The Gen 3.5 swap

l0ch0w

Subframe is in, installed a new hood latch cable, cleaned up the e-brake cables, reinstalled a few bits on the fire-wall, bought a whiteline rear sway bar, a new A/C condenser, and my new coils (yes 4 of them) came in (pictured below)

imag0066xl.jpg

imag0067uc.jpg

l0ch0w

PS Pump Rebuilt!

imag0072c.jpg

More pictures tonight, I have fixed my engine mount dilemma. Rear end is about complete, two of the spherical bushings when I was freezing/heating them in didn't go in all the way, so I'm searching for an appropriate sized press to finish putting them in before I can finish. Anyone got any good ideas? I really don't wanna dig through Toyota SPX to spend $150 for a stupid spherical bushing press...

Meenya

l0ch0w":39afd5m7 said:
PS Pump Rebuilt!

imag0072c.jpg

More pictures tonight, I have fixed my engine mount dilemma. Rear end is about complete, two of the spherical bushings when I was freezing/heating them in didn't go in all the way, so I'm searching for an appropriate sized press to finish putting them in before I can finish. Anyone got any good ideas? I really don't wanna dig through Toyota SPX to spend $150 for a stupid spherical bushing press...

This link http://www.planetcampbell.us/SphericalBearingReplacement.html has some good notes and tips. One of those days I'll be doing it myself.

l0ch0w

I tore up one bearing already trying it that way and had to buy another, turns out that sockets have a nice little tendancy to slip and tear the rubber boot. I may head to ACE hardware tomorrow to try and find a better fitting socket, but my hopes arent high.

l0ch0w

Yep, 3 Jaw also, Ive just got to find a socket i guess that doesnt tear them up. I got 2 of the 4 in all the way by heating up the spindle and freezing the spherical bearing then tapping them in. Worked like a charm except I wasnt fast enough with two of them...

l0ch0w

Relocating the PS reservoir too... not sure why they didnt put it here from the start tbh... I have to make an ACE hardware run for some sheet metal screws to attach it... hence the duct tape.

dsc0057pz.jpg

l0ch0w

Turns out we had the springs replaced two years ago and the retard installing them put in two that were mismatched and the wrong strength. It wore out the door unevenly as well as overworked the lifting mechanism. A few months back the lift motor broke, we replaced it, then this happened...

GT4_DRED

l0ch0w":3o03uzqx said:
I tore up one bearing already trying it that way and had to buy another, turns out that sockets have a nice little tendancy to slip and tear the rubber boot. I may head to ACE hardware tomorrow to try and find a better fitting socket, but my hopes arent high.

Maybe an impact socket, which without the plating is less likely to slip; maybe even cut the end off so it sits flat? Appropriate sized Shed-10 pipe? The picture in the link looks like the socket could possibly rotate as the puller is being tightened. I shaped and center punched some 1/4" steel stock to sit over the hole and apply pressure to that. Just some thoughts of the top of my head.

l0ch0w

I got it figured out... A 1 1/16th 12 point socket fits best...

Plus I figured out how to remove and install the rubber bush without damaging it...

GT4_DRED

l0ch0w":kq1n3zgs said:
I got it figured out... A 1 1/16th 12 point socket fits best...

Plus I figured out how to remove and install the rubber bush without damaging it...
Cool.. Did you ever get a chance to finish the pwr steering reservoir? Curious to see how it came out as I'm trying to figure out a solution for the 165s as well.

l0ch0w

Finished installing the rear sub frame and Whiteline adjustable sway bar! Still have the trailing arms to put in and the subframe x-member.

dsc0008qd.jpg

dsc0007ek.jpg

dsc0009hgu.jpg

Engine Mount Fixed, no yucky hole in my gen 4 lower t-belt cover :)'

dsc0013tf.jpg

dsc0016xu.jpg

I have a cool looking starter motor now:

dsc0020xr.jpg

And i put some neato badging on ;)

dsc0024ar.jpg

l0ch0w

On the list of things that didnt get pictures:

-Door handles and mirrors got reinstalled
-Hood latch cable replaced
-Coil and FF sensor bracket mocked up
-Fuel tank Gaskets and screws replaced, rusty metal wire-wheeled and repainted.

l0ch0w

BADNEW5":1fnir4fj said:
Looking good. Are you going to be running stock brakes or did you buy a kit?
BBK up front. Stock for now in the rear. I'll probably fabricate my own kit for that when the time comes.