Side Project 165

2of81

Thought I would post up some pictures of what I have been working on for a friend to make a little money to put into my All-Trac. This is an engine out of a 165 with a 185 swap installed already. The original owner and his dad pulled the engine to do a timing belt, water pump and clutch came apart, so they also pulled the trans. When they finally threw their hands in the air they brought a pickup load of bits and pieces to me and asked if I would be interested in getting them back on the road for a lil cash. This thing was a visual nightmare! They spraypainted it various colors, hoses, transmission engine and all were silver, blue and red, it was bad, wish I would have taken some pictures! It was just like a stolen bicycle from a teenager, but I don't think it was the kid that did this.

Being an All-Trac I wanted to do this engine what it deserved, done right, looking clean and mean. I spent a lot of extra time disassembling everything and soaking the bolts and brackets in carb cleaner to pull the paint off and painting the block and brackets back to black with some engine paint. The valvecover I pulled and masked off the letters TOYOTA so they wouldn't get painted and sprayed it wrinkle black. The intake manifold I stripped off all the silver on it also and took a 3M wheel to knock down the casting line on the back of the plenum so it looks more rounded and I also gave it a shot of wrinkle black.

I spent time using up all of the gasket kit from Toyota they provided me and got everything resealed, installed a new OEM water pump and would get parts every once in a while. I finally put the engine and transmission together this last week and have been flying on getting it all together. I'm going to make sure they have all the parts they need before they can bring the car into the shop because they are slow at getting parts and I don't want to tie up another bay in a business that isn't mine.

Again I wish I had some before pics, but here is how she looks now.
48819978.jpg

98016043.jpg

48345073.jpg

wait wait and wait for them to get me parts, like trans/engine bolts they lost hense the dusty engine below.

finally got them and time away from work to assemble further, pics of the harness install
50725219.jpg

50780174.jpg

10777055.jpg

67141726.jpg

31442007.jpg

58221031.jpg

and thats wrapping up my 4 hours of time this last saturday getting that far

This is today with it mostly done, I may have to take some steps backwards as I still have to install another distributor and a motor mount and will have a couple things to piece together once it's back in the car.
58221031.jpg

67317113.jpg

67919483.jpg

I had to touch up a couple spots on the grill, reason for the wet spots.

56921633.jpg

And with my Red 93 in the background.... it's next to go under the knife.

97JZA80

Dam that right there is pretty...I wasnt sure I was actually looking at an ALLTRAC motor...theres no oil/grease residue covering the parts.. :D Nice work..diggin the crinkle too....

2of81

The owners dad came in and was aquiring about the beige paint, and was wondering who ok'ed it. I said you want this thing done in a diesel shop, something is going to come out Cummins beige. He laughed his ass off, and I did tell him his kid ok'ed for me to do whatever I wanted.

toayoztan

This motor looks good...that wrinkle black looks a lot better than I would have imagined on the stock intake manifold.

Bryan

2of81

I took a 3M wheel and smoothed out the casting lines on the manifold before I painted it to give it a rounded look. Thanks, I also think it turned out well.

88gt4DE

2of81":3mfkjpbl said:
Thought I would post up some pictures of what I have been working on for a friend to make a little money to put into my All-Trac. This is an engine out of a 165 with a 185 swap installed already. The original owner and his dad pulled the engine to do a timing belt, water pump and clutch came apart, so they also pulled the trans. When they finally threw their hands in the air they brought a pickup load of bits and pieces to me and asked if I would be interested in getting them back on the road for a lil cash. This thing was a visual nightmare! They spraypainted it various colors, hoses, transmission engine and all were silver, blue and red, it was bad, wish I would have taken some pictures! It was just like a stolen bicycle from a teenager, but I don't think it was the kid that did this.

Being an All-Trac I wanted to do this engine what it deserved, done right, looking clean and mean. I spent a lot of extra time disassembling everything and soaking the bolts and brackets in carb cleaner to pull the paint off and painting the block and brackets back to black with some engine paint. The valvecover I pulled and masked off the letters TOYOTA so they wouldn't get painted and sprayed it wrinkle black. The intake manifold I stripped off all the silver on it also and took a 3M wheel to knock down the casting line on the back of the plenum so it looks more rounded and I also gave it a shot of wrinkle black.

I spent time using up all of the gasket kit from Toyota they provided me and got everything resealed, installed a new OEM water pump and would get parts every once in a while. I finally put the engine and transmission together this last week and have been flying on getting it all together. I'm going to make sure they have all the parts they need before they can bring the car into the shop because they are slow at getting parts and I don't want to tie up another bay in a business that isn't mine.

Again I wish I had some before pics, but here is how she looks now.
48819978.jpg

98016043.jpg

48345073.jpg

wait wait and wait for them to get me parts, like trans/engine bolts they lost hense the dusty engine below.

finally got them and time away from work to assemble further, pics of the harness install
50725219.jpg

50780174.jpg

10777055.jpg

67141726.jpg

31442007.jpg

58221031.jpg

and thats wrapping up my 4 hours of time this last saturday getting that far

This is today with it mostly done, I may have to take some steps backwards as I still have to install another distributor and a motor mount and will have a couple things to piece together once it's back in the car.
58221031.jpg

67317113.jpg

67919483.jpg

I had to touch up a couple spots on the grill, reason for the wet spots.

56921633.jpg

And with my Red 93 in the background.... it's next to go under the knife.

I was just checking out yer thread. Have been trying to figure out if the 185 right side ( pass) motor mount would fit in a 165 and I think yer pictures answered my question ...

88gt4DE

Yeah figured it out the hard way but I got it in there with some modification ... :wink:

34t8k9h.jpg