165-KISS

nw94rs

Finished the rally today, we crashed, it sucked. The car was straddling a ice berm & was getting high centered, then the front wheels caught on some snow and ripped the front of the car into a snow berm. It ripped off my bumper & broke those fancy 1/4 turns that held it on, broke my rad fan, bent my ps cooler, bent my intercooler exchanger. We managed to fix all of that on the side of the road aside from a fan we borrowed from a jeep that was working sweep.

I ended up returning the jeeps aux fan and bought an aftermarket slim fan at the local auto store. kind of an upgrade??

I got some work to do this week, but I had a good time and learned a lot about the Celica on snow. In hind sight I wish I would have unbolted my RSB (whiteline).

nw94rs

I'm getting some awful gas mileage. This last tank I tried to not go into boost at all and I got 280 miles. what are you guys getting?

I have some exhaust leaks and the portion of the exhaust immediately after the down pipe is pretty smashed. Other than that, no CELs, car pulls strong, & doesn't blow smoke. Any ideas on why I'm getting the shit mileage?

Awesome-Trac

My 88 ranges between 200-150miles depending in how I drive but then again my speedo doesn't work and I've been relying on my gps mile

nw94rs

The pump stops at around 13 gallons. I did the math and my last tank was about 22mpg. I looked at the factory specs for the car and it advertised 20-25mpg. I'm glad to learn that there's nothing wrong with my car, but a little disappointed with the mpg.

My commute is about 60 miles a day all freeway.

Shaggz00

Enjoying your thread so far!
I averaged 19ish MPG with a heavy foot. 22 sounds good, and you could probably get more if you went real light, but what's the fun in that?? haha.

UtahSleeper

Is the car using the stock ECU? I have heard that there is more power and mpg to be had with an ecu you can tune on.

nw94rs

Interesting, I have been pricing out ViPec universal V44s lately, that would be sweet if I could get some more MPGs out of it. I'm trying to get rid of the tvis, install the side draft intake manifold, injectors, mr2 turbo/manifold, & down pipe/exhaust all before this spring.

I got a new steering wheel for the car, it's a suede sparco 260mm with a 90mm dish. This is the best drivers compartment I've ever experienced. We moved the seat about 5" backwards and roughly 6" lower than where your butt would be in the factory seat. This felt great for my legs but I felt that I was slouching in my seat to reach the steering wheel (previous wheel was a sparco D-ring 240mm no dish) With this new wheel, it's perfect. After having my seat arrangement tailored to me, driving other cars is really uncomfortable & cramped. This seat setup inspires a lot of confidence & makes it easier to drive the car fast.
56A9C25D-91E9-4A9E-A914-0E325CE79FC0-6145-0000057AC40D67D4_zps1680a33b.jpg

phattyduck

The only downside to the dished wheel (for us tall guys) is that the turn signals are farther away. Better for performance driving (no windshield wipers turning on during autocrossing...), but a little annoying during traffic. I still have to figure out a good solution to bring the shifter a little closer to me.

Oh, and 22mpg sounds about right. It all depends on the cruising speed, etc. I got around that with my FWD 3s-gte swapped Camry.

-Charlie

nw94rs

Found some photos of my car from the rally. Unfortunately the photo is at a corner where the car in front of us spun out so we were cautiously rouding the corner, waiting for them to back up and get back on the road. In the third photo you can see the berm they nosed into. Hopefully some more photos pop up, showing us going a bit faster.

B84D01E9-AA32-4268-84A6-DC3948A8475B-9172-000008801725CD53_zps15c1dc45.jpg

5981BB11-2641-4A36-9773-55C894A417F0-9172-00000880091D4FA9_zps8f50fb7f.jpg

AD480906-E49D-4B8A-8D06-7F7DA2754A83-9172-000008800346D978_zps09effb7d.jpg

nw94rs

I installed a hood vent in my car & a heel up plate in my car today. The heel up plate is really nice & helps keep my right front from lazily leaning over on its side, which makes it more natural to use the gas & brake with the same foot. The next driver compartment mod I'm going to do is make the brake pedal wider, & put grip tape on it. The hood vent is from a 2 door dodge I found at the junk yard.

03B4C3FC-C946-42C0-B2E6-6E5A965E1BD4-10557-00000990616761A0_zpsb7ab9139.jpg

And I know I need to paint my car, those black bumpers are starting to get to me.

nw94rs

User red rocket on here sourced those for me. Unfortunatley while I was making the buckets for the fixed headlights one of them fell out and chipped on the lower edge, so I'll have to buy another set off of him when that car gets closer to being finished. I'll get a set for the white car too once I paint it.

And since we have some plane nerds in here, these were parked outside of a hanger I was working out of the other day. Noisy fuckers
5CEBCB80-7521-4F71-B620-BCF66FF2B417-10979-000009CCC4894F05_zpsb37b9ba6.jpg

TRDTurko

nw94rs":29k9fmpm said:
User red rocket on here sourced those for me. Unfortunatley while I was making the buckets for the fixed headlights one of them fell out and chipped on the lower edge, so I'll have to buy another set off of him when that car gets closer to being finished. I'll get a set for the white car too once I paint it.

Group buy! :D I want a couple sets as well

nw94rs

CA3D3E21-3EA0-4E72-AE0A-7E2E61BCBC5B-1986-0000013EEB5BDB3C_zpsd0c9f0d1.jpg

Picked up my new engine for the white car today. It a 2azfe out of a scion TC, it's an all alluminum 2.4l. Unfortunately this motor is a throttle by wire, so that Vipec 44 I was pricing out, now has to be the more expensive v88 model. Another downer is the plastic intake manifold but I'm not planing on boosting it so I'll live with it.

From the looks of it, the 2az doesn't have the tilt that the 3s has, & that has me a bit concerned. I'm going to mount a tranny to it this week and throw it into my mock up chassis.