Running lean on cold start. Ideas as to why?

celigts

So every morning or after work when I start my car it runs lean till I drive it a bit then it idles at the normal 14.6-15.3 about. Ideas as to why when its cold it does this?

4rsnduction

Good money on a fueling issue.
Possibly mechanical problem like pressure and pumps or electronic related like data acquisition and distribution (afm/maf/map)

bridge47

More info is needed.

Does it run bad? Stalling? Hard starts?

Could just be incomplete combustion while engine is cold, which would show a rich mix back on the days of carbs and no cats. Todays EFI might be a little counterintuitive. An example: I used to run emission tests and hydrocarbons(unburnt fuel) would be highest when car was lean. Why? Incomplete combustion.

Another possibility:
I have found, at least on base toyotas from the 90s, that the cold start valve does not need to be plugged in at temps above 30F and car starts with no difference. Not sure about the 3SGTE so make sure it is functioning/plugged in.

celigts

It does sound like its missing at idle. What I mean is it'll warm up at idle for 10 mins or so. Drive and by the time I drive 5 mins m, stop and it's idling normal. Every time I start the car when it's been sitting a bit it idles leaner then 17

bridge47

These cars require no warm-up. Get in turn the key, after 30-60 seconds seconds drive down the road. Car should accept throttle with no bogging,bucking or hesitation.

I'll back read some of your posts to see where your at, but have you confirmed all the tuneup basics?

OutToWinPAHC

is the cold start switch plugged in? Coolant neck switch that tells ecu to fire cold start injector on close loop when coolant is below a certain value.

celigts

I'm sure about the cold start injector :/ should be since last I checked.

What maintenance basics should I do? Other then plugs and oil change. Plug wires aren't bran new but where in good shape and distributor caps in good shape too

bridge47

Baseline time.

Get at least a chiltons. BGB is better still. Turn to the page that has the engine misfiring flowchart. Both manuals have it. Move down this list methodically skipping nothing. After all, these are the people who built your car. If you get hung up somewhere post back. Soon your problem will be no more and you will gain more knowledge about how your car is supposed to function.

celigts

Yea looked it over. ATM I forgot what I should be checking but what will my fuel pressure be. Or should be. I have a fpr I can put in to see what it's at and ill check for the 2 wired switch on the sensor water neck.

Myth

I know this is an old topic, but did you solve your problem? I'm having the same exact problem, and can't figure it out.

bridge47 said:
These cars require no warm-up. Get in turn the key, after 30-60 seconds seconds drive down the road. Car should accept throttle with no bogging,bucking or hesitation.

My car will idle 13.5-13.9 during cold start, and will run 10.5 under any throttle until my car is well into the coolant temp guage. It hesitates pretty bad, something sound off or is this typical.