Autronic SMC and Air Conditioning woes

melvinman2000

I just had a autronic smc installed on my 5th gen and having ac woes. I followed the diagram here:

http://memweb.newsguy.com/~gtfour/autronic/install.html

I wired a 1kohm resistor inbetween from the negative ignition coil side to my ac amplifier wire where it used to be plugged into my stock ecu. I still cant get the compressor to fire up. Any suggestions? My ac magnetic clutch relay wire I don't think is wired up. Do I need to do anything with this?

Thank You

Stephen

Hic

You need to give rpm's to the ac amplifire. Just wire the black wire back, iirc, abd it works as stock.

melvinman2000

Sorry I know its been awhile but I am in need of AC since its been warming up here. What does IIRC mean? So black ignition wire to the ac amplifier is all I need?

phattyduck

melvinman2000":1a3s54cg said:
Sorry I know its been awhile but I am in need of AC since its been warming up here. What does IIRC mean? So black ignition wire to the ac amplifier is all I need?
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

Yes, the AC amplifier needs to see the tach signal. You will also probably have to do some tuning and maybe an extra wire to the Autronic to turn up idle speed when the AC is on (this depends heavily on your exact setup).

-Charlie

melvinman2000

Charlie thank you so much for answering back.

Ok well I spoke with autronic and they told me to pull the tach signal off my msd 6. Can I just run the tach signal to the a/c (air compressor) wire on my old ecu harness or is there a specific wire on the ac amplifier itself I need to splice into.

Stephen

melvinman2000

I wired the MSD tach output to the ac amplifier ignition wire. It tripped the ac clutch relay and then clicked on the ac compressor clutch and cold ac. However The issue im having now is it constantly stays on even when I turn off the AC button its still on, not good. It also isn't cycling. Any ideas?

phattyduck

Is there 12V at the compressor clutch (rather, does unplugging the compressor clutch wire turn it off)?

Any chance other AC related wiring was touched? The AC amplifier takes care of the rest of the control (temp control, cycling, etc.).

-Charlie

melvinman2000

The air conditioner worked before I had the autronic smc installed. After install it is not working so as far as wires are concerned the only wires that were touched should be the ones that were originally at the ecu for the air conditioner.

Unplugging the compressor will turn it off.

The ac amplifier wire I have hooked up to my msd rpm signal is #1 IG on the ac amplifier harness. Is this correct?