Aggressive outer and inner tire wear after a season

celigts

Could someone give me ideas as or things to look at about why my front tires wore out so fast! Used the 1.5 summers and just the outer and inner fronts went to crap.

Shocks have been on there way out and now I see my sway bAr end link is toast on the drivers side.

Thanks

DTE

Awesome-Trac":o034w5p6 said:
This looks like a over inflated tire where only the side walls wear faster before the center
Under inflated wears the outsides over inflated wears the center.

celigts

Ill check my pressure. I haven't really checked often. I gauge it by how low it lays on the ground from the sidewall.

Would anything mechanical cause anything like this?

Mafix

yes a good check of the front end and more dilligent maintenance. one of the perks of owning a sports car.

celigts

Yea still learning. Ill just have to get a decent pressure gauge and keep it handy. Sounds like its pretty much all about tire pressure in this case

ALLensTRAC

Has the car been on an alignment rack recently? Most shops will charge a small fee to check the alignment without adjusting it(my shop is only a half hour labor verse 1.8 hours with the full adjustment FYI). It also looks as though they're pretty well worn out just more so towards the edges. Take what Mafix said to heart. Owning a sports car(especially one thats 20 years old) requires constant small checks to keep from creating expensive problems. Tire pressure is number one on that list. Remember that your tires are the only thing connecting you to the road. Keep your pressure around 35 psi and rotate the tires every 3000 miles. Have an alignment check done at least once a year. Its amazing how fast poor alignment angles can destroy a set of tires.
Good Luck,
Allen

celigts

Thanks for the feedback and ill schedule an alignment to be done. My friend over the weekend suggested that as well cuz personally never had it done and didn't know it should be a routine thing. Would tire pressure be the same front and rear then abouts?

4rsnduction

You should have your alignments checked and adjusted by a professional every time you get a new set of tires or when you notice erratic wear on the tire face.
toes in/out is the major adjusting point
camber and caster are not directly adjustable with a stock suspension setup but changing the toe values can alter the camber/caster values but a minor amount.

Awesome-Trac

DTE":34x7ws5t said:
Awesome-Trac":34x7ws5t said:
This looks like a over inflated tire where only the side walls wear faster before the center
Under inflated wears the outsides over inflated wears the center.

Thank you sir for the correction, lol I was actually mounting a tire while wrote this with the similar problem

underscore

celigts":1guo2516 said:
Ill check my pressure. I haven't really checked often. I gauge it by how low it lays on the ground from the sidewall.

Would anything mechanical cause anything like this?

Low pro's or any stiff sidewall tire won't really show that it's low until it's getting extremely low, my old tires didn't look any different until they got down below 15psi.