Is the VIN Registry dead?

toayoztan

I believe the admin got rid of it due to requests (not sure if we are talking about the same thing, but I'm pretty sure we are!).

Bryan

lumbercis

We should have had a replacement in place and migrated any useful info before getting rid of it. At the very least a thread preserving the vins would have been nice.

pwadm

Administrator
Staff member
I still have the list, it was just taken off the main page. I will clean it and post on the forum. The main complain was that private information was accessible to everyone. Maybe I will make it available only to long standing members?

lumbercis

Two super easy resolutions:

1) Just post it in a sticky.

2) Add an optional VIN field to the Garage feature. One issue with this is how is the data preserved when the car changes owners? Could be difficult if you wanted to separate "car profile" from owner info, although it might be a kind of cool feature?

Of course, you could have a VIN field in the Garage, that ALSO populated an archive that didn't store personally identifying info but just relevant car info such as year, color, etc. Or that automatically posted to a particular forum thread.

J

88gt4DE

It would be kewl to keep track of the vins / vehicle numbers / However ya look at it. I used to love finding a new one and posting to have it added to the list ... Like now I found one on ebay thats not on the old list ... Although kewl too many people use info the wrong way and ruin it for everyone ...

lumbercis

VINs are not private information. Any bozo walking along the street can look into the front window and record a VIN. Besides, Alltracs are not valuable enough cars that someone is going to go through the effort of recording an alltrac vin from the internet, forging the title document, going to the dealership to get a duplicate key made, then travelling to the location of the car to drive off with it.. for what? $5000? :crazy:

All you need to do is separate the VIN info from the ownership information and it makes this scheme nearly impossible anyway. In short, no one is going to steal your car with just the VIN from the alltrac registry.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/vin.asp

J