What kind of manifold is this?

kn0wledge185

Went over to a friend's house and saw this manifold.......

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361135331578.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361135331578.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,832

jaydog82

they are part of the anti lag system that is controlled by the computer, they are disabled from the factory.

jaydog82

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37224
Anti-Lag

The Group A was the first production car I know of with anti-lag standard, although again not operational. The system uses an ECU signal to switch two VSV's on the back of the block which provide vacuum (via a canister) to the special bypass valve fitted right beside the entrance to the IC. This heavy duty metal valve has a poppet valve which when opened directs some of the air (which usually all goes through the BOV) down four metal tubes into the exhaust manifold. A special manifold has a hole just after each exhaust port. A small heatshield sits between the manifold and the intercooler.

How do you make it work? You don't.

Anti-lag is *very* hard on turbos due to the shockwaves and high temperatures produced. Unless you have a rally team budget, forget it.

Here is some of what you need to do to activate it. My bypass valve seems to be jammed shut, maybe it has an internal spacer to stop it opening. The fittings connecting the pipes to the manifold are also not drilled though. With those aspects fixed the system will mechanically work. The VSV's are wired to the ECU, however an aftermarket ECU is needed to apply 12V to make them work. I'm guessing that (like most systems) the ECU retards the timing while continuing fuel injection. The mixture burns in the manifold, keeping the turbo spinning. This is very harsh on the system, therefore the pipes are just to supply cool air to keep temperatures down (conjecture!).
from http://gtfour.supras.org.nz/homologation.htm

gearhead313

If you sat down with some basic knowledge of the system, its not hard to get it working. A standalone actuation is necessary, forget about how cool toyota was using its ecu to do it. I've seen one car on the street with it and it was thee most annoying thing ever. It is definitely a longevity killer!

Hic

Yes, but that stock manifold will die in matter of minutes.
Wrc cars had inconel manifold. Not iron.