St215 motor + st205 gearbox into St165 JDM build

bmt

Continuing
DSC01986.JPG
Front view of bumper ducting. The idea is that the large hole will take air straight to my airbox. The smaller hole will take air to flow over the trans cooler but what doesnt go through the cooler will be available to the airbox.
DSC01979.JPG
See that triangular hole next to the cooler? It goes into the airbox. With the inner guard in place the air will have access to the airbox.
DSC01970.JPG
Looking into the airbox from above. At the bottom of the picture you can see the triangular hole and to the left is a larger hole that I cut into the inner guard to allow more access for the spilled air. Oh and where does the air that has gone through the cooler go?

bmt

Glad you asked!
DSC01988.JPG
Out through here. The sharper eyed of you will recognize that louvre as a St185 bonnet louvre. I had bought them earlier for my bonnet but decided against using them but they were perfect for this job. The air should have a path out through here and the spinning wheel should help generate a venturi affect to help pull it through as well.

On the other side I have ducting for the oil cooler.
DSC01971.JPG
I dont have the flex yet so its not in place and I haven't plumbed the lines yet but you get the idea. I hope!

DSC01976.JPG
Same deal as the other side. It also has a louvre on the inner guard. See next post.

bmt

DSC01978.JPG
You can see the cooler through the louvres.

What the front looks like now.
DSC01990.JPG

On the ground.

Attachments

• DSC01991.JPG
    DSC01991.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 4,260

GMan

bmt":ia2vpgbg said:

Anyone know what this is/does? It was bolted to the bonnet catch stay.

I was going to Guess a temp sensor for the automatic AC.
(At least look like it, not sure if it was only a US market part ?) :)
Aftermarket alarm mercury switch ???

Awsome Build ! :notworthy:

Where are you ? Helps to put at Least a country (w State or town? ) in your sig. :shrug:
It IS a World W I D E forum after all...

(http://www.importperformanceparts.net/)
Flatlander Racing
24 Elm Street
Plaistow, NH

You live around NH ? Hope to see the project sometime.
Rare to see Any 4th gen Celicas getting any love. 8)

Regards;
--------------
Boston, MA USA
6gc & ST185 owner...

bmt

Cheers for that. Sorry I live in New Zealand, but you are still welcome to come and have a look! :wink:

bmt

Could you see the pictures ok? Nobody else could :shrug:

I am aiming for 300 plus at this stage. I would like to go above 350 but wont know until I finally get it going! I will try and get some more photos up soon. Just doing my exhaust at the moment, 3" stainless up to the down pipe, then a ceramic coated steel down pipe up to the turbo.

Thanks for your interest!

UtahSleeper

Damn!! The air box and catch gan look great!!! And I may have to look into the radiator option since I would like more room between the trub and radiator. Great job.

celigts

Man that intake box is magnificent!! I too was thinking of making all the stuff your done for my build. Started mine mainly cuz I got it free from an old job.

Amazing motor rebuild and project in general! Kudos

bmt

Thanks for the comments guys :D Appreciate it. You've inspired me to get my ass into gear and get some more photos up! Check back soon!

Cheers

ZeroDrift

bmt":4lqtdk9d said:
Thanks for the comments guys :D Appreciate it. You've inspired me to get my ass into gear and get some more photos up! Check back soon!

Cheers

Looking forward to see more pictures!

bmt

Took some pics today

DSC02022.JPG

Unfortunately it seems like the hot glue is not doing the job :doh: so I will have to readdress that problem!

DSC02028.JPG

DSC02029.JPG

The blowoff valve is adjustable from full recirculating to full atmosphere. I directed the recirculate back towards the turbo as a kind of cheap anti lag! I hope anyway. :twisted: The little container next to the Radiator cap is my custom overflow bottle.

bmt

Onwards,

DSC02025.JPG

DSC02027.JPG

DSC02031.JPG

So it's a 3" downpipe with a separated waste gate pipe that is 41mm, (1 5/8"). There is a divider in side so the exhaust is totally sealed from the waste gate side. I will probably send it out this week to get it ceramic coated.

More soon!

bmt

More,

DSC02043.JPG

DSC02044.JPG
The divider pokes into the exhaust side of the turbo to separate the exhaust gases from the waste gate gases.
DSC02039.JPG
3" stainless all the way including the flex.

bmt

DSC02041.JPG

DSC02042.JPG
I welded a little skid plate on to the cross member to protect my flex from scrape damage. They're
expensive!!
DSC02034.JPG
This is what I build for a living. They are called a Fraser. They are a series 3 Lotus 7 replica. We build everything inhouse. It is my job to skin the cars in alloy.

bmt

Bit more on my part on the Frasers. I know off topic but I thought you guys might be interested and yes we do export!!

DSC02035.JPG
Everything is done by hand.

DSC02038.JPG

This is the most labour intensive part of the car as all the curved parts have the alloy wrapped over the chassis tubes. LOTS of shrinking by hand with a hammer. My workmates hate me when it comes to this part of the skinning, bang bang bang for most of a day!

ZeroDrift

Exhaust and downpipe look great! Also great work on the Lotus Rep. I've had a ride in a Super 7 with a rotary engine in there and it was a fun little car.

DSCN2044.jpg
The Miata was the Mrs' old car and we were out auto crossing.

Honestly I'd be interested in getting a downpipe and mid pipe from you if you ever decide to make a spare setup! Assuming it'd fit the stock turbo...

GT4times2

It's coming along quite nicely! Loving the work on the car. Glad to see ST165s under the knife.

ZeroDrift":8tio6m4f said:
Honestly I'd be interested in getting a downpipe and mid pipe from you if you ever decide to make a spare setup! Assuming it'd fit the stock turbo...[/b]

Get it done locally. It's cheaper than having pipes shipped from NZ. Just saying... :|

bmt

GT4times2":7sgf49iw said:
It's coming along quite nicely! Loving the work on the car. Glad to see ST165s under the knife.

ZeroDrift":7sgf49iw said:
Honestly I'd be interested in getting a downpipe and mid pipe from you if you ever decide to make a spare setup! Assuming it'd fit the stock turbo...[/b]

Get it done locally. It's cheaper than having pipes shipped from NZ. Just saying... :|

Thanks guys. ^^^^Totally agree!! Support your local industry! Otherwise when you want it, it wont be there and wherever you have been going
can hold you to ransom.

Fitted a Whiteline sway bar tonight. Part number BTR29Z. Rear sway bar for a St185/St205, fits perfect if your St165 doesn't have the ABS bulge.