ST215 Clutch Problems

3spowerhouse

My ST185 has a 4th gen ST215 swap, the motor came with the original manual box and had the clutch changed to an exedy stock replacement, after a few short drives the clutch would smell really bad until eventually it stopped working entirely, it was later discovered the brakes were binding up(which could have contributed to the clutch burning), so that was fixed and I then replaced the clutch with an ACT disc and Exedy pressure plate, but now i'm smelling the clutch burning yet again. What can be causing this issue? is there a difference in clutches with the 4th gen that I should know about? a different flywheel perhaps?

GT4_DRED

Are you putting a clutch assembly for a st185 in it or is this something custom that both manufacturers did for you?

3spowerhouse

Both disc and pressure plate are st185 items, the flywheel is st215, upon brief inspection it appears to be the same as any other 3sgte flywheel, not sure if I'm missing anything.

lumbercis

Possibly bad installation or something in the trans was damaged when you got it.

I'm running an Exedy twin plate for an ST185 in my ST215 manual with no noticeable problems. The trans itself is still an E150f although a later revision.

3spowerhouse

I was the one who did the job this time around, I''m certain it isn't an installation issue. I was able to confirm that the part #'"s on the st215 flywheel and all other 3sgte flywheels are the same so that rules that out as a possible problem.

lumbercis

Was your pedal free play adjusted? Did you use an OEM throwout bearing? You sure it's a good idea to mix and match a disk/pressure plate from different manufacturers? It sounds like the clutch isn't engaging/disengaging fully. And if it's not installation it has to be a parts issue.

3spowerhouse

Was your pedal free play adjusted?- nope but I think I'll take a look at that asap, i believe it may have been tampered with.
Did you use an OEM throwout bearing?- yes, new OEM realeasing bearing
-As far as mix and matching with the clutch and pressure plate I don't think it should cause the problem I've been having they"re all built to work on the same platform. I've see it done all the time without hiccup.
Thanks for all the input! Much valued

phattyduck

I can't remember... is the 3s-gte flywheel stepped? Has it been machined? maybe the friction surface has the wrong offset to the pressure plate mounting surface.

-Charlie

3spowerhouse

I didn't have the flywheel machined but if i do end up having to take the gearbox off again i'll definitely have it done this time around.