Rear Axles CV Boot Kit?

mike325ci

Has anyone changed the CV Boot in the rear axles successfully, and if so, where did you get the part (and part # please if you have it)?

This is really frustrating: I ordered a CV Boot Kit for my ST185 from NAPA online, and they sent me boots that were way too small (about 3 inch in diameter) for both the inners and the outers.

So then I go to RockAuto and order boots specific to the ST185, and they are again too small (again, about 3 inches in diameter).

My car has been down for way too long, and this sort of delay is really bringing me down... I think I'm gonna have to break down and buy a Boot Kit from Toyota-- now, I looked at the Toyota Part Number Thread here, and also looking it up at ToyoDIY.com, I am a bit confused exactly what part number I need. Seems like the boot itself can be a separate part #, and the "kit" (assuming it's the boot + grease + clamps) have another part # but it doesn't differentiate between the inner and outer boots (they are clearly different on the stock old ones I took out).

Halp~~!! >< TIA~

Simba

You can get complete reman CV shafts from RockAuto for $60 after core charge. Better than messing around with the boots, IMO.

mike325ci

I went to a few local parts stores and the dealership and no one has either boots or axles in stock.

So I'm down to ordering it online and my car being down for longer...

RockAuto: I'm afraid the reman axles I will get will be the wrong size again, given how their boot kit for my car was the wrong size...

I looked it up and only this one shows up in the results:
A-1 CARDONE Part # 605085
I hope this is right... *cross my fingers*

mike325ci

For future reference:

Toyota
04437-20020 List Price: $41.99 [$31.49 @ WholesaleToyoParts.com]
"BOOT KIT, FR DRIVE"

This is the correct boot kit for the AllTrac. This include BOTH the inner and outer boots, with a snap ring, grease for both inner and outer, and 4 bands.

In the online parts lookup, there was some confusion b/c inner and outer kits are sold separately too, and there was some updating of part numbers. The part # above is the WHOLE ENTIRE BOOT KIT--- get 2 of them to do both rear axles.

So that's what I ended up doing. I rebuilt them myself. Rear of the car is 98% all back together now. :)

Meenya

Have you checked 1sttoyotaparts?
I got FR passenger side kit in August for $36 and local price was $150!

underscore":1rgjq9bi said:
Massive bump. List on that kit is $120 now? :shock: Has anyone found a better way?

underscore

1st Toyota might be my best bet, although I found out last night that some Previa front axles use the same boot kit as the Alltrac rear axles. So I'm hoping to hunt down some of those.

OEM toyota kit of both inner, outer and related hardware is the only thing I found to work. Lockal Napa could no help in any way.

phattyduck

Lots of local-type parts stores can send out axles to be rebuilt (as in, you get your exact axles back in a day or two with new boots, etc.). That's another option. Last time I did that as a 'normal' person it was $75 per axle, but my buddy's shop gets them done for $35 each. Totally worth it to keep your hands clean of all that grease. :)

-Charlie

edit: my experience above was with front Alltrac/V6 Camry axles and Subaru axles.

mike325ci

I posted the exact Toyota part number above. Use that order from the discount online Toyota dealers... That's the only one that fits. I've tried all the aftermarket ones and none of them worked...

11262_663961144382_6344038_n.jpg