Lightweight flywheel & 6-puck clutch.

MWP

Hi all,

Im trying to work out what flywheel i should use in my 5S-GTE ST185 build.
The car will be a weekend driver and used for light motorsport uses (autocross, hillclimb, etc).

Im considering buying a ACT ProLight flywheel, but im a bit worried that it'll be too light and give me too many drivability issues when using a medium-harsh clutch.
I would buy a heavier flywheel, but it seems these are actually a little difficult to find (needs to have slotted bolt holes).

Done anyone have any advice/wisdom to offer??

Thanks in advance! :)

klue

I have used CM flywheels 12lb and 9 lb, works great. Might be tricky on a stock car, but any modified car with and ems and good base timing will have enough torque that drive ability is not a concern

klue

CM, im not a fan of fidanza products, after seeing a cltuch explode on a project drag car - 9500 rpm under 25psi of boost, the CM clutch was still intact, the clutch had made its way through the rad, hood, and blew open a window in the transmission large enough i could probably change the rear main seal.... :crazy:

klue":3rdt05xi said:
CM, im not a fan of fidanza products, after seeing a cltuch explode on a project drag car - 9500 rpm under 25psi of boost, the CM clutch was still intact, the clutch had made its way through the rad, hood, and blew open a window in the transmission large enough i could probably change the rear main seal.... :crazy:

Main thing to take away from that is not that Fidanza make poorly make flywheels, but that the owner/builder choose a flywheel that wasn't up to the task, ie "Drag Car" "9500rpm" "25psi" :shrug:

klue

re reading that I worded it VERY poorly

What I was meaning to say is that I am not a fan of fidanza flywheels. More specifically ALUMINUM flywheels.

The street car built for drag (as supposed to circuit) was using a CM 9lb chromoly flywheel. and after the clutch exploded, the flywheel was still intact. Thats what sold me on the CM.

I also run a CM clutch stage 3 on my mild track car 300awhp or so, takes a fucking ringing every time I start it. OEM flywheel though, i spent all my money on the clutch lol.

Mafix

i use fidanza products with no issues what so ever. i also use unsprung competition clutches. i've had no issues what so ever (provided i know the tiny mod you need to do to run competition clutches)

klue

They probably work just fine, but in that situation we had I highly doubt the flywheel would have survived lol

Corey

I'm using the ACT lighweight flywheel with their HD organic disk, drive-ability is fantastic. Not sure how it would feel with a 6 puck though.

gearhead313

I run some cheapo ebay super light flywheel currently. Fantastic, zero issues. I used to run a full ACT 4 puck unsprung clutch, which was my favorite ever ever ever, but sold my last car with it in there and havent purchased another yet. I think i have a spec in there now? i forget.. 6 puck sprung... they feel stock to me after all this time.

Unfortunately it sux to change the clutch in the 'trac, b/c i LOVE aluminum flywheels for the fact that I'll get a season of racing out of it, swap the plate and boom done. I dont make the power for a twin disc setup yet, ...thank gawd.

MWP

I went with the ACT ProLight in the end.
Flywheel looks great, seems to be of much higher quality than anything available off the shelf here in Aus.