mr2 coilovers on st185

Hotrodhendrix

I have a friend that wants to sell me don form coilovers from his mr2 for super cheap. The question is can these be made to fit? I understand I would need new springs.

Currently I'm running mr2 rear inserts in altered rear strut.

James

fussellbug

Are you talking about complete coilover dampers like Tein, Megan Racing or BC, or are you talking about adjustable spring perches like Ground Control?

Either way, because of the mid mounted engine, the MR2 spring rates would be backwards (higher in rear) than in the Celica (higher in front). So you're correct that you would need new springs even if the coilovers physically fit.

Hotrodhendrix

Complete tein coilover kit with hks mounts.. price is cheaper than cheap. He really just want to get rid of them. I could get new springs and still only pay a small fraction of what it would cost new. Anyone know if the would physically fit and mount?

fussellbug

The below specs are for Megan Racing coilovers but are sufficient to show the differences between MR2 and Celica. In addition to strut length, spring rate, and valving differences, the brackets for brake hoses and rear end links would not be the same.

APPLICATION:
Toyota MR2 1990-1995
SPRING RATES:
F: 62mm ID; 150mm length; 5 kg/mm
R: 62mm ID; 180mm length; 8 kg/mm
DAMPER SPECS:
F: 110mm stroke; 260mm length; M1 valving code
R: 130mm stroke; 320mm length; M1+ valving code

Toyota Celica 1989-1993 All-Trac AWD
SPRING RATES:
F: 62mm ID; 180mm length; 8 kg/mm
R: 62mm ID; 200mm length; 4 kg/mm
DAMPER SPECS:
F: 120mm stroke; 260mm length; M2 valving code
R: 130mm stroke; 280mm length; M11 valving code

Hotrodhendrix

Tein shows to use the same spring rates between the two but just swapped front to rear. Ride height is different yet they are adjustable. Brackets on the rear are different. All top mounts are different.

I think I will just sale them and not worry about all the alterations needed to make them work.

~James

underscore

If you got them for a good price you could likely sell them, add in what you would have paid to modify these and pick up some coilovers made for your car for not much more.

Hotrodhendrix

underscore":1h570hb4 said:
If you got them for a good price you could likely sell them, add in what you would have paid to modify these and pick up some coilovers made for your car for not much more.

True. I think I will just stick with the whiteline lowering spring setup im on now. Use the money for brakes or somehting.

~James