Project CMS

toayoztan

CMS-GT4":3oskm5iu said:
I am starting parts hoarding. Going to keep extra corner lesnes, map sensors etc... just for ease of replacement parts.

Welcome to the club :lol:

I've done that and still am, for harder to find parts, even at junk yards for simple clips.

Bryan

Hotrodhendrix

Alltracupdate3.jpg

You wont be able to get most of the deeper scratches out with plastic polish. Look in the How to section. I have a plastic restore thread in there. Need to start off with a high grit sand paper then work up to the polish and wax. :wink:

CMS-GT4

I have your how to bookmarked. Its likely not going to happen till next year though. They look pretty good as is now. Right now, I am just going to wrap a few things up just so I can sell my nissan. I won't be doing much more to the car the rest of the year. Just brakes, AC and small stuff. I am trying to keep my focus on my work rather the vehicle, which is in a pretty good place right now.

Hotrodhendrix

CMS-GT4":ua2o1g7c said:
I have your how to bookmarked. Its likely not going to happen till next year though. They look pretty good as is now. Right now, I am just going to wrap a few things up just so I can sell my nissan. I won't be doing much more to the car the rest of the year. Just brakes, AC and small stuff. I am trying to keep my focus on my work rather the vehicle, which is in a pretty good place right now.

Sounds like you have a plan! Whatcha replacing the 350 with? I did mine one piece at a time while I watched TV after work. Took awhile but eventually had all the trim pieces restored.
~James

CMS-GT4

350 is getting replaced with the 185. We cancelled plans to get another car. I am getting all the service done on her crv. Then once the brakes are done on the 185 I will get serious on selling the Z. We might get her another car in another year or two. As long as I keep working from home I see no point in another car for me. If my business takes off and we get the house paid for in the next couple years then I will consider something new. Not sure what would be on the market then.

CMS-GT4

He finally replied, and will not separate. I may buy it, but I will see what my other options are. I was not really wanting red.
The weather will cool down comes sunday, so I am going to mess with my lip then and likely get it all glued up. My brakes should be here next week as well, so that will be another big project I get started.

CMS-GT4

So he says the emblem is aluminum. I am sort of thinking it might be an easier solution for me to make an emblem instead of 3D printing. I could fill it with jeweler resin, and just put a backing on it to make it a little thicker.

CMS-GT4

So here is the lip progress so far. The past few days I have been working on it. I have the center fused together, and I am working on the caps now. The whole lip is not cut to the proper proportions and once the fusor is set on the pass side cap, I will go over and do the driver side. Then all I need to do is smooth out the exterior fusor and scuff up the paint of the lip before I can primer it. My brakes will be here this weekend, so I am trying to finish this part of the project before they get here.

The caps ground all the way down.
photo1wp.jpg

Things needed to do this. Folder clips. A few sizes about 6 of each. 2bolts and the threaded slide that goes over a hole.
photo2awk.jpg

Lip as is now. One side left to do, then I can sand it.
photo3lpx.jpg

I also finished up my studio and started burning screens. I will be printing shirts very soon. Here is a teaser of my first pull.
529ef460cd0e11e18cf91231380fd29b_7.jpg

Edit: Speak of the devil. As I hit submit, the mail man was knocking at the door. This will be next weeks project.
4848bccecd1511e1bef722000a1e8bb5_7.jpg

CMS-GT4

I now have the lip all scuffed up, and I have cleaned up much of the fusor. I need to go back and fill in any cracks or holes then smooth it all out. I'll be priming tonight.

The length I cut from the rear caps I will be using to add another tab so it can connect where the fender/bumper bolts go. I might zip tie this part since there will be a lot of tension on it. I may still use fusor.
photo1yzi.jpg

photo2ofk.jpg

Well, I have done the last of what I plan to do with the fusor. When I was using it this last time I ruptured the container thus exposing it to air. So I used half a container on this project. I hope I do not need more. I mixed what I could and slapped it onto the spots that needed patched. I will let it set a bit, then I will hand sand it smooth. Then on to primer.

CMS-GT4

I got most of it done tonight. I have some sanding to do in the morning then I will start priming and maybe even painting come tomorrow.

So vs the stock setup, I am saving weight.

Rotors are 10lb vs 16lbs
Calipers w/brackets are 8lb vs something in the 14lbs range.

That will save me quite a bit of weight off each wheel. I think getting some lighter wheels next year or so will give me some nice savings in the unsprung weight department.

This will be the 3rd BBK I had owned, but this will be the first one I actually get installed.

I need to weigh out if I am going to go ahead and do the AC this week on the car, or start the brakes. I will likely try and pull apart the rav4 spindles first, then go from there.
The wife is out of town for a week, so I am trying to be super productive. I also have to start printing this week.

toayoztan

Still going black with the lip? What sort of black are you thinking?

You'll also be reducing some rotational mass from the rotors, which will be nice.

I need to get a BBK, but that'll have to wait til I get the funds.

Let us know how much you want for the shirts.

What color, size, etc, are available?

Bryan

CMS-GT4

I'll keep you all posted on the shirts. Once I get this lip done today, I will get back into the studio. I am finishing the last of the rough spots now, then it gets primed and painted.

So here is a quick PS of using the metal sticker to make an emblem. I would still fill it with jeweler resin so it woud be a solid glossy badge. If I leave it red it could look like this. If I took more time, I could paint it black myself to try this other look.

img2124f.jpg

EDIT: The seller says the logo is 1.5" so that might be a good size for this project.

CMS-GT4

Some updates: I got the lip painted. I will likely have to do some touch up tomorrow. While it would dry between coats I worked on a few other things.

Here is my makeshift paint booth. I had two of these. The black is not as glossy as I expected. It was a black for plastics, so it sort of makes sense as its sheen. I will use it like this for now, but may go with a more shiny black later, or even body color.

I sanded the backs until they looked like they were part of the whole plastic.
photo1ulp.jpg

Make shift paint booths.
photo2iss.jpg

I printed out the image of the emblem. The seller says its about 1.5" so I think even in red it won't look bad. I guess sort of how the fiat logo is. I just need to fill it with resin and make a plastic backer for it to thicken it up.
Here is the size and color on the car.
photons.jpg

And today's big project. I am taking my wife's car away to the body shop tomorrow due to hail. I had to get this project done tonight. One of my rav4 spindles came from a junk yard. When I was there I did not have all my tools. I was not able to remove the axle nut so I yanked the whole axle thinking I could do it later. Well removing an axle nut from a toyota is no simple task when the spindle is not in the car. I wedged the cv joint in these boards under the car to keep it stabilized. I tried it with rebar between the studs but it just bent it. I then took a vice and brake rotor to lock it into place. The rebar was wedged between the vice and the ground. And it worked! I am pooped. I had done a lot of things around the house and to the car today. Tomorrow I mess with the lip some more, but then I got to get in the studio. If there is time I will start planning out the brakes or my headlight CF trim.
532376_10151129575963593_1536432667_n.jpg

CMS-GT4

So here is a preview of the lip. I still have more painting to do on it, and maybe a little wet sanding, but it should be wrapped up soon. I will then let it cure for 5 days before mounting it. Today I am also painting my rear calipers black so they match the new wilwoods. I may also have a buyer for my 205 calipers. I hope so anyhow, if I am going to replenish my funds for the front LSD.

Its not been properly mounted, but this is to give you an idea of the final product.

photo122x.jpg

photo315a.jpg

photo414t.jpg

photo53.jpg