Can I install struts with ground controls from home?

celigts

Is this possible and do I need anything special? Things to watch out if I can? I have my front struts here and want to replace them.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367717962.275865.jpg

maxxhavoc

If you are asking if adding GC coilovers to your struts is possible - Yes, I have them on my GTS. They work pretty well for the money, but expect clunking. Much, much clunking.

celigts

maxxhavoc":qkp68acb said:
If you are asking if adding GC coilovers to your struts is possible - Yes, I have them on my GTS. They work pretty well for the money, but expect clunking. Much, much clunking.

No no. If changing struts is possible from home without special tools. Did you install the kit with the rubber o-rings in the height adjusting sleeve?

lumbercis

Look in the BGB and it will usually tell you if you'll need specific tools. (Celicatech hosts online versions). Never start a job on your car without reading the repair manual instructions first.

Replacing struts is relatively simple. I've done it in my driveway several times. I'm not sure if there are any special considerations for the ground control sleeves. I imagine the clunking that was reported earlier may be due to needing helper springs, but not sure since I've never had them.

CMS-GT4

I thought the GC sleeve were supposed to be welded to the strut housing? Is this no longer the case or only optional?

underscore

celigts":27xycivf said:
maxxhavoc":27xycivf said:

No no. If changing struts is possible from home without special tools. Did you install the kit with the rubber o-rings in the height adjusting sleeve?

I'm not sure if you'd call this a special tool or not, but you'll need spring compressors to safely take the old springs off.

celigts

Don't need the old springs or mounts as I have some from a 184. Literally just needed to know about it being possible.

But since nearly soon the car will be parked ill have the time to have it properly done still at home tho.

88st165

Shouldn't take you more than an hour really to do a direct swap granted that none of the bolts will give you any fuss. Don't need any special tools but air tools or at least a breaker bar will help with the two lower mounting bolts which would prob be the most difficult. What struts do you have paired with the ground controls just curious?

maxxhavoc

celigts":2ghq3w81 said:
Did you install the kit with the rubber o-rings in the height adjusting sleeve?

Yes, the sleeves took some pressure to get over the rings. The spring is the clunking part.

Speed bumps and turns make the top mount clunk around. It doesn't bother me...if it did some bushings and putting rubber sleeves on the springs would help. The spring is just too short for the space it is in, so it moves up and down a lot.

88st165

I have something similar on my civic SI (not GC but redshift) with koni yellows. I have helper springs to take up the slack when suspension is at full droop. I also added thrust bearings and turned my own spring couplers on my buddy's lathe out of delrin to keep the main and helper springs co linear. No noises at all and feels very solid. Maybe something to consider.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368032787.555597.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1368032797.354891.jpg

88st165

Haha. There were a couple reasons why I made my own spring couplers. There are many available off the shelf that hold the springs on the inside diameter. This wouldn't work for me since the spring perch would interfere with it so I made mine hold the springs on the OD. Also I found one version that hold the OD but the ID on it was still present so I would have to fork over the $100 for a pair and still machine them for clearance. Lastly, making stuff is just fun anyway lol.

I def would look onto helper springs if you are having issues with the springs leaving the seat while driving but you really shouldn't experience that unless you're getting air or lifting tires off the ground when turning. I just did it bc it would piss me off to make sure the springs seat correctly every time I lower my car. I change wheels alot for track and dd and autox since I use my civic for all that. (Haven't driven my celicas in 3+yrs. Common trend with some of us lol)

underscore

My GTS ran into issues when I hit a big frost heave (with really old struts mind you) and the spring was able to shift so when the weight came back down, the spring was crooked. It ended up toasting the inside of my tire :(

88st165

Def a good reason to get helpers but by the time you add up the GC kit, helpers, struts, camber plates, you are already well into the range of entry level coilovers like Megans, ksports, d2s, cx, xyz etc. which I think is money well spent at that point. That's why I had Megans on my red 165 before I sold them to bloodmoney. Kinda wish I didn't to be honest bc then is prob be driving my car right now lol.

lumbercis

^Koni inserts are better quality than any 'entry-level' coilover you can buy. If you just need simple street suspension to replace old parts there's nothing wrong with getting cheapo coilovers but if you plan to do any kind of auto sport and care about handling you'd be better off with Koni inserts and coilover sleeves. They're really a bargain for what you get. Just a little more effort to piece together.

88st165

Yes I realize that and that's why I use them on my other car. I did not mention any strut brand specifically but my point was that even with kyb agx's which aren't that great (I have those as well) still the cost is almost more than an entry level coilover. Plus you have to package it and deal with minor issues that come along with piecing things together rather than running something that was designed to be together. I'm not advocating the use of cheap entry level coilovers at all (I sold my Megan's) I am merely saying for those who want something to bolt on its not a bad option when you consider it as a whole (camber plates, independent height and spring preload adjust, pillow ball mounts, etc). For those who want all out performance at a decent cost then GC sleeves and koni inserts are prob the best bang for the buck. I am not trying to force my opinion on anyone just expressing it, sorry for getting a bit off topic.

Good luck with the install.