Door Plastic behind door panel...replace or remove?

toayoztan

For the 185, anyone that's removed their's probably has either a dusty nasty one or a relatively clean intact one.

I removed it, along with the glue/tar that held it in place to the door when I stripped the car down for painting.

I'm about to assemble the rest of the door back in with the speaker/door handle/lock/door panel.

I'm debating of cutting a piece of plastic sheet and gluing it back on with butyl tape or something similar...or just leaving it off.

Personally, I'd rather leave it off, but aside from the obvious, any good reason to keep this on? What have you all done?

EDIT: Well a quick search yielded that on the older cars, the plastic acted as a vapor barrier to protect the door panel from moisture, so you don't get that old damp car smell too. Is this a problem on our alltracs still? Just not sure if it's really necessary and if it was put on the car b/c it's something standard automakers do.

Bryan

toayoztan

Here's a little write up for a VW car.

They use 4 mil (seems to be the common consensus online) plastic sheeting (can find it at ace or other store where they sell paint) and paper-tack or blu-tack to secure it.

I was wanting something I could easily remove (not too easily of course where it wouldn't stay or stick) and not leave a mess.

What do you think?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ ... reId=10051

Bryan

GT4_DRED

I would highly recommend replacing it. I've used the transparent shower liner (you heard right) or plastic sheets used when painting indoors. As far as keeping it on; duct tape works ok, but mirror mastic (used to hold mirrors to drywall) works/looks/feels just like what was originally there. HTH :)

toayoztan

Yeah I went with 4 mil roll at home depot and used butyl tape/3m window weld in a roll. Same stuff to mount the rear quarter windows. Seemed to work great and seems like the OEM stuff.

I have pics I'll need to post. It was a fairly simple job.

Bryan

phattyduck

Where did you find the butyl tape? Auto parts store or Home Improvement store? I gotta re-seal my quarter windows...

-Charlie

toayoztan

phattyduck":2p4mld13 said:
Where did you find the butyl tape? Auto parts store or Home Improvement store? I gotta re-seal my quarter windows...

-Charlie

Go to auto parts store, oreilly, pepboys, autozone, advance auto...and ask for 3m window weld tape or butyl tape (used for sealing windows or subwoofers). Don't get the stuff in the tube...get the stuff in a round tape roll.

Bryan

phattyduck

toayoztan":2pbusjiy said:
phattyduck":2pbusjiy said:

-Charlie

Go to auto parts store, oreilly, pepboys, autozone, advance auto...and ask for 3m window weld tape or butyl tape (used for sealing windows or subwoofers). Don't get the stuff in the tube...get the stuff in a round tape roll.

Bryan
Cool. Never knew you could get the butyl tape rolls at the local parts store. I only use the tube when I need to do a motor mount that doesn't have a good poly option otherwise. :wink:

-Charlie