Transmission removal help

tintman22

Hello I'm trying to remove the transaxle and transfer case as one off my 1992 st185. I think I might be missing something. I can get the transaxle to seperate 3/4" away from motor but doesn't seem to want to go any further, I can wiggle it around a bit. Do I need to remove the transfer case or can they come off together? Any help would be apperciated.

jaydog82

Best way is to lay the engine on the timing cover with the transmission supported by an engine hoist and slowly lift up and twist the trans to free up the transfer case from the engine. Have you read the bgb?

tintman22

I downloaded a manual off this site but its pretty fauge So it should just slip off at this point? Ill keep at it. a friend told me there might be some sort of pin to remove?

tintman22

Ok after lifting the motor in ther air and some more wiggling it started to come off. Just needed to more persistent, i didn't want to miss something and break it. One more hurdle crossed!

Awesome-Trac

Man then your having the same trouble I had when I was removing the trans! If it was hard to remove then your going to have fun on install. Best suggestion is the engine stand up method cause putting it in while engine is on the hoist is back breaking which I learned the hard way

Sifu

Best tip for seperating trans from transaxle is that wiggle you mentioned. I find that lifting the trans at the end (so it pivots a bit) up and twisting it left and right works better than trying to pull it apart by just yanking it. I be a trans jack would help but I'd rather wrestle with it. Remind it who's boss.