ST185 Front Sway Bar Mount Repair

LongIslandElite

I just picked up a st185 and one of the front sway bar mounts is rotted out. I'm wondering how people have gone about fixing this problem. If you have done this repair could you please post pics and explain how you went about the repair. Finding another chassis is not an option. Now for a few questions.

Are the sway bar mounts the same on the st184?

If I find a drivers side mount could I use it to replace the passenger side?

Thanks in advance

toayoztan

I've done a repair.

I can show you some pictures when I get back into town this weekend.

Mine was not rotted out, but a bolt snapped off.

Basically, if you take a saw zaw and make a clean cut, you should be able to fabricate your own mount, if you know or have access to a welder.

Have a picture of your mount?

Bryan

LongIslandElite

I don't have any pics right now as the car is at a friends house, but I will get a few pics ASAP. I'm interested in what you have done, but mine is pretty bad.

LongIslandElite

Here is a few pics of the sway bar mount
1-5-13003_zps560f0672.jpg

1-5-13002_zps3419e991.jpg

lumbercis

I had the same thing. Took it to a professional and paid them some money and they fabricated new mounts. Car drives straight as an arrow.
I didn't provide them with a panel cut from another car but that is an option and might lower your cost if all they have to do is cut and weld a new panel in.

toayoztan

If you don't have access to a welder and don't have much fabrication experience, I would take it to a pro too at that stage to ensure proper alignment.

A significant chunk of that (more/beyond on what you just see) may have to be cut out and treated properly to prevent further rusting/rotting.

Bryan