Wheel bearings replaced...still slight play?

toayoztan

So about a few months ago, I changed all four wheel bearings. As you know, my car is completely gutted, no drivetrain/power train, so the car weighs nothing.

After replacing the wheel bearings, I put the suspension back together, threw the wheels on, and let the car sit on all four wheels (never rolled), WITHOUT axles in place.

Today, I change my wheels out for newer ones I bought a while back, and I noticed all the wheels had very slight play at 12 and 6 position...very very very slight, but it's there. No play at all in the 3 to 9 position that I could tell. The wheel/bearing rotates smoothly of course, no noise I hear and no hesitation/friction I can feel that would make me suspicious.

I've never noticed this before, but I have never tested any play before with wheels on, just only grabbing the hub itself without wheels or rotors.

Am I missing something here? Do the axles in place secure the whole assembly better, then I should test it?

Or did having no axles in the wheel bearings caused some kind of pressure and premature wear on the bearings?

I doubt my wheel bearings are bad, and like i said, i noticed no play immediately after installing the bearings and hub right after I pressed them in.

I'm thinking the weight of the wheels themselves is causing the very very minimal play i'm experiencing. I've replaced wheel bearings before without issues.

I'm guessing I shouldn't worry about it, and recheck once the axles and all are in place, but I'm just getting a little anxious about this..

Thanks!

Bryan

Think the BGB states that you should have the axles in place with a load on the suspension. I remember going out of the way to have mine in when my car was gutted. I can remember tying up the halfshafts so the end going into the tranny was out of the way in the engine bay when I rebuilt my car. I think that there is an SST to use as a replacement for the axles if I remember right.

alltracman78

He probably did.
Even setting the knuckles down without having an axle inside usually warps them.

This is why I have spare axles that are cut off at the joint, so I can stick them in the knuckle to support the bearing.

toayoztan

Would the hubs and/or knuckles be ruined too?

I've never had issues before and with other cars about not having axles in place. I put new wheel bearings on the alltrac, and just dropped it down, maybe rolled it a few feet back and forth.

Bryan

phattyduck

Its debatable whether you caused damage (I'm not sure one way or the other).... but I will guarantee that you need to put an axle in there to preload the bearing before you check if it is tight.

-Charlie

toayoztan

Yeah, last week, I torqued down my axles in there, however I didn't jack up the car when doing this (didn't cross my mind until now, I was in a rush :doh:).

So now, if the wheel bearings really were actually damaged, they may now be damaged more. However, more than likely, it really just suggest that the axles and wheel bearing is not clamped down properly since there was load on the wheel bearing by the weight of the car with the wheel on and on the ground.

I'll probably go back, remove the wheels, then loosen up the axles, retorque the axles, then put the wheel back on, and call it. I'll check any play after retorquing the axles.

Bryan

phattyduck

I've always torqued axle nuts on the ground. It'll be similar to wheel nuts - snug as tight as you can off the ground, then torque once you are on the ground. The tire will give you all the play you need. Without a helper, its about the only way to do it without risking damage to your wheel studs, etc.

Remember that the axle nuts/wheel bearings/etc. have much more force on them when you are driving...

-Charlie

aus jd 2703

You possibly could have light brinelling damage but given the car didn't move and the problem your describing isn't bearing damage.

Correct procedure is wheels off the car and foot on brake while torquing this should give the truest reading. All the axle does is pre load the bearing. So not having the axles in for a small time with no movement shouldn't damage anything.

toayoztan

When you say no movement, do you mean NO movement? Because I did roll it back and forth about 5-10 feet a few times, but that's it.

Bryan

esracing

My 2 centsToyota master tech here.yes you should of put axles in.i think your bearing will be fine .put the axles in now .what i do when axles are out i put a large bolt and washes and nut to hold it together so that way you can roll the car around and it won't come apart.

aus jd 2703

Any one who has had to remove the stub axle from the bearings would know they arnt gOing any where your fine move on ur problem is else where