7th generation celica 3sgte help

pilot4life89

i'm putting a 4th generation 3sgte into my 2001 celica gt.

does anyone know how to do the exhaust? if so, pictures would be nice, if you had some!

I have an idea, i'm just not sure it would be the best, and would like to hear other people's opinions before doing what i was thinking.

thanks for the help!

warracer

doing a 3sgte swap in a 7th? All I have to tell you is good luck , this isn't a simple project, not any single motor mount on the chassis will fit (1zzfe) , so all that must be custom made. Also, like you said, exhaust must be completely custom made. But the true problem would be wiring, man that would be a true head ache to do ... The only 3SGTE 7th Gen celica I know off is from Fensport... but They spent well over 20'000 English pounds for a project like this... http://www.fensport.co.uk/FensportCars/ ... GT4_X.aspx

If you want performance in a 7th gen, you should probably keep the 1zz and turbo it properly or my personal choice would be using the 2ZZ from the GTS and then turbo that one with a simple 6-7psi setup... Would be plenty for that chassis...

Cheers

pilot4life89

Thanks for the post!
The mounts aren't a problem, i know a guy that will let me use his shop to make a couple of mounts. And my dad has his master's in electrical engineering, so he's got the wiring down. : )
The only problem we haven't decided what to do about is the exhaust, we can't just go under because it will be too low, unless we flatten the pipe, but that would be restrictive. : /

brutekiller787

Just because your friend owns a shop doesn't mean the mounts are going to be easy to make or fit into the chassis, and just because your dad has a masters in EE doesn't mean he knows anything or can make such an engine fit into, wire, and most importantly make it run in said chassis. But if you are still convinced that putting an older heavier motor into a chassis it was never meant to fit into, there are oval pipes that you can do. Or a hood exit would be sweet

warracer

picture from fensport should answer your question, they do go under but then again, they modified the tunnel to fit both driveshaft (theirs is 4wd) and exhaust .

brutekiller787

I didn't mean to sound like a douche or anything. Its just difficult. Way more difficult that its worth. Plus the tilt that you need to have for proper oil drainage. Its like putting a 1.8t into an a6 just because its turbo.

OutToWinPAHC

If you cant solve exhaust on a car that has yet had the motor mounted it makes me wonder what your going to do when it comes to front axles

pilot4life89

Okay dude..the mounts are no problem, the wiring will take a little work, but my dad can do it, he's looked at everything and we have all the electrical schematics for te 3sgte as well as the 2001 celica. He said he can do it, and i know he can. And even if he can't, who cares, you can by the wiring conversion for i believe like 500 bucks(sp people say). The wxhaust isn't a problem, i was only asking what you guys thought the best way go do the exhaust would be. I also don't think the axles will be that difficult either. The only really challenging thing i know of for sure is the wiring obviously. Be positive, wish me luck instead of rubbing my face in the dirt, it only motivates me more to get it done. I'll post pictures when it's done! : P

Spectra1

Dont worry about some of these guys. Whenever something like this comes up on this forum a lot of people are just negative, it actually gets really old. Most people are well meaning though so I say just go for it! It will be one sweet project to post up and good luck.

peteleetzor

depends on how much time you are willing to put on the car, and the purpose of the car. Anyways good luck and hope to see the pictures soon.

phattyduck

To reiterate what others have said:

If you are going AWD, the exhaust is about the least of your worries.

If staying FWD, stick with a 1zz or 2zz. You can make more power than the chassis would ever need and not totally hack up the car.

Anyone of us here would congratulate you if you completed your project, but we are also here to give you realistic advice as to how this will go... (mainly with another car going to a junkyard that didn't need to be there and lots of wasted money)

-Charlie

pilot4life89

For now i'm staying fwd. awd sounds like a nightmare. And i already have the engine so there's no turning back! Lol. I'm not trying get a thousand horsepower or anything out of it. I just wanted a celica that would be pretty fast. I am perfectly happy with the 300+ horsepower i will easily get from the car.
But anyways, thanks for all the help and support! Hopefully it will be in and running soon! : )

Mafix

fyi you can make more power with a 2zz cosworth engine.
but if you insist on a 3s, which is fine, you will go through hell making the stock gauges work. the axles are a simple issue, i never understood why everyone gets confused on those. the mounts are not rocket science, you just need to be handy with metal and welding. the exhaust is a simple straight foward thing...if i recall you can buy 3" for that car if you search for turbo kits. then just make the front half.

and there is a swapped gt with a gen 4 3s online for sale for 10K. could save a shit ton of headache.

if your doing the exhaust, the b pipe right after the downpipe requires a spherical exhaust joint. the bolts have spring sets in it to allow the joint to flex! with this setup, no flex pipe is required!!