Pictures - updated Oct. 11, 2012

Meenya

Thanks guys.

No rubbing and no rolled fenders yet...
Using 245/40/17 tires
Front ~ -1.75 camber
Rear ~ -2.5 camber

The closest point to rubbing is rears outside...I want to lower it a bit more and reduce negative camber at the back as I don't need that much...to do that will need to roll the fenders at the back yes.

Meenya

It can be done:)
Rota is the only brand I could find with 30mm offset and off the shelf ready to ship. Reasonably priced too;)

Meenya

I'm very curious what they are as I did hunt for some time and couldn't find any:)
CSAlltrac":3kcaucgl said:
Theres others out there, jut have to hunt. I found the set Im gonna buy, it took me for ever to decide

toayoztan

What's your take on the Rota's anyway?

I'm sure you've heard the mixed reviews about half saying they are cheap quality, don't buy them, they won't hold up.

The other half says they are plenty fine unless you "slam into a curb at 90mph" kind of deal (basically, it's not good to do that with any wheel).

Did you get them for the looks and b/c they were a good price, or b/c you think they will hold up good and plan to do some racing and pushing the car?

Bryan

CMS-GT4

Rotas have been proven on the track for a while. The only real thing against them is being a replica. A lot of hate over that.

The car looks good.

underscore

Cheap wheels + expensive tires > expensive wheels and cheap tires.

And then there's the whole cost for a replacement thing too.

toayoztan

Yeah, I think that's the general gist I got after reading some more.

I think I will probably go with Gold. Replicas are fine with me right now, since I can't afford 2-3k wheels.

Bryan

Meenya

I haven't taken the car to the track yet...but have been driving the car throughout the summer pushing the car and on bad roads in Toronto. So far no issues.
I believe that those people that have negative reviews were running 30 profile tires or lower. I've seen strong expensive wheels break running low profile tires.

Reasons I got them in importance order:
1. They clear AP Racing brakes up front (I could get 2 GramLights for front since I already had 2 rears (for sale now) but I would need spacers to clear the brakes. I don't like the spacer idea when I spend $600+ per wheel.

2. Price is important too when you get wheels and not sure if they will fit properly. Note: DMS coilovers leave less room on inside of the wheel at the back than other coilovers as the springs seat quite a bit lover. In my case 255 tire would not work with 15mm effective offset and negative camber on my car. I would need lower offset and roll the fender.
3. I am planning to use them for racing and the thought process was that I can rotate them.
I'm looking for another nice set of dress wheels for cruising that won't need any spacers and look good. Something like Pat's (alltrac101) setup. But I need more time to figure out perfect offset and AP brakes makes it more harder to find right wheels as they don't like making rims that clear big brakes in 5x100 setup :(

toayoztan":er5rojmf said:
What's your take on the Rota's anyway?

I'm sure you've heard the mixed reviews about half saying they are cheap quality, don't buy them, they won't hold up.

The other half says they are plenty fine unless you "slam into a curb at 90mph" kind of deal (basically, it's not good to do that with any wheel).

Did you get them for the looks and b/c they were a good price, or b/c you think they will hold up good and plan to do some racing and pushing the car?

Bryan

toayoztan

Good info. I'm only running stock brakes for now, but will be upgrading down the road, and is nice to know these wheels will clear without issues.

Bryan

CSAlltrac

If you get on some VW forums they tend to have some very nice wheels. I will say that they are more about the "stance" thing than performance but you can still find good widths and offsets for us to use. Thats where I found these.
396422_258744740860724_100001756016173_603764_828602701_n.jpg

They come in white and thats what I want to get. Ken Block uses them on the fiesta and he has some very good "testing" videos.