choosing my brakes pads

FabZ

Hi, i'm in the process of choosing my new brake pads.

i've been looking at Hawk HP+ but been told they are not available for our cars. So now i'm hesitation between Project Mu HC+ and Porterfield R4.

i got my price quotes for both .

Porterfield R4, 179.95 for front and 139.95 for rear. + shipping+tax

Project Mu HC+ 265$ for front and 230$ for rear shipped tx in.

Now i have some questions before I make a choice.

frist, anybody can compare the performance of both pads and tell me if project Mu's are worth the difference?

Second, i've been looking on Porterfield website and i've noticed that they list many applications for the same pads. maybe i was wrong all that time but i tought that our brakes were different for all those cars.. maybe they just share the same pad.. i'd need someone to confirm.

http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/produ ... uctID=2769

front ones.

http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/produ ... uctID=2716

they look similar to my pads so i think i may have been wrong all that time..

Thanks alot!

pokemeintheeye

Wow! Those are some expensive pads. I'm assuming you probably give your car some track time. Sorry I can't chime in on those pads. I usually just buy OE or OE equivalent pads. But now I am interested in reading what others have experienced with those.

FabZ

Yeah, i've been on the track twice so far. And i'm planning to joint a lapping club with some friends next summer. I dont build my car with the purpose of being a track car. Actually i have another track car project. But in the meantime of building it i'll be tracking my RC a couple times.

I did drive it as it is now. All stock plus a Whiteline sway bar and BC racing RAM coilovers. It was fun. But the brakes were fading quite fast just compared to my old one with only a set of EBC YELLOW up front.. but since i had the common issue of the garnish falling off with these, id rather try a new brand.

FabZ

finally bought porterfield R4, and i got myself some goodridge SS lines. i'm now cleaning my 4 calipers and i'll paint them black. I'll give feedback on how they support the abuse on the track this summer! :)

gearhead313

We use a LOT of Hawk pads here at our shop, little complaint on moderately used track cars.

I like the Projects, but I do NOT have track experience on them. I would imagine if its standard duty and your not a trail braker, then they would be pretty good. I'm not familiar with the porterfields...

FabZ

But if i remember right. Hawk only produce the hps for the alltrac.. i would have wanted some HP+..

Yeah as i said the HC+ were my other option but they seemed like less of a track compound.

CMS-GT4

I have run the ports on my alltrac for a while. Those with high temp fluid really helped the car, but I think you will need braided lines as well as maybe some front ducting to make the stock brakes worth much of a damn on longer hard braking runs. TRD had a bit more bit than the ports, but they are no longer made.

FabZ

I already bought goodridge braided lines and i will run some ATE superblue brake fluid too. Air duct could be usefull too ! I'll see if they hold the 20min runs and if they dont i'll fab some.

You had the R4 or R4S ? There is also the R4E. For endurance races. But if i remember they needed to be heated up before they would bite properly.

klue

stock brakes are not up to track work with the alltracs weight. Id make sure and change your fluid after every event, try the vents too but keep the rock chips out

FabZ

Depends on the track. I did a track day with only a set of ebc yellow in the front and it was fine. It was a small track mostly on 2nd gear. But this summer i did another track day on a high speed track with a 1/4mile long straight. I had oem brake pads and oil and they would hold 3 laps if i pushed. But if i was gentle i could hold the whole 20min. The track i'll my membership to this summer is more of a mid speed track so maybe i'll be good ! Actually i don't want to upgrade the brakes since its not the main purpose of the car. I have a track car project too but i still want to do a couple trackdays while i'm building it. :p

CMS-GT4

My stock setup did fine on autox. Anything with long runs, and it was fade city. I hope to test out my new setup soon. My goal for it was to drop weight more than anything. I expect some better braking as well.

FabZ

What is your set up already ? Is it the porsches brembo with Sti rotor im not sure.. this should handle alot of abuse with some proper pads and good brake oil ! Its so tempting to do the same qlwith mine but i have to respect my budget and in the end.. so i'm kinds conviving myself that my car with earn value with time if i keep it mostly OEM. So for now the only mods are ; BC Racing RAM coilovers, witheline swaybar with two R us links comming soon. Porter pads, ss lines, short shifter (c-one i think ?), foam air filter on oe airbox and a set of nology spark plug wires ! :)

Oh and btw ! Merry chrismas to you hehe

FabZ

Ohh nice ! Yeah i've seen your build thread but havent got time to go trought it yet ! I've read like the first 5 pages a while ago.