Water Meth injection with W2A IC?!

zero06

Has anyone done a water/meth injection with any of the stock w2a IC setups?

I have an RC intercooler with upgraded pump and heat exchanger that I would like to add water meth injection to. but the stock rubber coupler means I would have to get creative with injector placement.

klue

underscore":24y4ovvc said:
Ideally the injector is supposed to go after the IC but before the TB.

yes, you dont want a bunch of water dumping right into your manifold if you snap the throttle closed quickly

When i was using a RC wta, I extended the outlet of the intercooler so it fit into the TB, and just tapped the injector right there

athousandleaves

You're not really dumping a ton of water in there, it should be a very fine mist.

The point isn't to get water/meth into the cylinders but to cool intake air temps.

Some folks argue that even putting the sprayer before the turbo isn't harmful... :shrug:

underscore

but then you have it hitting the turbo and your intercooler. For a variety of reasons I don't see why you would want it pre-intercooler.

athousandleaves

In most real world situations the air is hot enough coming off the asphalt that the water and meth have already vaporized before meeting the turbo and you are compressing air that is already drastically cooler so its isothermal rather than adiabadic and you end up putting less strain on the blades. I've seen setups like this even ditch the intercooler all together and maintain power and intake temps in a healthy range.
Post turbo water injection is what you need if you're trying to mitigate detonation or do some crazy fuel economy experiments but having cooler air in the first place goes a long way and keeps the turbo much more healthy.

Properly setting up the water injection so it goes on at a specific %throttle or as a progressive spray helps from anything getting rusty also as you can anticipate that any remaining water will evaporate when at idle/cool down.

If you want to get very involved with this you can even inject water into the exhaust to cool the pipes and change the effective A/R of the turbo from the steam generated however this is something that requires some very expensive gear and time to setup properly. :twisted:

I just sorta like the cold start injector placement as its minimal work but really one should be going before the turbo if they want true power gains from water injection.

MXP_57

It all depends on what your goals are. The magic will take place at the place where your water evaporates as that's where it will absorb heat. So:

If you want to prevent detonation: inject water as close to your cylinders as possible so it make the combustion slower and more stable while the water evaporates inside the cylinders. (ideally individual port water injection)

If you want to cool the intake temps for power: inject as far from the cylinder as possible so the water can all be evaporated before the cooled down air inters your cylinders.

If you want to make your turbo flow more air and reduce intake temps: inject before the turbo so it evaporates inside the turbo while the air expands during compression like "athousandsleaves" said.

Keep in mind you can inject so much water before the air is saturated in humidity. So make the right choices for your need.

You always want to inject the finest mist possible.

And also the more bends and obstacles to your air flow, the more the WI will become inefficient and it can pool in your IC and turn your intercooler into a heater.

Also inject water for cooling, and meth for making more power (raising octane).

I run no intercooler, E85, and pre/post water injection. no meth.

cgtdream

You can deffo do water/meth injection with our stock WTA setups. On my 205, i installed the injector in the rubber piece that connects the TB to the Intercooler. And no worries about water pooling up anywhere, as the water/meth dosent spray until it senses positive vacuum pressure, and usually at whatever bar is set it at (currently 1.1 bar)

klue

OP is asking a specific question, not about dreaming up the most elaborate WI set up.
lets keep it real and helpful

athousandleaves

Ultimately you have 4 options for WI and as others have stated its all about what you want to do with it.

1 - pre turbo - for cooler intake temps overall, detonation resistance, less effort for the turbo and intercooler
2 - pre throttlebody, post intercooler - for detonation resistance
3 - post throttlebody - for detonation resistance
4 - exhaust - modify A/R and cool exhaust

Its up to you!

aus jd 2703

athousandleaves":26cobygo said:
4 - exhaust - modify A/R and cool exhaust

why would you want to do this? the heat is what spins the turbo, if you cool the gas you will slow your spool... and if you go after the turbo whats the point? never heard of this just trying to understand why any one would do it except for maybe emissions (exhaust aftercooler).

athousandleaves

By spraying into the exhaust the expanding steam can alter the effective A/R of the turbo allowing faster spool up along with greatly decreasing the temps of exhaust pipes. If not done properly you will destroy your turbo.

It also makes your emissions MUCH cleaner.

Have a google at it if you want more info.

zero06

The car has an ats ecu, soo I am still running the cold start injector and I am driving it in wi winters soo that's out, I'm worried about condensation on the IC fins if I inject pre intercooler or turbo...
I was thinking about tapping the IC, And injecting into the end of the IC right before the outlet tube.

If you tapped into the coupler, how did you make sure it sealed?

MXP_57

Yes i wouldn't inject before the IC. Right at the exit is good.

Not in the coupler it will be too much pain to seal it properly.

Also consider a progressive controller if you want to take full advantage of WI. Devilsown have some cheap ones. (cheap as in compared to aqua mist) lol Like this you can inject considerable amount of water early and increase as you go up in revs.

Detonation often happen at low revs when the load is high, but you also want to inject more water at higher rpms. But if you inject to much water at low rpms it's gonna kill ignition.