[How to] Remove the ABS from a ST185

Write ups and tutorials for maintenance and modifications.

Re: [How to] Remove the ABS from a ST185

Postby celigts » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:33 pm

It's alright man. It's just my dd so I just wanted more detail or something. The job scares me lol that's all but I do wanna delete it. I'm still the only known frequent dd Winnipeg 5th gen ALLTRAC. Stubble may be driving his now again tho
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
91 Celica Alltrac - Parts pile pending instal :P
3SGTE project motor very slow
Intake/Heat shield project slowly moving
Winnipegs respected TTI forum. join and love the community will welcome you with open arms and legs ? http://toptierimports.com/
User avatar
celigts
Established Member
 
Posts: 1660
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:03 pm

Re: [How to] Remove the ABS from a ST185

Postby toayoztan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:45 pm

celigts wrote:It's alright man. It's just my dd so I just wanted more detail or something. The job scares me lol that's all but I do wanna delete it. I'm still the only known frequent dd Winnipeg 5th gen ALLTRAC. Stubble may be driving his now again tho


DarthRipley is a "she" :wink:

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1993 Alltrac - http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=37466
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
User avatar
toayoztan
GTFour God
 
Posts: 6734
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:51 am
Location: Oklahoma

1993 Toyota Celica

Re: [How to] Remove the ABS from a ST185

Postby celigts » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:15 pm

:O lol Oops
91 Celica Alltrac - Parts pile pending instal :P
3SGTE project motor very slow
Intake/Heat shield project slowly moving
Winnipegs respected TTI forum. join and love the community will welcome you with open arms and legs ? http://toptierimports.com/
User avatar
celigts
Established Member
 
Posts: 1660
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:03 pm

Re: [How to] Remove the ABS from a ST185

Postby darthripley » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks Bryan :)

I'm pretty used to getting called man or dude since there are so few women interested in cars, much less working on their own cars & on car forums in general.
It used to kind of piss me off but it doesn't anymore since I've been on one forum or another since '99.
I am an Alltrac Goddess & also the one & only female Mod here. I work alongside my husband on all our cars.
Nice to meet you :)
Image
86 RN66 Hilux 4x4 Turbo Truck "Falcon" 22RTE
87 AW11 MR2 "Super 2" 4AGZE
90 ST185 Celica AllTrac "Vadar" 3SGTE
99 SXV20 Camry "Maul" 5SFE
Female Moderator
User avatar
darthripley
All Trac Goddess
 
Posts: 4110
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:09 pm
Location: dallas, tx

Re: [How to] Remove the ABS from a ST185

Postby toayoztan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:40 am

Eff...

Just when I thought I was ready, I realized I don't have a 3-way valve.

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1993 Alltrac - http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=37466
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
User avatar
toayoztan
GTFour God
 
Posts: 6734
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:51 am
Location: Oklahoma

1993 Toyota Celica

Re: [How to] Remove the ABS from a ST185

Postby darthripley » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:07 am

Bryan - Whenever you're ready feel free to update, add more pics, add the wiring removal to the How To so we can get it as complete as possible.
Image
86 RN66 Hilux 4x4 Turbo Truck "Falcon" 22RTE
87 AW11 MR2 "Super 2" 4AGZE
90 ST185 Celica AllTrac "Vadar" 3SGTE
99 SXV20 Camry "Maul" 5SFE
Female Moderator
User avatar
darthripley
All Trac Goddess
 
Posts: 4110
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:09 pm
Location: dallas, tx

Re: [How to] Remove the ABS from a ST185

Postby toayoztan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:12 am

Will do!

As I will be making my own lines with the AGS NiCopp lines, I think adding to the existing write-up will make this a comprehensive How-To.

What sucks is I doubt Toyota carries the 3-way valve on hand...it's only 13 bucks, but I hate waiting a week for it to ship in. I may just pick one up from the junk yard...

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1993 Alltrac - http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=37466
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
User avatar
toayoztan
GTFour God
 
Posts: 6734
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:51 am
Location: Oklahoma

1993 Toyota Celica

Re: [How to] Remove the ABS from a ST185

Postby darthripley » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:25 am

I think we got ours from the junkyard too. Just give it a good clean with brake cleaner & it's ok to use.
Image
86 RN66 Hilux 4x4 Turbo Truck "Falcon" 22RTE
87 AW11 MR2 "Super 2" 4AGZE
90 ST185 Celica AllTrac "Vadar" 3SGTE
99 SXV20 Camry "Maul" 5SFE
Female Moderator
User avatar
darthripley
All Trac Goddess
 
Posts: 4110
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:09 pm
Location: dallas, tx

Re: [How to] Remove the ABS from a ST185

Postby toayoztan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:33 am

I just wanted to give a heads up to you all for clarification.

The part number for the P-Valve on the ABS unit/brick is NOT the same as the non-ABS P-Valve located on the firewall.

The first 5 digits are the same, but actually looking up the part numbers and entering them into 1sttoyotaparts.com they come out to be different parts with two different prices.

I'm not sure what to conclude, but I can only be safe and assume these are not the same parts. Therefore, getting a non-ABS P-Valve, new or used, is going to be your best bet.

As stated, your other options are using the ABS P-Valve anyway, or going with an aftermarket piece like an adjustable Wilwood.

I am going to hopefully find a 3-way at the junkyard. If I can't find a non-ABS car, I'll just get an adjustable wilwood and a brand new OEM 3-way (they are cheap).

Here's a pic to illustrate.

Image

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1993 Alltrac - http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=37466
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
User avatar
toayoztan
GTFour God
 
Posts: 6734
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:51 am
Location: Oklahoma

1993 Toyota Celica

Re: [How to] Remove the ABS from a ST185

Postby Meenya » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:46 pm

Here is what I did and it works:
There are 2 exits from master. Front top exit goes to a T which splits to front brakes.
Side exit goes to Wilwood adjustable and then to T (where P valve used to be) and splits to rear brakes.

I've tried to use non ABS P valve toyota but not celica and it didn't work.
So if you guys do go P valve route, you should get the Celica specific part.
Mike

93 Turbo 4WD
91 GTFour RC
07 R6
User avatar
Meenya
Club Member
 
Posts: 147
Images: 19
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:07 pm
Location: Ontario

Re: [How to] Remove the ABS from a ST185

Postby toayoztan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:45 pm

Meenya wrote:Here is what I did and it works:
There are 2 exits from master. Front top exit goes to a T which splits to front brakes.
Side exit goes to Wilwood adjustable and then to T (where P valve used to be) and splits to rear brakes.

I've tried to use non ABS P valve toyota but not celica and it didn't work.
So if you guys do go P valve route, you should get the Celica specific part.


I'm not sure exactly how it's all set up, or even what goes on in the pvalve. So correct me if I'm wrong!

The way the non-ABS is set up is that there appears to be two lines coming out of the master that feed INTO the pvalve. One of the lines, however, T's off to feed directly to the driver front brake without going through the pvalve.

At the pvalve, there are three other lines. One goes to the passenger front brake. The other two go to both rear brakes.

If we did the setup you did above, there are no issues with changing up the bias on anything regarding the front brakes?

I am not sure exactly what goes on in the pvalve, if there are just holes and tunnels, or actualy hardware with spring rates, etc. to adjust the bias of front/rear or even left/right (i know this sounds ridiculous, but never know i guess lol).

For the price of a new oem celica non-abs pvalve, I may as well get the wilwood.

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1993 Alltrac - http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=37466
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
User avatar
toayoztan
GTFour God
 
Posts: 6734
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:51 am
Location: Oklahoma

1993 Toyota Celica

Re: [How to] Remove the ABS from a ST185

Postby Meenya » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:39 pm

toayoztan wrote:
Meenya wrote:Here is what I did and it works:
There are 2 exits from master. Front top exit goes to a T which splits to front brakes.
Side exit goes to Wilwood adjustable and then to T (where P valve used to be) and splits to rear brakes.

I've tried to use non ABS P valve toyota but not celica and it didn't work.
So if you guys do go P valve route, you should get the Celica specific part.


I'm not sure exactly how it's all set up, or even what goes on in the pvalve. So correct me if I'm wrong!

The way the non-ABS is set up is that there appears to be two lines coming out of the master that feed INTO the pvalve. One of the lines, however, T's off to feed directly to the driver front brake without going through the pvalve.

At the pvalve, there are three other lines. One goes to the passenger front brake. The other two go to both rear brakes.

If we did the setup you did above, there are no issues with changing up the bias on anything regarding the front brakes?

I am not sure exactly what goes on in the pvalve, if there are just holes and tunnels, or actualy hardware with spring rates, etc. to adjust the bias of front/rear or even left/right (i know this sounds ridiculous, but never know i guess lol).

For the price of a new oem celica non-abs pvalve, I may as well get the wilwood.

Bryan


Bryan,

If you or anyone else is removing ABS and will be upgrading the brakes, I think adjustable P valve is a good idea at least this is my opinion.
This is what I have Wilwood (260-8419) might be outdated part as I did it like 8 years ago. There is also Tilton which I believe a bit more expensive but they had metric version (makes it a bit easier) but it was on back order so I settled with wilwood.

As per your description, which is correct I have also attached a picture of the lines (unfortunately RHD so might be a bit confusing)
0b0a6b9d6e34281d7c16cb1e4f8d5488.png


In OEM set up as can be seen above there is a T adaptor fitting and P valve. In my set up there are 3 adaptor fittings. T adaptor (OEM), another T adaptor (Toyota) to split supply to rear brakes and adaptor fitting (Toyota) to connect OEM front lines that were connected through P valve before. So instead of 1 P valve as per OEM set up, I have 2 adaptors one is 3 way and one is 2 way.
The Wilwood P valve is inline before T adaptor which splits the rear right and left brakes adjusted to decrease pressure to rear brakes to avoid locking up of rear brakes before the front ones under hard or sudden braking.
The 2 way adaptor that connects 2 front lines could be eliminated from my set up by using the flexible brake lines you have asked for feedback on the forum, in other words you could create a line that would go directly to the 1st original T adaptor fitting by the master.

Hope that helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

93 Turbo 4WD
91 GTFour RC
07 R6
User avatar
Meenya
Club Member
 
Posts: 147
Images: 19
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:07 pm
Location: Ontario

Re: [How to] Remove the ABS from a ST185

Postby Smaay » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:39 pm

does anyone know if i can use the P valve and T from a 6th gen Celica ST? I have access to every part. will the lines work too if I tweak them a little bit?
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE
90 Celica All-Trac 3S-GTE
97 Supra 2JZ-GTE
97 Celica GT 3MZ/1MZ hybrid
Smaay
Club Member
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:55 pm
Location: Palmdale, CA

Re: [How to] Remove the ABS from a ST185

Postby Smaay » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:06 am

Here is the 6th gen, I pulled the engine out today, It looks like I can use these parts.

Image

Image

Image
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE
90 Celica All-Trac 3S-GTE
97 Supra 2JZ-GTE
97 Celica GT 3MZ/1MZ hybrid
Smaay
Club Member
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:55 pm
Location: Palmdale, CA

Re: [How to] Remove the ABS from a ST185

Postby underscore » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:57 pm

Has anyone done this on a RHD car? Looking at the diagrams some of the stuff may be different for a RHD car.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3792
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:29 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC

PreviousNext

Return to How To

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron