ST165 Intake

RallyMax165

The rubber that used to slip onto my compressor inlet has fallen apart completely. I need a new intake hose. I am thinking about buying this K&N Apollo Intake and just keeping what's needed from the stock intake assembly. I am wondering if anyone has learned some good things by doing this before... It looks like everyone that has built an intake has kept the heavy clunky metal box that comes off the stock box. What exactly does that piece do? I can tell it has a complex electrical connection and a baffle plate of some kind in there. I would like to know if I must keep this part when I build a new intake, or what I must do to bypass it... Also the crankcase breathes right into the intake? Is it time to build a catch can as well right now? I am willing to try some stuff and figure some things out, but if anyone has any advice or data on this matter, please tell me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261090772890

Dracov

If by "heavy clunky metal box" you mean this:

afm1.jpg

Then that's slightly required as that is the Air Flow Meter that tells the ECU how much air is coming in so it can know how much fuel to inject. There are a few ways of replacing it with more modern air metering methods, which are well documented throughout the site here. The large black plastic box it is normally bolted on to is the factory air filter box.

88gt4DE

Intake must be custom made to be correct and HAS to incorporate the air flow meter ( big hunk of metal ) Actually in the middle of doing mine now. Its easier if you have your battery relocated already but if not there are some other ways of doing it ... Havent updated it yet but my brother has a picture on his project thread ... page 4 ... viewtopic.php?f=44&t=23390&start=45

underscore

Just buy a new 45* coupler, and cut it to fit. For the filter, get the Vibrant MAF adapter, get whatever cone filter you like, and voila.

RallyMax165

underscore":26bg3m3f said:
Just buy a new 45* coupler, and cut it to fit. For the filter, get the Vibrant MAF adapter, get whatever cone filter you like, and voila.

Know where I can order a Vibrant MAF adapter?

underscore

RallyMax165":144ypdmi said:
underscore":144ypdmi said:

Know where I can order a Vibrant MAF adapter?

Anywhere that sells Vibrant parts should be able to order it. Note that for the RC you'll have to drill your own holes.

RallyMax165

underscore":2f5jinnm said:
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's the one, I've got an RC so I had to drill different holes though.

I have a drill. Thanks for the advice man, this has cleared things up quite a bit for me. I will post some pictures or the end result.

Before

[album]558[/album]

RallyMax165

Here is the 3D model of the adapter needed to mate the stock AFM to a 3" diameter intake. The port size is very near the same perimeter on both ends. I plan on making the tube out of some .120 wall tube, putting a slug in the round end to keep it's shape, then heating the other end up and coaxing it into shape with a vice and some C-clamps, then I will weld the tube and plate together, and viola! The plate will be had cut and filed smooth, I would consider looking into a short run of these through a CNC shop if there was enough interest... I post pics of the first prototype hopefully soon.
[album]607[/album][album]608[/album]

RallyMax165

Latest developments on the intake project:

[album]761[/album]

I drilled holes in a Spectre AFM adapter plate that I found at Oreilly's to get the new K&N Apollo air cleaner on. I need some silicone 2.75-3" adapters and it should seal up pretty well. The unfortunate thing about this set up is that the power wire from the starter sometimes will arc to the AFM housing and it runs weird, that can't be good for the poor AFM... Once I get pre-compressor stuff sorted out, I have been looking into getting a recirculation valve and plumbing it in to blow pressure before intercooler to after AFM. If anyone has actually done this before, I'd be interested to hear how it went.

underscore

I'd suggest protecting the AFM with something, shorting out that wire will be bad for the wire and the battery as well.