Trying to finish my ST205 into an ST185 wiring

brickwallmusic

I'm currently working on my ST185 putting a complete engine, tranny, transfer case from a ST205 just getting the wiring figured out. I'm trying to use the harness from the ST185. 2 problems: 1. The ST205 motor came with the wiring harness mostly complete except for the fuse box and it's connectors, the fuse box had been cut off. The ST205 motor also came with a vane AFM. I didn't think the ST205 had those?!?!? It doesn't seem to plug in anywhere on the harness though. What does the MAF connectors look like? 2. My wiring harness from the car (ST185) seems to be fairly messed up. There is a connector on that harness that plugs perfectly into the speed sensor on the tranny from the ST205. That doesn't make any sense either because the ST185 has a speedo cable that goes right in the same spot as the speed sensor on the ST205. What else could that connector be for!! Any help, please!!!

Attachments

• photo_1.jpg
    photo_1.jpg
    902.5 KB · Views: 150
  • photo_2.jpg
    photo_2.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 150

brickwallmusic

And this is a temp sensor I think... For the intake? Or is it ambient? How do I wire this into the ST185 harness?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 150

Corey

This thread may help. http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=2 ... ight=ishii

I recently did this upgrade to my car.

That black sensor pictured above is the Airbox Intake Air temp sensor. It can be wired into the 185 harness via the AFM plug.
There is a second air temp sensor which is installed in the intake manifold and it too can be wired into the AFM plug.

That Mr2 thread will explain the process.

Cheers

Corey

brickwallmusic

I don't think it is cause the ECU can get that info from the AFM. I think you just have to swap some of the wires around on the ECU harness.

CMS-GT4

I think I used wires from the afm to this temp sensor and then made sure pins at the ecu matched.
Asking these questions in the 205 swap thread helps keep this info together for future swappers.

If you look at the 205 bgb there should be a page of plug ends. You can use this to identify the plug then cross reference it with the wire color in the wiring diagram to figure out exactly what plug goes to what. Then you either match that to the equal on the 185 harness or use an unused wire from the 185 harness and move its pin to the respective spot at the ecu.

On the 1st photo, VSS plug, the Red/Blue stripe is 12V IG, the middle wire is sensor/chassis ground & the last wire is signal to the cruise control.....but it doesnt matter, you need the speedo cable to run your 185 speedo, so if you're keeping the cruise control just remove the 205 vss & put the 185 vss in its place, no rewiring necessary

BTW: did you move the outside wires, because the 205 bgb have them in reverse order

brickwallmusic

That's kind of why I'm confused. If it was a harness from a ST205 it would be the VSS connector. I traced the wires one is for the backup send and one is a return. Goes to ign 1 or ign 2. I can't remember which one. Which is strange also because the 2 pin connector for the backup switch is still on top of the tranny. I need to double check what that connector I think hooks up to the switch on top of the tranny.

phattyduck

What year is your ST185 and what specific model is it? (where was it delivered, etc.)

Was the car running when you got it? Any more background on that would be nice.

-Charlie

brickwallmusic

It's a 1990 Canadian car. Pretty sure the motor that was in it wasn't original but was from at least an ST185 (valve cover and oil filter placement at ST185) the wiring harness was pretty hacked up. It wasn't running when I bought it but I got it running when I cut a wire the other owner had run from one or the coolant sensors to a wire on the ECU. It had a coolant temp sensor code in it. It did burn oil bad (turbo) and the tranny was in really rough shape.

On the 2nd pic with the notch in the upper right....It matches my 205 connector & it does not plug into anything else on the 185 or 205

alltracman78

Your 185 probably has a JDM harness that's been modded for LHD. JDM got the electronic speedo with the connector you have, identical to the ST205.
US/Canada also has a connector for the speedo, as well as a cable. The connector is triangular instead of 3 in a row though.

I wouldn't suggest wiring your intake temp sensor to the airbox, the ECU wants to see air temp after the turbo and intercooler with that sensor. Especially since you already have that sensor installed in the intake.

The temp sensor in the airbox is the same for the 5SFE and 4/7AFE. Very easy to find at any yard, so no reason to leave it not hooked up.

For the 92/93 ST185 the wiring is almost identical on the engine. I was running my 185 engine with an ST205 ECU. I made 2 jumper harnesses [1 for the intake temp sensor to EGR connector and 1 for the airbox temp sensor to AFM connector]. I also had to switch 3? or 5? wires around at the ECU. That and building the circuit to get rid of code 54. Even if you have an ST205 engine the connectors are all the same ON THE ENGINE, except for the 2 mentioned[temps sensors]. Just for clarification I'm not talking about the chassis connectors, those are different.

A pre revision [90/91] ST185 has a few more differences in the wiring. Off the top of my head, the alternator and knock sensor are different, as well as the 2 temp sensors. There are also a couple more wires that have to be switched.

oka

Off the topic. Sorry. Im doing a 165-205 swap. Which axles did u used?? Will the 165 axle bolt into the 205 tranny. Thanks