1988 Alltrac - Fiona - Running and doing just fine

3sgtealltrac

oh and the turbo is an ebay turbo thought id throw it in to try to sell it better. never been bolted on anything (so i was told). everything aftermarket or missing was the previous owner to me. i replaced the head gasket and thats the only thing i did. all those bolts were already missing. im glad to see it gettin work.

UtahSleeper

Kind of figured iit was an ebay special lol. I wont use it on the trac, but with the life of my corolla engine being limited, I think that would be the best testing place for it before I build a new motor.

UtahSleeper

Good info for later. I have already JB welded it. Mostly just want to try and get the car running to see where the motor and trans stand. This radiator seems to have been beat to shit :/ So probably just replace it later.

Thanks for the link.

UtahSleeper

Have the radiator in with no apparent leaks so far. Now to do the following:

Get a distribution block for connecting everything to a battery.
New negative battery cable.
New belt or 3sfe alt tensioner.

Unfortunately this will take a couple weeks as I have other shit to focus on in the immediate future.

Dracov

Looking through this the only thought in my mind is "I really need to get in gear and work on mine some more!" :)

UtahSleeper

Well, finally connected the ECU and a battery. Havent tried to start it yet as I want to syphon the fuel out and add fresh, plus I would like to get the alt actually connected. What I learned is the fan comes on immediately, so I assume that means my temp sensor is dead.

What do most people do for thier alt when the remove the AC?

So, my plans are to add fresh fuel, get the oil circulated, and try to start her this weekend.

Hope to have up to date pics tonight.

And still cant find some 6th gen rims local :/

phattyduck

UtahSleeper":3ibyc5xh said:
Well, finally connected the ECU and a battery. Havent tried to start it yet as I want to syphon the fuel out and add fresh, plus I would like to get the alt actually connected. What I learned is the fan comes on immediately, so I assume that means my temp sensor is dead.

What do most people do for thier alt when the remove the AC?

So, my plans are to add fresh fuel, get the oil circulated, and try to start her this weekend.

Hope to have up to date pics tonight.

And still cant find some 6th gen rims local :/
Did you remove the A/C condenser and the reciever/drier (and associated pressure switches)? If so, that's what's making your fan turn on. You will need to short the connection at both of the A/C pressure switches you unplugged, then the fans should work correctly.

You can get the correct belt for alternator by getting an accessory belt for a non-AC '87-'89 Celica GTS. You then run the tensioner 'backwards' and it will work just fine. You can get a grooved tensioner idler pulley if you want, but you don't have to.

-Charlie

UtahSleeper

Thanks for the belt info. Have to get that soon.

And on the AC, I have no clue. One of the previous owners seems to have removed everything that goes under the hood for it. Guess I willl have to look into shorting it or figuring it out.

UtahSleeper

Well, status update. She runs with crap gas in the tank. Not starting her again till I remove the old gas and use fresh stuff, plus use new oil on her. The oil in her seems fresh, but after the scare with the fram filter, I want to just make sure all the simple shit is good.

What I know so far:
Motor seem a bit noisey, but not rod knock. May be valve chatter or something else.
Need to replace a small piece of PS hose at the reservoir.
Need to reconnect the to support rods for the intake on the back of the motor.
Need to replace a weird T adapter on one of the heater core hoses.
Still need to replace passenger side front wheel bearing.
I still have overly blingy rims on her and that sucks lol.

How the engine currently sits.
029.JPG

As she sits, waiting to be rode hard....
030.JPG

Old hood that I am going to try and use for making a good vent out of FG.
031.JPG

Uncut hood
032.JPG

How the interior stands. Still need to figure out how I am going to handle audio and the mediocre carpet.
033.JPG

801Alltrac

its coming together and lookin good like the orange and white
took my car over to my mechanic i have no clue on my car is throwing
code 25, 26 will let you know keep up the great work

UtahSleeper

Thanks for the comments and hope you get your car situated 801.

And the orange is there just cause those items looked beat lol.

The plane later will be a little darker orange, black and a metallic gray in the engine bay. The exterior will DSM with a black top and burnt metallic orange for the rest of the body. Just cant bring myself to do too much body work until Milla(Corolla) has her body done.

801Alltrac

UtahSleeper":1zn7r4nm said:
Thanks for the comments and hope you get your car situated 801.

And the orange is there just cause those items looked beat lol.

The plane later will be a little darker orange, black and a metallic gray in the engine bay. The exterior will DSM with a black top and burnt metallic orange for the rest of the body. Just cant bring myself to do too much body work until Milla(Corolla) has her body done.

Lol that's how mine is black on top gray / strip also black

UtahSleeper

Well, small update.

I can start her consistently. Motor is still noisey and I started it yesterday and it had no oil pressure after sitting for a week, after an oil change. Added oil to the filter and where the filter mounts. Seems to have fixed the issue, but will check it today.

She has an oil leak and seems substantial. I see some liquid on the bottom of the cat mount, but a shit load on the ground under the N/S crossmember. May try an additive to taper that off. The more I dig into this engine, the more it seems like the motor will need to be replaced. My guess is the original rebuild that was done was done poorly.

Also one other issue, it does not go through normal warm up. It starts quickly and sits at 1k then will lower down to almost 500. And when trying to rev the motor, some times it will stumble. So, lots of little shit to try and troubleshoot.

Redrkt01

The motor probably doesn't need to be replaced. The fact that it starts and runs consistantlytells you everything you need to know about it to this point.

My advice is to tear it down and give it all new gaskets. While you're at it do a valve adjustment and that should clean up the noise. And check/replace the vacuum lines. After that you'll have a motor that doesn't least, most likely isn't noisey, and most likely won't stumble. If you've checked/replaced the vacuum lines and it still stumbles then I'd assume a fuel flow problem (but I'm betting on vacuum).

UtahSleeper

I have considered that, just I dont want to spend too much money on the trac at this point until I have a few other things in order. My biggest concern right now though is the questionable oil pressure and the noise I think I heard from the lower end of the motor. Also I am majorly concerned with the fact it appears to start with no oil pressure for atleast the first second or 2 where I hear what seems to be knocking, but it then goes away when I see a little oil pressure on the gauge.

Right now my goal is to secure the intake supports (forgot to bolt them in all the way) and see if I can locate the leak. The car didnt leak while it was running or immediately after, but an hour or so after it had been off it had a nice amount of oil under the car, potentially where you would see a leak from a rear main :/