ST205 rear brakes on an ST185

Toyota_Todd

Tried the search and come up with nothing, so here goes...

I have the brake parts to do the 205 swap on the rear brakes of my ST185. Of the members that have done the rear brake swap, did you change out the backing plates or did you just use the stock ST185 backing plates. Any pics or advice would be great and appreciated.

Thanks!

if you mean the shield then no. I did not replace it. It would require you to take apart your hub in order to replace the shield with a 205. Not sure if it comes off actually. You may have to replace the whole hub with shield. if you were to try and take off the shield, I would probably try and replace the whole hub with a 205 piece.

I just bend the shield back enough to clear the 205 rotors. you also need to shim or create a nice hub spacer ring to bump the centre hub diameter from 54.1mm to 55mm. there are a few ways to do that. do a search.

Toyota_Todd

Thanks for the quick reply and links to more information. Looks pretty straight forward with those instructions. I just need to get them cleaned and then I will get on with the installation.

Cuttyman9

Would anything separate this from doing the same on a GT instead of an Alltrac? I was considering the 205 brakes on my car.

toayoztan

Not sure if it would fit correctly, but I do know your ebrake won't work with the 205 rotors as the internal diameter of the drum portion of the rotor is different.

Bryan

Cuttyman9

Ah, so I'd need to "steal" an alltrac's parking brake assembly to make it work or that's Disabled on this swap even on an Alltrac?

toayoztan

Cuttyman9":3q2ft664 said:
Ah, so I'd need to "steal" an alltrac's parking brake assembly to make it work or that's Disabled on this swap even on an Alltrac?

The alltrac ebrake hardware basically is the same [size] as the 205, so that's not an issue when swapping.

I'm not sure about swapping over the alltrac ebrake stuff to the GT... I guess it depends on the shield (which is what it attaches to), but also if the shield would even fit on the GT knuckle/spindle/hub carrier (whatever you want to call it heh).

Bryan

Celicatuner92

The sheilds are not simple to replace/change. They are spot welded to the plate the ebrake assembly mounts on which if i remember right is riveted to the rear knuckle under the hub so it is not simple to get to.

toayoztan

The shield/ebrake assy plate can be separated from the knuckle, it's just 4 nuts and it slides out. Of course, you need to press the hub out.

The shield and ebrake plate is spot welded together, however, so you'd have to replace the entire thing more than likely or fabricate something.

With all of this, not worth it. I'd look into a different rear brake option too.

Bryan

Insanity-74

As an alternative, IIRC, the whole ST205 rear sub frame bolts straight onto the ST185 (at least it does with the Carlos Sainz) this would give you a slightly wider track too. I know at least one person who has done this, I dont think any modification was needed.

phattyduck

Insanity-74":1kpte9vw said:
As an alternative, IIRC, the whole ST205 rear sub frame bolts straight onto the ST185 (at least it does with the Carlos Sainz) this would give you a slightly wider track too. I know at least one person who has done this, I dont think any modification was needed.
Track goes up by about 60mm total (30mm or 1.2" each side) with the ST205 rear arms. Rear subframes are compatible across all generations. The rear ST205 hub is nice with the brakes because they have the correct 55mm center bore for the brake disc (the wheel center bore is still 54.1mm, the hub has a small step) instead of the full 54.1mm center bore of the earlier (ST185/ST165) cars.

-Charlie

underscore

Insanity-74":382uoep0 said:

As I recall it increases rear camber as a consequence, so you'll have to adjust for that.