ST165 Fans

GT4_Vinnie

Hey guys,

On my 88 165, I've removed the factory cooling fan, and put 2 electric 10" on instead. Did this when setting up the FMIC. As you can see in the pic of the location of both of them.

image0342t.jpg

I'm intending to run one through the main fan switch that attached to the stock one, and run one through a separate system, controlled by a switch install inside the vehicle, mainly to have it running when idling or not moving, yet able to switch it off when moving at speeds.

Just wondering if anyone has any criticism towards this type of setup, and also if no negatives etc, which fan would be best to run at low speeds and which through stock fan switch. The left one is almost directly inline with Turbo, Downpipe, and Intercooler piping to throttle body, plus more the engine is in line with it, however the right fan has the straight intake piping, the intercooler piping from turbo and just more the gearbox in its direct line. I want to run both to have most efficiency and less likely somethings going to over heat. Also going to be a trans cooler I'm using for the PS located in front of the fans, attached to front radiator support and bonnet support.

I will be heat wrapping the DP and all IC piping this weekend when I hope to have the engine running.

Any suggestions or criticism is much appreciated.

Thanks
Vinnie

GT4_Vinnie

Hey,

Cheers =), yeah hoping its not gonna be too low though. Yeah clocked the turbo fits sweet as, ran all the piping, only fitment issue is the pipes hit the alternator plug, so just oxy-acetylene'd the pipe and bent it slightly.

Ill start up a My Project thread once ive got it running to show all my progress =).

What are ya meaning with the FWD setup?

Cheers
Vinnie

phattyduck

When I added a fan control switch for the interior on my car, I 'added' to the stock system. In this case, I used a switch to interrupt the same wire that goes through the water temp switch (bottom of radiator or thermostat inlet) and the A/C high pressure switch.

When the switch is in the 'on' position, it interrupts the wire (open circuit) and causes both fans to turn on high. With the switch in the 'off' position (circuit closed), the stock temp/pressure switches control things as normal.

I would use the fans in line at the drag strip and for the last 30 seconds of driving or so, and let the stock fan control do its thing otherwise.

-Charlie

801Alltrac

on the FWD intake is a side fed instead of a center fed on the alltrax looks cleaner, i want to say its probly better then the center fed, power wise look it up in the gallery :evil:

gearhead313

Should be fine.. what rad is in it? I run pushers like that on my car with no probs, but i run a 2 pass brass rad. single row aluminum wasnt enough.

GT4_Vinnie

Cheers guys,

At the mo its just the stock radiator in it, but I'm thinking the two pushers should be enough, well hoping anyway as there's no room to fit pullers, because of IC piping.

I'm gonna be running the Left fan through the Thermostat Wiring, and the right one through the separate switch, as I think that will get most heat issues fixed, guess trial and error will give me best results.

Thanks
Vinnie