[How to] Remove the ABS from a ST185

celigts":2if4pmm3 said:
Flare tool you mean? How long did it take you guys to do? And how much did you remove to get to the firewall stuff while the motor was installed.
flare tool, that's it =o)))
i actually did on my 00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS without removing the engine and it took about a day
i haven't started working on Celica yet, just removed ABS computer for now.
i don't drive it. it's a project car and hopefully i'll start working on it full scale this summer

toayoztan

I'll be doing this, since I removed my ABS.

I'll try a mini write up, although it will be based on having the motor out.

Bryan

celigts

toayoztan":zpdhgjpz said:

Bryan

I'm sure you can still mention the difficulties of certain areas but otherwise I'm MOSTLY worried of re installing the lines after removing them from the box and also with using the p pipe? From the abs box.

toayoztan

celigts":2laskdm9 said:
toayoztan":2laskdm9 said:

Bryan

I'm sure you can still mention the difficulties of certain areas but otherwise I'm MOSTLY worried of re installing the lines after removing them from the box and also with using the p pipe? From the abs box.

Using the ABS P-valve should be ok if your ABS was originally working. If the ABS wasn't working, then I would definitely get the valve checked out.

Bryan

celigts

Nope the abs works. Just disagree with it working better then manually using the brakes. It's just come in the way stopping on ice and anything but highway lol.

toayoztan

celigts":33w5leow said:
Nope the abs works. Just disagree with it working better then manually using the brakes. It's just come in the way stopping on ice and anything but highway lol.

Yeah our ABS is archaic and I just don't like the way it operates or feels when I drive the alltrac. That's why I ripped it out and will be using the ABS p-valve to replace the one on the firewall.

Bryan

celigts

PLEASE! Take pics of the valve on the brick and how it's assembled to the lines in the end.

Is the p-valve on the brick replacing the stock p-valve or what's the point in replacing? Sorry .. I'm a little slow at most DIY stuff haha

darthripley

Honestly, I rarely say what I'm about to say, but your statements & questions tell me you haven't thoroughly read what I have written.
Please read through the first post on this thread - there is a ton of info already there.

You need a different p-valve as the ABS brick will be removed from the equation, therefore completely changing the whole set up. There's a reason Non-ABS setups had a different p-valve.

celigts

darthripley":1tu03p9i said:
Honestly, I rarely say what I'm about to say, but your statements & questions tell me you haven't thoroughly read what I have written.
Please read through the first post on this thread - there is a ton of info already there.

You need a different p-valve as the ABS brick will be removed from the equation, therefore completely changing the whole set up. There's a reason Non-ABS setups had a different p-valve.

Yea I don't understand the write ups all the time :/ just seem to blur everything when I read. Not a reader so that's my downfall about doing stuff I can't have someone help me with.

I understood that you can use the use p-valve from the abs brick in place of the stock one...

sMARTINside

Don't forget that you can also replace the valve by an adjustable aftermarket one that is brand new for under 100$. I did this using this valve. It made the brakes very adjustable and FUN to drive. I never had a vehicle that brakes that good. I was so pleased with the results that I did the same thing on my racing Tercel, last year.

Wilwood #260-11179
http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderProd.aspx?itemno=260-11179
260-11179-lg.jpg

toayoztan

sMARTINside":28jfavme said:
Don't forget that you can also replace the valve by an adjustable aftermarket one that is brand new for under 100$. I did this using this valve. It made the brakes very adjustable and FUN to drive. I never had a vehicle that brakes that good. I was so pleased with the results that I did the same thing on my racing Tercel, last year.

Wilwood #260-11179
http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderProd.aspx?itemno=260-11179
260-11179-lg.jpg

How much did you adjust to the rear and front, with what brake set up in the rear and front?

I plan to run all stock for now, but eventually BBK up front with stock rear.

Bryan

sMARTINside

This valve can adjust from 0% to 57% to the rear wheels. I can't tell you how it's adjusted right now on my Celica. It's a matter of feeling, trying to find the sweet spot, but I like more in the rear than the stock valve does. I am running stock brake size all around. I my Tercel, I installed it inboard so I can play with the proportion while I am racing (saves pit stops! :D ).

darthripley

celigts":3kqhrvlf said:
Yea I don't understand the write ups all the time :/ just seem to blur everything when I read. Not a reader so that's my downfall about doing stuff I can't have someone help me with.

I understood that you can use the use p-valve from the abs brick in place of the stock one...

Sorry didn't mean to come down on you. I read a lot & that's how I understand things best, but not everyone learns the same way.

When we did the removal, the write-up that was exisiting had no pics & we were completely on our own as far as how to do it, what parts were needed etc. so even if it doesn't make total sense to you right now it's a whole lot better than what was here to begin with.

Bryan will add more to the how-to with more pics & also with the wiring removal from the loom as well.

celigts

It's alright man. It's just my dd so I just wanted more detail or something. The job scares me lol that's all but I do wanna delete it. I'm still the only known frequent dd Winnipeg 5th gen ALLTRAC. Stubble may be driving his now again tho

toayoztan

celigts":1gaf72f7 said:
It's alright man. It's just my dd so I just wanted more detail or something. The job scares me lol that's all but I do wanna delete it. I'm still the only known frequent dd Winnipeg 5th gen ALLTRAC. Stubble may be driving his now again tho

DarthRipley is a "she" :wink:

Bryan

darthripley

Thanks Bryan :)

I'm pretty used to getting called man or dude since there are so few women interested in cars, much less working on their own cars & on car forums in general.
It used to kind of piss me off but it doesn't anymore since I've been on one forum or another since '99.
I am an Alltrac Goddess & also the one & only female Mod here. I work alongside my husband on all our cars.
Nice to meet you :)