Father & Son's 185

peteleetzor

AWsome awsome trac,

on a quick question, how did you remove the door switch? is it just that bolt on the bottom of the switch? also do you have the part number for it, my is broken as well :cry:

toayoztan

You just remove the rubber from the bottom part, just peel it back, and you'll see a single bolt. That's it.

Looking good there though man! Too bad it doesn't run right now.

If you don't want to take the motor out, check the cam timing by removing the valve cover (if you have stock cams). There will be match marks on the cams that'll line up with the head. If not, remove the valve cover and top timing cover to check. The cams should line up with the head match marks when the crank is on ZERO.

For the distributor, just put it smack in the middle. It'll get you going for the car to actually turn over and fire.

If it's not firing but is turning, check to be sure the fuel pump is working...pull the EFI fuse. Pull the fuel return (easy to remove as it's just a rubber hose over a metal line) and see if any fuel is coming out from cranking. Or you can also jump the FP terminals to bypass the relay to check fuel pump operation.

Check for spark...start at the plugs and go backwards to the igniter.

Bryan

MWP

:bangshead:
You guys all treat POR15 as if its some miracle paint. Its not!

Under the car, itll suffer from stone chips, just like any other chassis paint.
If it gets chipped, it wont protect from rust any more.

Powder coating is FAR better!

toayoztan

MWP":2zu5h93c said:
:bangshead:
You guys all treat POR15 as if its some miracle paint. Its not!

Under the car, itll suffer from stone chips, just like any other chassis paint.
If it gets chipped, it wont protect from rust any more.

Powder coating is FAR better!

Personally I've heard and had more good experience with it than bad. Por15 has been on my bros datsun for 2 years where the front subframe is. It's been exposed to all weather and oil and coolant. No issues and looks good still. I do agree powercoat is good, that's why I coat my own parts where I can and like but I don't think por15 is awful either when applied correctly.

I've noticed you're one of the very few on here that has been very adamant in making it known how much you despise por15. Do you have any pics? I'm not questioning you, just wanting to see what you've experienced.

And for powder coating, it isn't flawless either. Factors such as the powder used, proper prep, proper mil thickness, and skill of the coater can give an awesome result or just plain shitty coating. With any coating, proper prep goes a long way.

Por15 does make a chassis black paint top coat for uv protection for anyone interested.

Bryan

MWP

toayoztan":3ipyar8a said:
I've noticed you're one of the very few on here that has been very adamant in making it known how much you despise por15. Do you have any pics? I'm not questioning you, just wanting to see what you've experienced.

I dont have any photos of it in bad shape. Ill take some next time im working on those parts again.
Ive been using POR15 on cars for ~8yrs now.

Powdercoating wins because of its thickness & its fairly soft.
POR15 has a tendency to chip/flake off from an impact, where powder coat will survive from the same hit.

POR15 does make a chassis black paint top coat for uv protection for anyone interested.

I dont remember hearing of anyone using POR15, then tie-coat and a top coat on the types of parts it gets used on here (under car).

Overtriped

Nice car man, mine is black as well. I had those same wheels on my tercel and I liked Em. If you want more exterior mods get the RC hood and front clip. I like all the work you did with the bushings nice
Job keep it up!!

toayoztan

MWP":2vr7ewoq said:
toayoztan":2vr7ewoq said:

I dont have any photos of it in bad shape. Ill take some next time im working on those parts again.
Ive been using POR15 on cars for ~8yrs now.

Powdercoating wins because of its thickness & its fairly soft.
POR15 has a tendency to chip/flake off from an impact, where powder coat will survive from the same hit.

POR15 does make a chassis black paint top coat for uv protection for anyone interested.

I dont remember hearing of anyone using POR15, then tie-coat and a top coat on the types of parts it gets used on here (under car).

And what's your point? No one, including myself said it's been done. Just said it's available.

Powder coat does win....again, if done right, which I've seen plenty of crap jobs. But no need to reiterate that point.

Bryan

celi_wabbit

If I ever use POR 15 under the car, I would probably also rhino line it! can never be too safe. :evil: These cars rust very easy.

AFCor

I've used POR-15 on a friends Jeep and it holds up very well. He did apply a top coat inside the wheel well, but not to the bottom. It has a bit of elasticity to it which is nice. Plus it is simple to apply and has rust inhibitors. The biggest factor was cost. For me and my project this works best.

I also found out what was wrong with the car. Since the battery died and it's snowing, I had to remove it and charge it inside. I guess when I did that some wires from the fuse box came loose. :doh: That was it. I attached them and it fired right up. Thank goodness that was it! I was about to replace a bunch of stuff. My wife punched me in the arm.

-Anthony

801Alltrac

lol my lady would of done the same maybe kick me in the shin lol i love it when its a quit fix
cant wait to have a meet up with alltrac's

AFCor

Thanks guys. I like the car, but I swear it hates me or something. Every time I fix something, another thing breaks. When I got it running, the turn signal stopped working. :roll: It was an easy fix, but come on...

Every once in a while I find something pretty neat that I think would help out with our projects. I'm sure somebody has heard of this stuff before.

http://www.agscompany.com/automotive/br ... /nicopp/11

I know a lot of us do custom break and fuel jobs and this is a great product to use. Now this isn't the cheap green stuff (though it still doesn't cost very much). I've actually held it and it seems like it would work much better than standard SS.

AFCor

I want to say hello to everyone and that I'm not dead. As many of the family men on here can attest to, sometimes life makes you take a break. The last few years have been interesting. We've had new additions to our family (5 now. All boys), a deployment to Afghanistan, and now I'm going back to school to finish my degree. My goal is to go to medical school and be a pediatrician. It's always been a dream of mine and I made the decision last year that I'm going to do it. I still have the alltrac tucked away safely in my garage. My wife loves me, but I think she was secretly hoping I would sell it. I still have all the parts and what-not stockpiled to make it a great project. My oldest is eight so its the perfect age to work together. It's going to be a blast. It will be a slower project and I'll post when I can. My goals are to keep it simple, modernize where I can, and 400hp at the flywheel. I figure thats the line where people say "Wow!", but it's not too crazy. Looking at many other projects the price seems to get a little too high for me after that. 400hp seems reasonable.
Everyone's projects are looking great!

RedCelicaTRD

I recommend you sell your car. With 5 boys you should start stockpiling food for when they hit their teenage years.

Does your car run? Trevor has been bugging me to get my car running so he and I can both go down to RMR. I think he'd pee himself if three AllTracs went to RMR at the same time!

UtahSleeper

RedCelicaTRD":c0dw9moo said:
I recommend you sell your car. With 5 boys you should start stockpiling food for when they hit their teenage years.

Does your car run? Trevor has been bugging me to get my car running so he and I can both go down to RMR. I think he'd pee himself if three AllTracs went to RMR at the same time!

What would he do with 4? Or do you only mean 185's? Love Trevor's car, if its the one I'm thinking.

AFCor

RedCelicaTRD":15xnz6us said:

Ha! All the more reason for me to get this thing going!
Yes it runs, but...
Ok so the guy I bought it from did "rally" and didn't take good care of it so the body has some dents and dings. The car runs and drives fine and it has a lot of parts and pieces in great shape that are hard to find. My intentions were to restore it and make it nice (over the life of the car). But, the more I dig into it the harder I see that that is going to become. What I would like to do is take all the good working parts out of the interior etc. and make it a fun rallycross car. I hate to sound like a defeatist, but at it's heart that's what's best for it. Trust me, my boys and I are going to have some fun with it, but this way I don't have to worry about the bodywork and I can keep the parts in storage until I get a 185 in better condition. Right now this will be a fun learning experience.