Stock ecu not programmable from dyno ?

celigts

If I was to have my car dyno'd would there program be able to tune it on site from the stock rom unit or no? Didn't think so but asking anyways.

Otherwise is it worth it to get it reprogrammed by ats?

How about st205 ecu's?

celigts

Stand alones are alot :/ piggyback I'm finding is the option to go. Was priced at $999 from ats for the stock ecu reprogram.

l0ch0w

Figure this... The stock ECU has a hardware flashed ROM. Its a very early and very crudely programmed ECU. Heck its still OBD I. If you wanted to flash the stock ECU, you would need to un-solder the rom chip, put it into a reflashing machine, know how all the code talks to itself, and manually update all of the fueling tables. I believe that ATS racing down in Texas has been able to see the code on the factory ECU, but its still unknown what everything does. Look around, see if you can find a PowerFC or a megasquirt for cheap. Only issue with MS is that you probably will have to do all the tuning yourself. There arent exactly people out there who are paid to tune megasquirt...

underscore

I don't think any car has a tuneable stock ECU, you're best bet if you have issues with the stock setup would be to go to a standalone, IIRC piggybacks can only make very minor tweaks due to how our system works.

l0ch0w

Most honduhs and subarus can have a rom tune done with special and cheaply available equipment. They just plug into the OBDII port and tune away, its literally as simple as that.

UtahSleeper

The reason I think the MS3 is worth a look is with all the IO. I have looked into the AEM-EMS4 and the MS3 had more potential for expansion, which It hink is a good thing to keep in mind, but available tuners is something to keep in mind also.

Bobbyx661

so i have an apexi AVC-R,and some people were telling me i can somewhat tune the car through that. is that true?? they are mostly honda boys lol so id rather ask you guys!

warracer

Imo if you really want to go on the cheap (like me :lol: ) You could do the honda ECU conversion, basically, you need to mod your distributor abit , quick wiring job, and voila , on the cheap standalone ... (google it) Ill probably be doing that this summer

polm

warracer":12lapi9j said:
Imo if you really want to go on the cheap (like me :lol: ) You could do the honda ECU conversion, basically, you need to mod your distributor abit , quick wiring job, and voila , on the cheap standalone ... (google it) Ill probably be doing that this summer
+1 on that, we're doing it together. Check this out: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tech-c ... ement.html Once chipped it's essentially a standalone with as much features as a decent mid priced ecu like a power fc, and that includes launch control, flat foot shifting, tvis control, etc... Oh and it can be done for less than 200$ (I have most of the parts except for the distributor and I'm at 130$ into this right now). The wiring is a bit tricky but easy once you figure it out, just make a patch harness so you don't have to hack your original harness. You might as well want to check this out while we're at it: http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=295554 Another great solution that I'm doing. A top feed 750cc setup for 125$ ish...woot! I picked up some wrx blue injectors from an 04 for 90$ shipped and the scrap yard wants 15$ for a 5sfe fuel rail off a camry. The remainder is for the lines and o-rings. You can use the stock pressure regulator but you might as well upgrade while you're at it. Oh and don't forget to remove the resistor box, these are high impedance. Oh and both mods are from the same guy, Karl is a great! (plus he's super friendly and helpful)
Cheers!
Pierre

polm

celigts":3tzl9lp7 said:
This is sounding like my kind of thing. Except for the wiring part and resistor removal.

Make a write up :)
Will do when I get to finally do this build! lol

phattyduck

celigts":31frfs8g said:
This is sounding like my kind of thing. Except for the wiring part and resistor removal.

Make a write up :)
Removing the resistor? At the resistor box, cut all the wires and connect them together...

-Charlie