ST185 conversion to ST205

Overtriped

Just bought my ST185 last week! Motor is fully rebuilt buuut it's junk... Butchers!
I have an engine/ECU/tranny from a 205 in mind and I need to know anything that I'll run into when swapping these ( what's different? Does everything just plug in with no splicing?) please let me know what you have done!!! Going front mount inter cooler instead of WTA so no need to talk about that! Thanks! :smokes:

Overtriped

I got a hold of Dr.Tweak, gonna have those guys mate my st185 wiring harness with the 3rd gen engine, decided to utilize the WTA inter cooler, thinking of also using the front mount, which is already mounted in the car. Also thinking about having Tweak integrate a GReddy EMannage ultimate into the wiring. They say that dudes know are using methnol injection with a SAFC and making around 350hp to the wheels. Should be able to squeeze more power outa it safely with the injector kit and EMannage, better softwear than a SAFC. Any input on the dual inter coolers? Any suggestions for a high flowing quiet muffler ??? :shrug:
400901_276676605776989_1066688161_n.jpg

Overtriped

Oh yeah, my exaust is already 3 inch so I'm
Looking for the inlet of the muffler to
Be that siZe, wouldn't mind a twin tip and BTW I've read the full
17 page st205 swap page so I want Moore info !!

tw2

I can't answer your specific st205 questions but some general advice....

Be careful with your donor engine, you can easily buy and swap in a stuffed engine and if you take 6-12 months to get it all sorted and finally running no one will care about the warranty they gave you. If you rebuild the one you have properly then you will know 100% you have an excellent running engine. Of course if you are willing to strip down and inspect the st205 engine then no problems.

I would recommend forgetting about emanage and safc. Either run the stock ecu or get a full plug and play standalone, aem, wolf, even a power fc.

Why do you want dual intercoolers? A nicely sized front mount will serve you well otherwise the st205 water to air one is fine for moderate power levels.

darthripley

if that is your car in the pic, the vents on the hood look like they are on backwards.

sounds like you have a lot of learning & a whole lot more reading to do.
read the 3sgte power primer to start with - google for it.

Overtriped

I'm taking a risk with the 205 engine... The one that's in it now is pretty Ill. The previous owner tore it down and inspected it with no luck of finding a problem ( besides the worn journal bearings from the crank- think it needs a new crankshaft) I just moved it in to a new home where the transplant will be done. I want to ulitize the WTA inter cooler so I don't have the error 54 issue. I also want to use the front mount which is WELDED in. Bit of a delema. Oh and yes I have read the whole 17 pages of the swap thread and have it saved. I also has my buddy who's helping me with the swap read it intirely. Also read all Of Satan's thread and spent countless hours on this website. All feedback is greatly apreciated. Drove the car 20 miles today. Runs pretty weak. When she gets Warmed up it stalls when u Downshift. Has no power after 4k rpm:( also there is a nice clunk in the rear end when u blip the gas ( couple clunks ) haven't gotten a chance to turn any wrenches on her yet. Starting this week.:) here is a pick I took while letting it cool down after the stall in the center of the largest intersection in my town lmao! http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/photo...48896&relevant_count=1&__user=100003039548896

CMS-GT4

If you read the whole thread, you would know that using either intercooler will require you to do the code 54 fix, that is unless you have the entire wiring loom that goes even to the special plug at the pump. So being you will have to still do the fix anyhow, just use what ever IC better fits your power goals. For my goals the only advantage a fmic would serve is to make it easier to change plugs.

darthripley

the clunk in the rear is the diff mount cushion being shot to hell, common problem.
get a solid aluminum diff mount from mario or fill yours with new poly.

tw2

Use the front mount intercooler, ignore the water to air one and do the fix to get rid of the code. The FMIC will probably support much more power, might have bigger inlets (just guessing), be more efficient and is already part of the car. It also has no moving parts, electrical problems or plumbing to leak ie intercooler pump.

Overtriped

I had a short talk with Tweak'd performance about mating my wiring harness. They are going to take care of the wiring. They stressed error 54 and suggested using the WTA intercooler. They will give me the plugs i need. Just rescued my wheels and CF CS hood, gotta get the garage cleaned out that I'm renting and move my tools in. Think its Worth it to get a 205 rear dif? I dunno how rugged the one in my 90' is. I know the cars been beat. I really want larger brakes as well I've seen a couple different set ups around on the site . I don't want to have to rebuild 205 caliper so was thinking of an alternative caliper that is available at napa ( the ones on my truck are about the same 4 pots and I can get them for about $150 a peice.) Just have to figure what rotors to get cuz those calipers will cook stock ones. This hood should take
Some weight off!
324643_278786892232627_905846404_o.jpg
sorry if the image is huge... Doing all this from my iPhone

tw2

Using an intercooler based on the fact that they cannot figure a (simple) work around is embarrassing. Are you sure you want these guys wiring up your car? Or maybe because they can charge more time to hook it up?

WarTowels

Where in NH are you? I think I know some people in Dover who know you...

I was living in Dover, but Im back in Maine now. I do work out of Portsmouth though. It's been a couple years since I've seen a running All-trac...

-Towels

Overtriped

Bought this car a couple months back from NH. I'm up In Windham Maine. The tweak'd guys have done this swap before And will wire it correctly, I havent decide weather to put resisters where the inter cooler pump plug is and delete the plug, or keep it. U should see my parts supplier's 2jze aristo the thing is CLEAN. They also built a twin turbo supercharged solara , they also have a nice widebody mr2 waiting for its transplant 3SGZE ( gt500 2.2l supercharger) good stuff. Would consider supercharging the st185 someday. My 205 Engine/tranny/ECU should hopefully be shipped Friday.:)
Anyone have a Drivers seat? Or know where i can find one?

CMS-GT4

Why bother putting a SC on the 185? For the money spent you could just buy a quality ball bearing turbo.

Nitro_Alltrac

If you're sending the harness out to have it converted, Tweak is the guy you want. He's done this countless times and does good work.

Overtriped

Boosts off the line a lot quicker, I prob won't since I'll have two ct26 turbos on hand. I saw an artical with a time attack 700hp st205 that was supercharged. You may be suprised what you can pick up a BIG SC for though.

CMS-GT4

That twin charged 205 is a masterpiece of engineering, not something most could do off the shelf. Its even riding on a $50k gearbox.

tw2

Superchargers are a lot more difficult to set up than turbo's. At the end of the day it is infinitely easier and thousands cheaper to simply buy an oem supercharged car. The st185 does not have enough clearance around the pulleys to have a custom crank pulley and supercharger belt setup. If you wanted to run a proper supercharger you would also need a new hood. In my opinion unless it is a twin screw it isn't worth doing and even then you will make less power than a turbo.