to look at.

Here's a link to pictures I took while installing the factory Toyota security system (thanks Todd!).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81361170@N ... 310466264/

Attachments

• DriversDoorPanel.jpg
    DriversDoorPanel.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 2,688

88gt4DE

Ok , if you know bulb is good you either have no power or no ground ... have you tested for either yet ? all other lights on same thing work. I'm saying wire in door boot is broke or the wire is cut from the alarm install ... my two guesses ...

88gt4DE

Yeah he said those work on dash and passenger side , so door switches and ground side is prol good. I'm betting on the cut wire where alarm was cut in .... 8)

tubasteve

88gt4DE":2ghlm1cg said:
Yeah he said those work on dash and passenger side , so door switches and ground side is prol good. I'm betting on the cut wire where alarm was cut in .... 8)
....skipped that part, been sick for a week so I'm skim reading.

88gt4DE

tubasteve":r7239z9c said:
88gt4DE":r7239z9c said:
....skipped that part, been sick for a week so I'm skim reading.

LOL , I wasnt saying anything about ya missing what he said :D , I skim read too and I've done that too ... :) My bets on the alarm , what you think ???

Synchrite

Alarm is factory, so it plugs in between the harness connectors.. nothing cut, and it was this way before I installed it. My money is on some broken wire inside the door, like mentioned. Blarg :p

88gt4DE

Synchrite":1fiat4r8 said:
Alarm is factory, so it plugs in between the harness connectors.. nothing cut, and it was this way before I installed it. My money is on some broken wire inside the door, like mentioned. Blarg :p

Any idea what that plug was for then ? Look like an aftermarket alarm harness ... Broken wires in the door is very possible , I've had it 100 times at least on the camrys ...