Satan's Done for now(Updated 6/13/13)

Hotrodhendrix

Update:
Exhaust done
My setup: 3" downpipe back, 24'magnaflow bullet muffler (perforated glasspack looking), High flow cat, Magnaflow straight through perforated offset muffler 14', mandrel bends, flex piece, all soft mounts and basic 3' chrome tip to look stock like. I would not say quiet but deep melow.. For 3' it is quiet with no droneing on the highway. Flow should be great. Total cost 475 from local shop.

He did great work. Welds look almost machine. Only took 3 days to order parts and install. Very happy with the outcome.

Installed the 6th gen shifter but im having alot of issues. Its VERY notchy after instal. I think it may still be touching the bottom. Used nuts for shims on the very base and 3 washers under the second base.. Shifts are considerably shorter but the shifter feels to lean more to the right. More playing will be required on this

One of the few pieces I had yet to mess with was the front sway bar.. And I find one of the previous owners messed up the mount. Tried using a self tapping screw to hold it in. This will need to be taken care of. Suspension has tons of noise still and no idea what could be causing it.

!James

darthripley

Did you replace any of the old bushings?

a lot of groaning from the rear can be the rear sway bar bushes (or not enough grease on them if poly)
could be ball joints too. really depends on the noises & feeling from the car to attempt to diagnose the probs.

Hotrodhendrix

Its more of a banging like something is free to move at slower speeds. Rear sway bar is whiteline with their bushings and ball joints are new. The rest of the bushings are stock though. Most of which are in need of replacing but this is a bigger issue.

Im thinking the inserts are moving around withint the strut...

Hotrodhendrix

Update:

Figured out the suspension issue. Turns out when I had a shop put the inserts in the housings of the struts they did not fit perfectly. This time I purchased the tool to open the struts and do it myself. A few washers later and it should all be fine. While doing this the passenger side axle outer decided to slide off the axle shaft. I had to remove the boot to fix but I can not manage to get the new clamps to work. Should have that finished up and all back together tonight.

I will update with pics soon. I really want to toss the car on a lift to get pics of the exhaust.

Also sourced a set of stock STI rotors from a buddy. 20 dolla makes me holla. :D

Hotrodhendrix

Update:

So i had been really busy getting ready for the 3000gt meet down in Austin a few weeks ago. It was nerve racking as the celica had never gone that far. Here are some things leading up to it

Mario solid rear dif mount
IMAG1247.jpg

Passed inspection
IMAG1171.jpg

Ahhhhh white wall tires!
IMAG1193.jpg

Window tint finished up 3m 5% rear and 15% sides
IMAG1232.jpg

Porsche carrera calipers "which turned out to be non s boxster calipers" and STI rotors DRT
IMAG1234.jpg

Powder coated them white with brembo lettering.
IMAG1230.jpg

Powder coating a few other parts
IMAG1224.jpg

IMAG1221.jpg

IMAG1215.jpg

Dirty engine bay pick but shows the powder coating
IMAG1226.jpg

3" exhaust with mandrel bends. 24" dynomax bullet, high flow cat, flex piece and magnaflow straight through muffler. Pretty quite for a 3" exhaust with very little to no drone on the highway. I will be trying to get a video of this soon. Tip is a standard 3" chrome tip which was cut to fit so it looks small and stockish
IMAG1155.jpg

IMAG1161.jpg

IMAG1154.jpg

IMAG1160.jpg

IMAG1162.jpg

I was able to fix the sway bar mounting issue by drilling a whole and running a bolt up behind it. Took awhile to get it lined up but worked great. Also finished up the interior bits. So at that she was finally ready to go.
IMAG1254.jpg

Alltracs.... Taking care of babies since 1988
IMAG1252.jpg

IMAG1255.jpg

IMAG1259.jpg

I actually got votes in the car show even though it was for 3S's only LOL
IMAG1262.jpg

IMAG2915.jpg

IMAG1264.jpg

IMAG2917.jpg

IMAG2913.jpg

She completed the trip wonderfully with many complements. My spedo went out on the way home but everything else was perfect.
IMAG1275.jpg

Since she has run a cammed 4.6 mustang and dominated it. Would have taken an LS1 camaro but I botched the launch horribly.
And with all that she is currently done for a little while so that I may enjoy.. And start on the wifes alltrac. Currently gathering parts and it will have its own project thread soon as well.

Thanks for all the comments over the last 5 years!!! Not to mention all the help. She was worth it.

James :D

Landon

IMAG1255.jpg

Panda Bear! Love the look man, looks really good. Do you have the brakes installed yet? and did you do the window tint yourself? I like the white accents in the bay. All around, looking good!

Hotrodhendrix

Thanks! I tried doing the window tint myself but messed up on the first piece so I ended up having a pro do that part. Brakes have yet to be installed. Im going to have to sale this set of calipers and try to find the correct set. These would work with WRX rotors but the bracket that is offered on here to mount them would have to thinned down a bit. I already purchased the DRT STI rotors so I will just wait till I can get the correct calipers.

*Note Non S boxster calipers are slightly thinner yet use the exact same bore size. Between larger pads and rotors the boxster S puts down an extra 7% stopping power with less brake fade per porsche forums.

Terracar

I like the two-tone color scheme.

I like the fact that you did PC the parts as opposed to painting. I almost think the PCing is a brighter white than the car. Engine bay looks cleaner with the accents. You should get some exhaust clips up soon.

Overall, car looks great. It has been a long haul, but you made it.

Truly an inspiration to get off my arse and get something done on mine.

-Terracar

Landon

got ya. what kind of tint did you use? I also have a set of those brackets and will need to find a set of calipers soon. if you find an extra set let me know!!

Hotrodhendrix

Landon":qbe5kay1 said:
got ya. what kind of tint did you use? I also have a set of those brackets and will need to find a set of calipers soon. if you find an extra set let me know!!

Window tint is 3m premium 5% rear and 15% sides. Seems to be really good stuff. I have yet to find a bubble so im very happy with it and the installer.

Yeah might just use them for the calipers once I sale the other set. Luckily the dust boots are the same size so the ones I ordered will fit the correct calipers.

~James

Hotrodhendrix

Finally made it to a dyno. AVCR seemingly didnt work as first pull was with it off and when I turned it on with increased boost the power actually decreased. :shrug:

So best run was on the spring rate (tial big red) 9psi. 269 AWHP. It was very interesting as the last time I ran with the exact same setup besides it had 2.5' exhaust it only made 219. So seemingly 3' exhaust with mandrel bends and straight through mufflers increased my power by 50AWHP :shock:
It did spool up faster with the smaller exhaust though

IMAG1317.jpg

On the way I ran into my first alltrac by accident. Pulled in to get a bit of grub at a whataburger and there it was... Just looking at me. I asked the employees but they had no idea and no one ever left. Seems to have been sitting awhile. Looks alot like mine did when I got it.
IMAG1315.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF7d6fg ... ata_player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxJJUQ5gqA0

Anyone know how I can download these videos off youtube? I am having a hell of a time even with the how to's

~James

athousandleaves

I use a free firefox add-on called ANT Video downloader, saves them as .FLV's that you can view with VLC
Works on any videos on the web in my experience.

Great results with the car, digging the colour of the new one too :)

underscore

I use a part of Realplayer, if you download Realplayer, close all your browser windows, install it and select the video downloader. Then if you mouse over a video, it'll have a popup to download it.

Hotrodhendrix

Well for those who remember. I purchased a set of Porsche Boxster S calipers off of craigslist for 225 which turned out to be non S and included mounting hardware from ECS tuning. Buyer disappeared and I was left with a kit that I spent time to powder coat white.
Luckily the kit sold and I made a cool 400 bucks on it. The correct Carrera calipers have been purchased from car-parts.com for 220 shipped for both! Keep an eye on there if your looking as they seem to have better prices than fleabay. The rest of the funds I thought about going megasquirt DIY PNP but I think its going to my 1964 honda dream restore project.

I will update with pics as I get them repowder and install with the new rotors, pads and brackets. I also purchased a new blower motor, a/c sensor (darn 90-91 wired sensor), dryer and coolant to finally get the A/C going. Other than that still trying to figure out why the speedo with new cables worked for a few seconds then quit again.

~James

Hotrodhendrix

Howdy. Since all of these pics it did get a standalone, fuel upgrades etc around 2016ish. Next round will be coming up after I finish the 70 Torino restoration soon. After alltrac refresh then ol Pearl's turn. (42 Chevy). Tried to post a pic but wouldn't work :p