transmission identification

brutekiller787

Can you identify an alltrac transmission in anyway by the outside. I got a trans for 100 but i dont know what one it is. It has cooler lines and what i think is an electric speedo. Just debating whether its worth swapping on

Corey

Electronic speedo means its a JDM transmission. Does it have the Viscous couping selector lever on the right side of the transfer case? If not, then its an ST205 E154F transmission - recommended swap because of improved syncros.

If it does, then it could be a JDM E150F (standard GT-Four ST185 tranny) or a JDM E151F (RC tranny)

brutekiller787

it does have the selector lever. is there any other external markings or anything that could help me identify it? also, never seen an electronic speedo. is it a three wire plug in the shape of a triangle, bolted to the back top of the trans very close to the shifter cable brackets?

Corey

I don't think there are any part numbers or external markings which can be used to identify the transmissions. Maybe someone else knows.
This may help

http://gtfour.supras.org.nz/gearboxpics.htm

also, never seen an electronic speedo. is it a three wire plug in the shape of a triangle, bolted to the back top of the trans very close to the shifter cable brackets?

That's right. It can be unbolted and removed from the transmission and replaced with the USDM mechanical speedo if desired.

brutekiller787

hmmm. according to that website i now think i have a regular jdm st185 trans. it looks to be a cast steel shift fork which again, according to the website, says regular one.

88gt4DE

I cannot verify this on 185's and others but on my 165 its here ....

2vkna4p.jpg

Look to the right of where the axle bolts on ...

alltracman78

brutekiller787":269wjzhd said:
it does have the selector lever. is there any other external markings or anything that could help me identify it? also, never seen an electronic speedo. is it a three wire plug in the shape of a triangle, bolted to the back top of the trans very close to the shifter cable brackets?
Triangle usually means mechanical speedo. The electronic speedos have an oval plug.
Both kinds send an electronic signal, so both have plugs.

If you have a VIN plate it's a US trans [probably, since you have a mechanical speedo].