My GT42R st185 project

sleeper

Just weld a stock 165 rear diff... you won`t brake it..

It`s not as hard to drive as you would think.. i`m running bouth a "welded" center and a welded rear on mine, and as long as you don`t go to hard when taking hard turns from a stand still, it`s no problem.. ( i use mine for 1\4 mile, normal driving to work, trackdays..)

( running stock 205 gearbox, and stock welded 165 rear diff ( a welded 165 rear will be stronger than a welded 185 or 205) and have not had any problems the last 3 years. ( car have gone 9.8-143. but should be able to get it down to 9.5-9.6 with a perfect launche.)

tjdouble07

sleeper":2xdf53ed said:
Just weld a stock 165 rear diff... you won`t brake it..

It`s not as hard to drive as you would think.. i`m running bouth a "welded" center and a welded rear on mine, and as long as you don`t go to hard when taking hard turns from a stand still, it`s no problem.. ( i use mine for 1\4 mile, normal driving to work, trackdays..)

( running stock 205 gearbox, and stock welded 165 rear diff ( a welded 165 rear will be stronger than a welded 185 or 205) and have not had any problems the last 3 years. ( car have gone 9.8-143. but should be able to get it down to 9.5-9.6 with a perfect launche.)

That's really good know. Will definitely try that. Thanks for the info. Now just need to source an st165 rear end...

tjdouble07

OK, just snapped some pics of the car:

DSCF2705.jpg

DSCF2686.jpg

DSCF2688.jpg

DSCF2692.jpg

DSCF2710.jpg

DSCF2711.jpg

DSCF2724.jpg

DSCF2719.jpg

DSCF2727.jpg

DSCF2735.jpg

DSCF2734.jpg

DSCF2737.jpg

DSCF2739.jpg

DSCF2693.jpg

DSCF2696.jpg

DSCF2698.jpg

DSCF2702.jpg

DSCF2703.jpg

DSCF2716.jpg

DSCF2718.jpg

IMAG0593.jpg

toayoztan

Sweet pics.

I noticed the badging, they are blacked (it seems).

I have been throwing around the idea of painting my spare badging a black/black chrome like deal (kind of what you see on the is300 sportdesign I have).

Did you just spray yours a black?

Bryan

CSAlltrac

Car looks amazing, awesome job. When you did your valve cover A/N fittings did you take out the baffeling plate? The piece that is held in by alan bolts.

GT4times2

Puffy":mael0fx6 said:
Love this car... oozes tuffness.
Wheres the alternator ?

Possibly using an MR2 alternator bracket set up.

Trevor, your car never ceases to amaze!! Great work!! I love the car.

toayoztan

^There's no resevoir in the engine bay that I see, so probably not.

I like the idea of the alternator below, but I like my power steering too!

Bryan

tjdouble07

toayoztan":1pxnwgah said:
Sweet pics.

I noticed the badging, they are blacked (it seems).

I have been throwing around the idea of painting my spare badging a black/black chrome like deal (kind of what you see on the is300 sportdesign I have).

Did you just spray yours a black?

Bryan

I spoke with a few of my Supra friends and they told me a specific black spray paint to buy. I forget but I'll try and remember to ask them what it was.

CSAlltrac":1pxnwgah said:
Car looks amazing, awesome job. When you did your valve cover A/N fittings did you take out the baffeling plate? The piece that is held in by alan bolts.

I took out the baffling, as the catch can is internally baffled and it drains back into the pan.

Puffy":1pxnwgah said:
Love this car... oozes tuffness.
Wheres the alternator ?

In the power steering pump's old location. Modified an MR2 Alternator mounting assembly to fit with the transfer case mounting bracket. We will see how hard it is to adjust the belt tension or pull it out, lol. If it ends up being to much of a pain I may end up putting it back.

tjdouble07

toayoztan":1xq8lhnw said:
^There's no resevoir in the engine bay that I see, so probably not.

I like the idea of the alternator below, but I like my power steering too!

Bryan

I may eventially go to an electric power steering pump in the future. Have a friend trying it on his Evo and if all goes well with his I may just have to jump on the bandwagon.

tjdouble07":1v5av8px said:
lumbercis":1v5av8px said:
What kind of diff were you using? Stock Torsen? What parts are breaking?

Have you considered going to a Cusco clutch style setup?

Yes, stock torsen. Here's the damage:

317913_10151817967585328_1540701773_n.jpg

285697_10151817972140328_53263498_n.jpg

Pretty much the same thing with all of them.

I have considered trying a Cusco, but for $1600+, I'll have to hold off for a while.
The Car Looks Great Trevor!
I have a set of Hard Anodized 6061 brackets if you want to put some wilwood 4 pistons on the rear

I guess I need to get off my ass & put in the e85 already

If you can find a TRD LSD you wont have anymore problems, much better than a welded diff on a street car.

On a side note: this is whats going to happen to a front lsd if its a torsen....the front diff is about the size of a fist