Polyeurethane bushing durability?

warracer

Hi,

I currently need to change my bushings, at the front and in the rear, I was looking at the GT4-Racing bushing kit since it includes both outer and inner bushing in the rear. My only concern with these is the over time durability. Since stock bushing flex with the suspension, I heard that poly bushing with slide on the sleeve, and that could cause, after a long period of time, wear on the bushing. And wear on a bushing is not the kind of thing I want since changing all theses is one hell of a job, I don`t specifically drive my car harsh , some track days here and there, but primarily daily driven smoothly. How long do you guys think these will last? I heard stories that poly bushing lasted in general 5-6years, which in my opinion is not alot for a daily driver... Should I just go OEM? But then again toyota don't offer the inner toe control link bushing, they only the the arm and bushing as a whole (I had to buy one recently) and priced @ 230$cdn....

What are your thoughts? :)

here's a link to GT4-Racing website: http://www.gt4-racing.eu/index.php/toyo ... shes-st185

1337computing

I just replaced mine in the rear. From what I read on here and I think everyone else will agree is that you want to stay oem on the rear bushing No.1 and No.2. The rest your ok to go with poly. Heres the link to the ones I got they worked great only thing the innner sleeve where the bolt gos through is to small for oem bolts. I went to the hardware store got grade 8 zinc coated bolts did the job probably better then it would have been.

http://www.proimporttuners.com/parts/19 ... -sets.html

You want the Rear Lower Control Arm Outer Bushing Kit and you need two kits one for each side. I'm sure you will get some other replys along with mine.

warracer

Why is that ? The suspension would get too stiff and could possibly break under impact or is there another reason not to change bushing 1 and 2 (trailing arm and toe control arm) the trailing arm bushing seems to suck to me in stock form, the stock bushing seems waaaay too soft to hold the hub assembly position properly under stress, I even recall reading a white-line suspension article about the rear stock trailing arm bushing that was an issue when setting up the car due the flex...

New Guy

Stock bushings are spherical, the poly ones are cylindrical. Unless you're pushing serious power, the poly bushings just make for a rougher ride and they bind up badly.

jaydog82

I'm running the gt4 poly bushings in the rear including the number 1 and 2 without any problems. It is quite a major job changing them out it took me 2 days doing it on car without a press. Talk to klue aka Luke he can order them for you, shipping was super fast and the price was cheaper than going through gt4.

warracer

so after reading this I came to a hypothesis, the best compromise would be for the rear to use the OE spherical bushing for arm 1 and 2 and install poly for the rest, its still debatable but i think i will go on that route, and for the front, poly or OE?

jaydog82

I was going to go that way, but I could not spend that extra money. The poly all around are working fine so far.