1993 Alltrac conversion

TakumiRolla

So more like 10 - 15. :twisted:

No way that's happening, we wanted to do this right in the first place. The car is clean and I wish I could give you pics but for some reason the site doesn't want to let me upload the ones I took.

Apparently my dad and I were both fooled. We though that huge bump right behind the center console was for a driveshaft. I never thought it to be an exhaust channel.

I have the shop repair manuals with all the electrical stuff along with it.

Oh well then. To spend $23,000 on a converted Celica, you would have to be higher than snoop dog and they don't grow weed around where I live so...

Could we possibly add a turbo to the 5S-FE. We were planning on rebuilding it anyway.

Thanks for all the advice.

New Guy

TakumiRolla":20orcxgy said:
Could we possibly add a turbo to the 5S-FE. We were planning on rebuilding it anyway.

Yup. 5S-FTE is quite common- CelicaTech would be better for reading about that, though. Done right, you can even do it fairly cheaply. A 3S-GTE swap is also well within your stated budget if you decide to go that route.

I'm a welder by trade and own a twin set of S-platform vehicles (SV21 and SV25) and can tell you the rear floor plans are quite different. The passenger footwell has a bulge to clear the transfer case, and the driveshaft tunnel is broader to clear the driveshaft in addition to the exhaust and hydraulic lines.

toayoztan

If you still want an awd turbo vechicle (aka alltrac or "converted alltrac), it should be possible still.

If you sold your car for half of what you put into it (as you know, you never get what you put into it), and add the 7k budget, you're working with 10k.

That's plenty to find a decent alltrac with some extra cash for bolt ons and suspension work. You'll still have fun and you have the proper platform for awd.

Bryan

underscore

TakumiRolla":1rdafgog said:

You'd be better off to swap in a 3SGTE than to make a 5SFE+T.

GMan

WarTowels":y3jr5akk said:
Make an All-trac a convertible! lol.
Pretty sure no one has done that one.
-Towels
I have pics to Prove there was at Least One convertible AWD swap.
It is possible to mount the rear subframe to the fwd platform.
(Not the best or safest, but good enough for daily driving)
Picture 1674.jpg

Look on http://www.6gc.net for several methods to pull off the awd & 3sgte swap.
The 6th gen is not identical, but it give you an idea of what is required.

My favorite swap :evil:
See what is required to build up a TWIN TURBO V6 AWD CELICA BUILD (C.M.S )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixdJFXJcl3E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9W0xvFlWVQ

Any AWD swap is not easy or cheap but possible.
Many have tried and failed; but a few Have succeeded with their swap dreams.
Budget ? Have Plenty of cash for any unexpected expenses. They WILL happen :doh:

Pleasant regards;

l0ch0w

When doing a halftrac build if you use an E153 tranny out of an MR2 you can get factory LSD. The LSD transmissions themselves are a bit spendy though. Usually $800+

WarTowels

GMan":3vebfdzd said:
WarTowels":3vebfdzd said:
Make an All-trac a convertible! lol.
Pretty sure no one has done that one.
-Towels
I have pics to Prove there was at Least One convertible AWD swap.
It is possible to mount the rear subframe to the fwd platform.

You misunderstood me, my suggestion is to make an All-trac a convertible- in other words start with an All-trac and turn it into a convertible.

It was just a joke,

-Towels

warracer

In my honest opinion, if I we're you I would just drive the car as is, hell your 14 years old. I would drive it daily, from home to school. Make improvement to the yet very capable FF platform 5S-FTE (slap a turbo on) or just swap 3SGTE when you are ready, but before that remember that the car was built for the 2.2L N/A engine, which means you need to add rigidity to the chassis, im pretty sure does kinds of mods would improve by ALOT the all around feeling of the car, strut bar, underbrace, suspension, bushing easy stuff to learn and improve your mechanical skills and knowledge...
I would just look at this awesome FF project viewtopic.php?f=44&t=43415&hilit=fwd

That shows clearly that you can have PLENTY of fun with a FF ST182...
Sharpen your driving skills,and if you still love the GT-Four (Alltrac) when you grow up, why not get one, if you have a summer job at around 16-17 you could easily save up to buy one, thats what I did personally