1991 ST185 Rescue operation

ohsigmachi

OK, so I bought this car for cheap from a poor kid who was really down on his luck. Wrecked the car but either didn't have money to cover the deductible or didn't have insurance. I thought the car was way to nice to part out, so my plan is to get it back to daily drivable condition and sell it on to a good home (hopefully someone here who knows how amazing these cars are).

[album]356[/album][album]357[/album][album]358[/album][album]359[/album][album]360[/album][album]361[/album][album]362[/album][album]363[/album][album]364[/album][album]365[/album]

As you can see it is pretty banged up, but thanks to members of this forum I have started to get a lot of the parts together to get it back on the road.

Aside from the cosmetic issues it also needs a new thermostat and it has a HKS turbo time and boost controller that are installed incorrectly. There may or may not be damage to the front driver's suspension, once I get a chance to get under the car I'll try to sort that out.

CMS-GT4

If in doubt compare part numbers on toyodiy.com. I thought all the doors were the same, but part numbers would help you verify for sure.

underscore

The Alltrac door is supposed to have more reinforcement in it than the 2WD doors, but it should physically fit.

maxxhavoc

underscore":3bkqi94k said:
The Alltrac door is supposed to have more reinforcement in it than the 2WD doors, but it should physically fit.

I never looked at the inside reinforcement, but I put a GT door on my '90. Fits fine.

celigts

That quarter panel would be the biggest nightmare IMO. Unless the front is damaged to the rad brace. Might be harder then you think. We shall see :)

Good luck and kudos for bringing her back!

ohsigmachi

I'll post some picks up soon of the progress, everything forward of the windshield is repaired now (not painted but it's all there and in good order).

Biggest issue that I just started delving into is the absolute s#!t job of wiring that was done on the car, the HID swap is crap, the stereo install is crap, the turbo timer and boost control install is crap...For the life of me I can't understand why someone would go out and buy top of the line gear, and then completely half @$$ the installation job... anyway, I'm putting that to rights, then a new door and then finally that damn quarter panel...and then paint

underscore

because there's only about 5 people on the planet who know how to properly wire a bloody car...and about 10 million other idiots who think they do but just make a bloody mess of everything.

ohsigmachi

underscore , I couldn't agree more! That statement also extends to any kind of in car custom plumbing. I can't tell you how many transmission and oil coolers and aftermarket fuel system setups I've had to completely re-do!

I'm currently in the same boat on a '91 MR2 hardtop project I have, it's a JDM turbo swap that's about 8 years old, it was a proffessional swap(meaning a business was paid, not that they did a pro job), and instead of using heat shrink tubing and corrogated wire sheathes they wrapped it in gobs of electrical tape...now there is a short somewhere deep in the loom...oh joy.